HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2017, 05:12 AM   #41
TiffanyS

Re: Back Pain

Thanks Juls, I discussed my CT scan results with my oncologist during treatment yesterday. She doesn’t think the results were as bad and I do, and she was very happy that the lymph nodes were stable, and, while the nodules on my lungs did grow a little bit, they are all very small and will not cause any health issues to me at this time. I asked her how many nodules I had on my lungs, and she said she didn’t know. I counted 14 on the report, however, she advised that there were probably more than that. She did advise, however, that not all of them will be cancerous. There’s no way of knowing for sure what nodules are cancerous and what ones are not though, without doing a biopsy, and it’s too difficult to do that with so many nodules. Besides, lung biopsies are only 80% accurate, so there’s really no point in doing one.

My doctor and I discussed transferring me to the drug T-DM1, however, she thinks the Perjeta/Herceptin/Taxol treatments still have activity, as they stopped the growth of the lymph nodes and some pulmonary nodules, and slowed down the growth of the other nodules which have increased by only 1-2 mm. She advised that if I transfer to T-DM1 now, and it doesn’t work, OHIP won’t pay for me to take Perjeta and Herceptin again. We decided that I would continue with the Perjeta/Herceptin/Taxol until I get back from my trip in mid-May, and then I will go for another full body CT scan, and, based on those results, we will either continue as is, or transfer to the T-DM1. She also advised that she will give me a 50% dosage of chemo before I go to visit my family at Easter, so I don’t have to fly with bad chemo side-effects, and I will take a chemo break before leaving for my trip to Europe.

I then followed up in regard to the genetic testing, and asked when I could expect an appointment for my blood tests. It turns out that this test does not require a blood test, and that she sent a sample of tissue from my tumour to Foundation One. Apparently they only do this test for free for 10 patients every year, and I was lucky to have been selected for these test. My doctor actually got the test results yesterday, and she printed a copy for me to read, and said we would discuss these results at my next appointment in two weeks. I gave the report a quick overview yesterday (it’s quite long) and it found 11 genomic alterations (mutations), 3 therapies associated with potential clinical benefit (medication that might help against 3 of these mutations), and 13 clinical trials from which that I might benefit. I ask my doctor if there were any clinical trials I could participate in now, and she advised that it’s too early to put me in a trial, as right now, my current treatment plan is working (although not as well as I would like it to), and, once it stops working, I still have to try T-DM1.

In regard to my back pain, she has no idea what’s causing it. My bones and spine looked good on my CT scan, and her only suggestion was that I pulled a muscle, or that I had a gull bladder attack. She gave me a perception for Percocet for the pain, and told me that if the pain persists, she’ll send me for an x-ray. In the meantime, my back pain as been much better these last few days, so, maybe it really was just a pulled muscle. If it was, it must have been really bad, as I’ve never experienced that much pain before in my life.

I also went for a brain MRI on Monday evening, but my oncologist didn’t have the report back. She took a quick look at the scan, and said it looked good, but, she told me not to quote her on that as she’s not a radiologist. As a side note, my doctor also sent me for an ECG, as my heart rate has been up for the last four months. My last echo results were down one point, and I’m due for another echo in the next couple of weeks. I hope everything is okay, as I really don’t want to take a Herceptin break right now.

Anyway, that’s all that’s going on with me right now. For now, I’m just going to continue living my life as normally as possible, and I’m looking forward to my upcoming trip to Europe.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Second mammogram and ultrasound.
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
01/16 – Chest scan and bone scan done– all looks good.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s post surgical. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months).
04/16 – Have port put in.
04/16 – Get second dose of chemo, but Docetaxal is left out due to liver enzymes being high. I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment.
06/16 – Finished chemo! One month off and then I start radiation.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
07/16 – First radiation treatment – 24 more to go!
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my chest wall. I am told that I have a local recurrence and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Go for rush ultrasound, bone scan, breast MRI and CT scan.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM-1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
11/16 - CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are normal at 19.
11/16 – Second CEA blood test – Tumours markers are still normal at 1.6 Second CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are still normal at 19
11/16 – Develop lymphedema and have to wear a sleeve
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to monitor it for now.
01/17 – A second “pimple” shows up on chest wall, as well as a small lump under the skin. My doctor thinks it’s scar tissue and will monitor it for now.
0/17 – Started to develop severe back pain – worried the cancer has spread to my spine.
03/17 – Third CEA blood test and CA-15-30 blood test – Both normal at 2.5 and 25
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – results are mixed. The good news is, lymph nodes are stable, there was improvement of previous lung changes due to radiation, and the cancer has not spread to my bones, spine or liver, etc. The bad news is that while some lung nodules remained stable, others increased by 1-2 mm and new ones have shown up. All of them were less than 1cm.
03/17 – Second brain MRI –awaiting results
03/17 – Ultrasound scheduled to determine size of “pimples” on my chest wall. They will follow up with a second Ultrasound in three months, to see if they are growing
05/17 – Full Body CT Scan Scheduled to see if I’m still stable
TiffanyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:08 AM   #42
Juls

Hi Tiffany
Glad you got to discuss results with your oncologist & good to know you have TDM-1 to go to if required. Here in Scotland its not readily available. (As you know I'm only getting it because its a trial)
Genetic testing not done here either! I asked about this prior to starting this trial and was told the test was not what most people think (?) Think he just didn't want to discuss.

Re your back - my Daughter had similar pain a few weeks ago & managed to get ultrasound done in a few days. Pain had her doubled over. Doctor suspected irritation in gall bladder. Ultrasound unclear but after about a week pain gone!

I'm sure you are glad all these tests are over!!

Juls
Juls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:30 AM   #43
TiffanyS

Hi Juls, I’m very happy that T-DM1 is offered here, and I hope it works for me when the time comes for me to take it. My doctor told me it works well for most people, but not all. She told me the same thing about Perjeta, and it’s not working as well as I thought it would. Oh well. I hope the review board agrees to fund T-DM1 in Scotland. If it doesn’t, I hope you all keep on fighting for it, as it’s a necessary medication for people with HER II positive breast cancer. It is a home run for a lot of people, can save lives.

I still have one more ultrasound schedule for the end of the week in order to determine size of “pimples” on my chest wall. They will follow up with a second Ultrasound in three months, to see if they are growing. If they are, we will know that they are cancerous. If not, we will know that they are just scar tissue. After that, I should be done with tests until May, other than my echo test due in the next couple of weeks.

I don’t understand half of what the genetic test results are saying, so I’ll have to discuss it further with my doctor in two weeks. I just know that it says I have 11 mutations, and that there is a medication I can take for three of the 11 mutations. In regard to the rest, there are currently clinical trials taking place to find a medication to help with those mutations. I’m not sure if my doctor will put me on the other medications or not. They may interfere with my chemo.

If my back pain comes back, I will definitely ask my doctor to send me for an ultrasound to see if it’s my gall bladder. I’m just happy it’s not the cancer spreading to my bones/spine!

12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s post surgical. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months).
04/16 – Get second dose of chemo, but Docetaxal is left out due to liver enzymes being high. I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my chest wall. I am told that I have a local recurrence and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM-1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
11/16 – Second CEA blood test – Tumours markers are still normal at 1.6 Second CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are still normal at 19
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to monitor it for now.
01/17 – A second “pimple” shows up on chest wall, as well as a small lump under the skin. My doctor thinks it’s scar tissue and will monitor it for now.
0/17 – Started to develop severe back pain – worried the cancer has spread to my spine.
03/17 – Third CEA blood test and CA-15-30 blood test – Both normal at 2.5 and 25
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – results are mixed. The good news is, lymph nodes are stable, there was improvement of previous lung changes due to radiation, and the cancer has not spread to my bones, spine or liver, etc. The bad news is that while some lung nodules remained stable, others increased by 1-2 mm and new ones have shown up. All of them were less than 1cm.
03/17 – Ultrasound scheduled to determine size of “pimples” on my chest wall. They will follow up with a second Ultrasound in three months, to see if they are growing
Old 03-22-2017, 07:40 AM   #44
Cathya

Tiffany;

Years ago, prior to my diagnosis of breast cancer, I had a pimple like thing on my chest. I went to see a skin doctor about it and he told me he couldn't tell if it was nothing or a metastasis. He gave me some cortisone cream and told me to use it for two weeks and if it didn't go away to come back as it was then likely a metastasis. Just a thought. Of course I guess that wouldn't work for scar tissue but this does happen to lots of us.

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #45
TiffanyS

Hi Cathy, the pimples are along my scar line are right beside where the masses grew back the first time I had a recurrence, so we know that they are either scar tissue or cancer. I don’t think a cortisone cream would work on scar tissue, but I can ask my doctor. If she’s okay with it, I’ll try it. I’ll try anything right now to find out if I’ve had another cancer recurrence!

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 03-24-2017, 01:24 PM   #46
Juls

Hi Tiffany

Just found out that trial I have started do a genetics test!
Done by Foundation One.
The report is not automatically sent out but Doctor can ask for it.
Think I'll ask about this at next visit.
Could be interesting reading!

Juls
Old 03-27-2017, 04:44 AM   #47
TiffanyS

That’s great Juls. I hope your doctor agrees to order the genetic tests for you. The results may determine valuable information regarding your cancer and what medication may work for you.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
03/17 – Received my genetic test results from Foundation One. It found 11 genomic alterations, 3 therapies associated with potential clinical benefit, and 13 clinical trials from which I might benefit.
05/17 – Full body CT scan scheduled to see if I’m still “stable”.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:34 AM   #48
TiffanyS

I went for an ultrasound on Friday afternoon to determine the size if the pimples on my chest wall, in order to monitor their growth, if any. I just got a call from the clinic, who advised that the radiologist has reviewed my results, and wants me to come in for a Fine Needle Aspiration, which is a type of biopsy procedure. I am not sure if my doctor is aware of this, as she did not want to biopsy the area. That being said, I’d like to know for sure of these pimples are cancer or scar tissue, and doing this will determine that. I’m pretty sure at least one of the pimples are cancer, which means a second recurrence. I’m starting to believe my doctor when she says I have the most aggressive cancer in the world!

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
03/17 – Received my genetic test results from Foundation One. It found 11 genomic alterations, 3 therapies associated with potential clinical benefit, and 13 clinical trials from which I might benefit.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:42 AM   #49
TiffanyS

Good news. I saw my massage therapist yesterday, and we think we know what’s been causing my back pain. We both think that the pain on my right side is caused by the excessive coughing I do, which put one or two of my joints out of whack. She went into detail about what could have happened, and it makes senses. Of course, we don’t know for sure if this is the case, but it’s a plausible theory. I have been coughing more than usual lately, as my chest congestions has been getting worse with each treatment, and I’m going to have to talk to my doctor and see if there’s something she can give me to help with the coughing. I’m currently taking an over the counter drug, but I can’t take that forever.

On another note, when my doctor found out about the Fine Needle Aspiration, she cancelled my appointment, so I won’t be getting that anymore.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 04-07-2017, 05:03 AM   #50
TiffanyS

I had really bad back pain again on Wednesday night, and even called in sick on Thursday because I hadn’t slept all night. I did some research online yesterday, and it would appear that pain on one side of your back and side is a common side-effect for people who have been on Taxol for a long period of time. If this is the case though, I’m not sure why my doctors keep saying they don’t know what’s causing the pain. The only thing we do know is that it’s not the cancer, as my last scan showed nothing on my bones or spine, etc. My doctor gave me Percocet for the pain, but it doesn’t help much, and the only thing that works is Tylenol 1. The downside to this is, I don’t think I’ll ever be done with chemo, which means I’ll have to deal with these side effects for the rest of my life, which means taking drugs like Tylenonl 1 every day for the rest of my life. It’s that or being in pain every day. Has anyone else experienced back pain while on Taxol, and, if so, can you recommend any natural remedies for the pain? I’d rather not have to depend on drugs like Tylenonl 1 if I don’t have to.

12/15 – First mammogram
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months). I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment due to liver enzymes being high.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – results are mixed. The good news is, lymph nodes are stable, there is improvement of previous lung changes due to radiation, and the cancer has not spread to my bones, spine or liver, etc. The bad news is that while some lung nodules remained stable, others increased by 1-2 mm and new ones have shown up. All of them were less than 1cm.
03/17 – Second brain MRI –NED!
03/17 – Ultrasound done to determine size of “pimples” on my chest wall. They will follow up with a second Ultrasound in three months, to see if they are growing
Old 04-12-2017, 04:44 AM   #51
TiffanyS

I finally found out what’s causing my back pain while at treatment yesterday. I had to get a little bit pushy, but, that seems to be the only way to get things done at my clinic. I had asked to see my pharmacist while at treatment yesterday, in order to see if I could take Glocosamine and Chondroitin while on chemo, as I had heard that it works well with joint and back pain. She told me I could take it, but she didn’t want me to, and she said she was going to talk to my oncologist to see if we could come up with something else to treat my pain, as the Percocet wasn’t working, and they didn’t want me to take the Naproxen anymore, as it’s a blood thinner. When she came back, she told me that my oncologist wanted me to continue taking the Percocet every 4 to 6 hours, as it sometimes takes time for it to work. I told her that I didn’t want to take Percocet every 4 to 6 hours, as I had to work during the day, and the Percocet made me too drowsy. Also, as my back pain doesn’t seem to be going away, I didn’t want to take Percocet for a long period of time, as they are addictive. I told her I wanted to find out what’s causing the back pain, so that we could treat it, and asked for a muscle relaxer or anti-inflammatory. She told me that they didn’t want to give me any of those things because they were also blood thinners. I then told her that I was going to continue taking what was working for me, which was Naproxen and Tylenol 1, and that when my doctor started experiencing back pain 24/7, we could talk about what pain meds I should and shouldn’t take. She then left me to go and talk to my oncologist, and my nurse practitioner came back about 5 minutes later, telling me the same thing the pharmacist did. I then repeated the same thing to her as I did to the pharmacist, and she went to talk to my oncologist again. When she came back, she told me that they looked at my CT scan results again, and it would appear that I have developed Atelectasis on my right side, which is a complete or partial collapse of a lung or lobe of a lung, which usually develops when the tiny air sacs (alveoli) within the lung become deflated. They think that it was caused by my not breathing in deeply enough due to the chest congestion I’ve been experiencing for months, and she told me that I have to take 10 deep breaths per hour, and to ask my physiotherapist to perform chest therapy (I had already made an appointment for next week). In the meantime, she told me to take Robax Platinum for the pain, which I found odd as it contains Ibuprofen, which is a blood thinner.

I started the deep breathing yesterday, and my pain was not as bad last night, and I didn’t need to take a second dose of pain meds in the afternoon. I did take the Robax before bed, however, I woke up at 2:00 a.m. with back pain, and finally took another one at 3:00 a.m., but it didn’t seem to work. I took two this morning, in order to see if taking two makes a difference.

What really bothers me about all of this is that I’ve been complaining about back and side pain for months, and they got my CT test results weeks ago, and they just now, after me complaining so much, decided to take a closer look at it to see if there’s something wrong. If I hadn’t been so pushy, they would have just kept trying to pushing the Percocet on me, and wouldn’t have looked into finding the cause. It’s for reasons like that I’m not happy with my oncologist, and would like to find a new one. Unfortunately, that’s very hard to do where I live! Let’s just hope that the deep breathing helps, so I can stop experiencing all of this pain all of the time and get a good nights sleep!

12/15 – First mammogram
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months). I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment due to liver enzymes being high.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – results are mixed. The good news is, lymph nodes are stable, there is improvement of previous lung changes due to radiation, and the cancer has not spread to my bones, spine or liver, etc. The bad news is that while some lung nodules remained stable, others increased by 1-2 mm and new ones have shown up. All of them were less than 1cm.
03/17 – Ultrasound done to determine size of “pimples” on my chest wall. They will follow up with a second Ultrasound in three months, to see if they are growing.
04/17 – Was told that I have developed atelectasis, which is what’s causing my back pain.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:01 AM   #52
Juls

Glad you finally got an answer.
Hope the pain goes away soon!
juls
Old 04-12-2017, 05:02 AM   #53
TiffanyS

Thanks Juls! Me too!
Old 04-20-2017, 04:32 AM   #54
TiffanyS

I went for chest physio yesterday, and it was a good experience. My physiotherapist is new at my clinic, but that turns out to be an advantage to me because he’s fresh out of school and remembers how to treat my condition. He told me that some of the older physiotherapists wouldn’t remember how to do chest physio because they very seldom have to use it. He knew right away what atelectasis was, and, after examining me, he was able to pinpoint where the problem is, and showed me some breathing techniques. Unfortunately, the breathing I’ve been doing for the last week has not been that helpful, because I’ve been breathing from my chest and not my stomach. I need to learn how to breath though my diaphragm, which, for some reason, is hard for me. He also told me that my cough and chest congestion may be caused by the atelectasis, and not by the chemo as originally thought, and that’s what’s making my shortness of breath worse. He told me that once I can get my breathing in order, and fill the air pacs in my lungs, the pain, chest congestion and cough should go away. He also said it shouldn’t take long for the pain to go away, once I get my breathing in order. I hope he’s right as I really don’t want to be in pain during my trip! I’m just happy that we’ve been able to figure out what’s causing this never-ending back pain so that I can deal with it.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
03/17 – Ultrasound done to determine size of “pimples” on my chest wall. They will follow up with a second Ultrasound in three months, to see if they are growing.
04/17 – Was told that I have developed atelectasis due to shortness of breath, which is what’s causing my back pain.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #55
donocco

Tiffany

I didnt read what you wrote word for word. You mentioned the NSAID drugs like Naproxen and Ibuprofen and the fact that they are blood thinners makes your oncologist hesitant to let you use them.

Im curious if the Naprosyn and or Ibuprofen were effective against the pain. If they were maybe you should talk with the oncologist. Every drug is a question of risk vs benefit and if the Naprosyn was effective against the pain the benefit might outway the risk.

Interestingly the Nsaid drugs (Naprosyn, Ibuprofen, Celebrex, Indocin etc) have
an anticancer action at least in a theoretical sense by inhibiting Cyclo-Oxygenase type 2. This may be important in cancer prevention, Im not sure, in any way about treatment of cancer. Yet studies indicate that people who chronically take, say Ibuprofen have less cancer than those who dont.

Im not suggesting you go against the oncologists wishes. But if the Naprosyn and or Ibuprofen were effective in decreasing the pain you should talk with her. The blood thinning action of Aspririn lasts days, while that of Ibuprofen lasts a few hours. If you are takling Ibuprofen and need some kind of invasive surgery, the drug could be stopped one or two days before the surgical procedure.

Paul
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #56
donocco

One thing you have to consider is that Ibuprofen or Naproxen will lower a fever. This may stop you from catching an infection. The problems with this may be as important as the blood thinning action.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:09 AM   #57
TiffanyS

Hi Paul, I’m currently taking Robax Platinum, which is Ibuprofen and Methocarbamol. My nurse practitioner recommended that I try them. They help a little bit with the pain, but it doesn’t completely go away. They just numb the pain. I find that taking the Robax Platinum with the Percocet to be more effective with the pain, however, I only take that a night as the Percocet makes me drowsy. My doctor does not want me to take Naproxen at all, so I’ve stopped taking them. They really would prefer it if I stuck to Acetaminophen, however, I found that it does nothing for me for pain on its own. Even Tylenol 1 doesn’t work for me without adding Ibuprofen or Naproxen. I’m just hoping that this breathing technique that I’m doing works soon, as I’m tired of being in pain all of the time. If you can recommend anything else for pain, I’m listening!

I didn’t know that drugs like Ibuprofen and Naproxen help in cancer prevention. Something to keep in mind.

They did mention the fever issue to me as well, however, when you’re in pain all of the time, you don’t care about things like that. Right now, my goal is to get rid of this constant back/side pain, so that I can enjoy life. I’m going on vacation in a week, and all I can think about it how am I going to enjoy my trip when I’m in pain all of the time.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
04/17 – Was told that I have developed atelectasis due to shortness of breath, which is what’s causing my back pain.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:19 AM   #58
donocco

Tiffany

The fever thing would be important if you were on a chemo drug that lowers white count. The Naprosyn or Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen would lower the fever and prevent recognition of the infection. Hope you find pain relief soon.

Paul
Old 04-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #59
TiffanyS

Thank Paul. So far, my white count has been normal, thanks to the Filgrastim. I haven’t had a fever from chemo yet, and I’ve been getting chemo on and off for over a year not. I’m not that concerned about fever right now.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 04-21-2017, 05:57 AM   #60
Juls

Hi Tiffany
Just read your post re new physio. Sounds like he was very helpful and reassuring!
How are you today? Any improvement yet?
Juls