HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Lani

Gotta love this title: metastatic brst cancer as an incurable disease: a tenet with a

NEED FOR REVISION, And this study, hot off the press, reviewed patients diagnosed between 1990 and 1999. As mindsets change, perhaps as patients are followed more carefully with imaging capable of diagnosing metastasis sooner, perhaps by adding bone marrow biopsying early and frequently to discover mets when there are only a few disseminated tumor cells and phenotyping (characterizing) the micromets or circulating tumor cells early to determine which pathways are their Achilles's heels, with targetted treatments of cancer stem cells perhaps this 3% can be expanded. I would like to have seen how herceptin and Cyberknife use changed the average survival in their metastatic patients with oligo(few)metastatic disease. Those longterm Stage IV survivors who contribute to this board certainly amount to more than 3 % of those with Stage IV MBC I would think.

Cancer J. 2009 January/February;15(1):81-86.

Distant Metastatic Breast Cancer as an Incurable Disease: A Tenet With a Need for Revision.

Güth U, Huang DJ, Dirnhofer S, Rochlitz C, Wight E.
From the *Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, University Hospital Basel (UHB), Spitalstrasse 21, Basel CH-4031, Switzerland; daggerInstitute of Pathology, University of Basel, Schönbeinstrasse 40, Basel CH-4031, Switzerland; and double daggerDepartment of Medical Oncology, UHB, Petersgraben 4, Basel CH-4031, Switzerland.
PURPOSE:: Published reports provide level-III evidence in support of the hypothesis that distant metastatic breast cancer (MBC) might be curable in up to 3% of cases through a multidisciplinary approach including combination chemotherapy regimens in selected patients, usually young, and with limited metastases. Our study evaluates the rate and characteristics of long-term survivors based on a nonselective study cohort. PATIENTS AND METHODS:: We analyzed the data from 149 patients in whom distant MBC was diagnosed from 1990 to 1999. RESULTS:: Five patients (3.4%) were long-term survivors (9-14 years after initial diagnosis of MBC) without any clinical evidence of disease. They had a 2-peaked distribution of age: 3 were 41-57 years old at the diagnosis of MBC and 2 were much older (76, 79 years). Median survival time after diagnosis of MBC was 152 (range, 109-172) months. Three patients had isolated metastatic lesions, although 1 patient had multiple organ metastases and another extensive bone metastases. In 4 of 5 cases, long-term survival was achieved without the administration of chemotherapy. DISCUSSION:: Long-term survivors in MBC comprise a relatively heterogeneous group, and the factors which lead to the quite rare situation of long-term survival can hardly be evaluated systematically. Aggressive chemotherapy regimens appear not to be a key factor for survival. Furthermore, in a nonselective study cohort, some patients clearly are not only alive but also disease-free more than 12 years after initial relapse. This fraction may be small, but the chance for survival, and even for cure, truly exists.
PMID: 19197181
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Lani

a closer reading of the article

showed two of the five longterm survivors were her2 -. the other three were never tested for her2/unknown her2 status
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
StephN

Wink

Dear Lani -
The mere FACT that anyone is even thinking this way (c-u-r-e - gasp! - for stage IV) is heartening. With or without HER2. I have gotten so used to thinking of myself as a person with a chronic disease called breast cancer, that a different view would be refreshing.

Thanks, and keep them coming, OK?

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
schoolteacher

Lani,

Thanks for the article and pointing out that two were HER2 positive.

Amelia

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
Sherryg683

Man, I love that word..cure...I am so hoping for that..sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote