HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
RobinP

Talking How to block her2 up to 70%!!!!!!!!!!!!

EXCITING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AFter much research, I've learned that by blocking FAS (fatty acid synthase) and her2 at the same time, you may stop the her2 pathway to 70% as discussed in the following article. We can block her2 pathway naturally through green tea, oleic acid, gamma linoleic acid, omega threes and Alpha linoleic acid. Then we can block FAS via black tea.

PS For those on Herceptin, which blocks the her2 pathway, add black tea to your diet to also block FAS, which should increase herceptin efficacy.

" Double attenuation of FAS and HER2 expression dramatically decreased p185HER2 expression (>70% reduction when compared with cells transfected with nonspecific siRNA; Fig. 4Civ'), whereas transfection with suboptimal concentrations of siRNAs targeting either FAS or HER2 caused 30% down-regulation of p185HER2 expression, respectively (Fig. 4C i'–iii'). These findings demonstrating a nearly synergistic down-regulation of p185HER2 by RNAi-induced enzymatic cleavage and breakdown of FAS and HER2 mRNAs further support the hypothesis that FAS signaling plays a key role regulating the expression of HER2 oncogene in cancer cells." See the complete article:

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/101/29/10715

Old 07-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Possible connection

If tea consumption drops significantly in Japanese women who adopt more of a western diet.... tea may be a significant key to that puzzle as well.

Thanks, Robin.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
StephN

Question Tea or other?

Hi -
This is interesting and I do use as many pathways as I feel have been shown to be blocked by competent studies. Had not heard of the FAS/black tea thing.

I have been off caffeine for years - since mets diagnosis. Only get a little from the organic dark chocolate I nibble on.

Wonder if there is another food item that would work against the FAS that we are not yet talking about??

I feel that dietary changes plus Herceptin have worked to keep me in long remission. I am pretty religious about those changes.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Joy

what about if you are also Er/Pr+

this is always an area which confounds me. I am triple postive, I guess still, and sometimes what inhibits in Her2 positivity is proliferative in er positivity. I never know which of these things I should do and I AM willing to do these things and have done in the past, but then got so confused between drug interactions and the intricacies of pathology. Thoughts?

thank you!

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
RobinP

Joy, you want to block the er and her2, her3 pathway simultaneously. I think that is possible to some degree with diet as turmeric and black tea block the er pathway; green tea, black tea, omega threes fatty acids, ALA and GLA block the her2 pathway; and finally black tea also blocks one of her2's major heterdimerizing partners, her3.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28953

Most people don't know if they are her1+, unless they've gone out of their way to be tested.However, to those who are her1+, a natural inhibitor MAY be genistein and other isoflavons:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6638543.html
Old 07-16-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
TSund

Good thread; Ruth has been avoiding caffeine also, but I wonder if the benfits of black tea outweighs this?
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
weezie1053

I am still rather new to this website, but I find myself drawn to this site in an effort to learn more. One of my worst vices is caffeine. I do not drink tea or coffee...just soft drinks. I know there are no nutritional benefits to drinking soda, but is it deterimental or should I simply enjoy one of my vices? I go to a teaching hospital, and I usually see my favorite oncologist, a young fellow, and I am also seen by one of the more senior oncologists. Since I gained 20 lbs. which I can't shake off, she is referring me to a nutritionist. I know I have a lot to learn about the benefits of eating a healthy diet to fight recurrence. Just curious about the affects, if any, of caffeine--in particular out of a soda bottle.

Louise
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:23 PM   #8
MCS

This is very interesting. I have been off caffeine for many many years, since 21, I'm 51 now. I used to get the liquid cysts and the doctor at that time said no more coffee, teas or even decaf for these because still contained caffeine at harmful levels for me. No coke or pepsi or dr pepper etc etc. It did help with controlling of these things

Did any of your doctors recommend Vitamin e. At that time I was told to take 400iu. I am no longer taking it, since I was dx.

Any good tumeric recipes? for chicken?

XOXO

MCS ( maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:31 AM   #9
Morgan

Well as with Rhonda's post on Her2 fighting foods I would like some advice on how much of these Her2 blockers I should be trying to take per day? I drink some olive oil morning and evening, make fresh veggie juice every morning, even take my juicer on holiday!! I have quite a few cups of green tea then heard white tea was high in antioxidants so that joined in and now I'm on black tea as well, there is only so much time in the day to fit all this in, also I have to eat and exercise!

Thanks
Morgan
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #10
R.B.

Morgan, you might like to read the omega three six posts.

This thread has some good links.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ght=greek+diet

Fish oil is as important as olive oil.

Weezie 1053

Many fizzy drinks are high in sugar including fructose and often low in nutrients. They have been linked to weight gain.

Please talk to your doctor about dietary change.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:50 AM   #11
Morgan

RB thanks.
I did check omega 3/6 link but as usual found it hard to take in - chemo brain!
I do take fish oil as well but am not too sure if I take enough. I take Solgar Omega 3 "700" 4 per day giving EPA 1520mg, DHA 1404mg and another omega 3 polyunsaturated fatty acids 240mg.
I'm highly ER+ so not sure about taking flax seed.
Once again I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Morgan
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #12
R.B.

Morgan

Re flax seed - there are differing views - here are some previous links - why not print them out and see what your onc thinks.

This is what a researcher said

"There seems to be a lot of confusion on the website below. I will
attempt to answer some of the questions posted on this site: firstly,
flax oil does not contain any lignans as they do not dissolve in oil.
Lignans are present in every plant food that we eat only more
concentrated in flax and therefore commercially more viable to extract.
There is products available on the market that do deliver specific
quantities of flax lignans.

Lignans are phytoestrogens but they are very weak and only elicit a
very weak estrogenic response. The current research suggests that the
advantage of this is the body detects them as estrogens (which produce a
strong estrogenic response) and therefore produces less harmful
estrogens (homoeostatic process) though inhibition of the aromatase
enzymes, more SHBG to bind estrogens (for elimination from the body) and
increases the conversion of estrogens to the 2OHE metabolism pathway
over the 16OHE (by increasing CYP1A1 enzymes). This whole process has a
cyclic effect with the end result being less bioavailable estrogen
(harmful), increased 2OHE (protective), and decreased 16OHE (harmful).

Only SHBG and bioavailable estrogen are being measured in the blood as
(from above) it is believed that the lignans will decrease the
circulating bioavailable estrogen partly by increasing the circulating
SHBG."

More reading from previous posts

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...highlight=flax

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...ight=flax+seed

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...ight=flax+seed

If you search under flax seed or flaxseed using the search button above you will find more.

RE Omega three intake.

Views on intake differ. There are no absolute answers. The key is to balance your omega threes and sixes, with maybe a bit more three than six, as well as keeping fat intake moderate etc. The body stores fat and more omega six than three so it is about you historic body stores as well as your current intake. Side effects of fish oil are limited for most. As stated elsewhere I have seen a trial which suggests take up of DHA in women drops off at about 2 grams a day.

There are no "right" answers. I cannot give you advice only point you to areas of research and suggest you discuss it with your doctor.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote