HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-07-2006, 11:19 PM   #1
Chelee

1st chemo do different then 2nd?

I have only had two full rounds of chemo and I am confused. The first time I had herceptin, taxotere & carbpotin. Then weekly I was on JUST herceptin. Then due to low white blood count on my last week of the herceptin infusion I ended up in hospital.

So I had 10 days in hospital and about 14 days here at home recovering. So then I go back to have my second full infusion...meaning with ALL three drugs I mentioned above...and this time its been SO DIFFERENT? I even asked my infusion nurse if they gave me something different since I ended up in the hospital?

(One thing I failed to mention...my doctor had me do this infusion different then the first one. I did a concentrated dose of the herceptin, taxotere & carbpotin...and did NOT have the weekly herceptin) He thought that would be better for me.

But this time I have noticed I did not have any of the same side affects as last time. Wasn't as tired. Could eat almost anything. Didn't have that awful taste in my mouth or where my teeth felt covered with something? (Hard to explain..but that was bad!) I did NOT have the body aches and pains all over like the first time. Also the first time the taxotere gave me some tingling in my hands, wrists and knuckles that would come and go. My hands and any injuried place on my body was red..but NOT this time???

Also the first time my finger nails were history almost. Got really thin and would NOT grow. This time my finger nails have NOT been affected at all...and I have even had to cut them and file them? I had lost my hair after the first chemo...but this time my hair is growing. (what little I have on my head)

Does anyone have any idea WHY it woud be so completely different this time. (Don't get me wrong..I am not complaining.) I just don't understand how, or why it is so different? It almost seems like they left one of the drugs out...or changed one? For my finger nails to keep growing is really strange after the first time? I was a mess the first time compared to this time?

I hope this post makes sense and I have confused anyone. The frist time I ached so bad. I couldn't eat at all..had to force myself. Now I have a real appetite...this is so different it blows me away. Anyone have a clue why its this different?

The first week after my 2nd infusion the ONLY thing that seemed like the first time was I was a tired...but thats it. So I am lost on this one?

Last edited by Chelee; 04-07-2006 at 11:22 PM..
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
tricia keegan

Hi Chelee maybe your onc changed the dosage a little as you were so bad after the first one.I hav'nt had this combination so sorry I can't be much help but it's great you are doing so well after this one.Some chemo's do get easier after the first.I had Taxol after a/c and my nails were fine all through the a/c but started breaking on my last Taxol.Also my hair too began to grow on Taxol.I hope you continue to do so well and you'll fly through it.
Tricia
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:04 AM   #3
tousled1

Hi Chelee,

Chemo affects everyone differently. I know myself that my side effects seem to be different each time even with the same meds. I can't understand or explain it so I just try and accept it. If you are truly concerned, please ask your oncologist if they added/took away/or switch drugs. It could be just your body reacting. Good luck to you.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Chelee

Hi tousled1, Maybe its just that simple as you said. That each time you have chemo the side affects change. I have only had two full infusion...(not counting my weekly herceptin) and out of the two full ones...I don't have much to compare it with. I just "assumed" as we all know you shouldn't do...it would be pretty much be the same side affects each time. I guess I got fooled. I DID ask my oncologist & infusion nurse several times if they are SURE they didn't change something on my last chemo? They swear they didn't. But its SO different this time I really would of bet everything that they did....even if it was my accident. Thanks for letting me know it can be different each time. We will see what tomorrow brings for me as it will be my third full infusion. Thanks again!

Hi Tricia, I thought like you said since I had some problems the first round maybe they changed something or gave me less of one of the drugs? But they say its all the same. I can see some differences...but this has been to an EXTREME. I just can't understand why my hair is growing so well...no bone pains at all like the first time...and my finger nails and toe nails are growing. They sure didn't do this the first time. I was a mess. Maybe my body got a little adjusted to it? Oh well...works to me. I noticed you said your hair started growing on the Taxol. So I guess I just can't expect it to be the same way each time. Thanks so much to BOTH of you.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:49 PM   #5
fourboysmom

Hi Chelee,

I had that combo too, and did have different sensations at different times. I know what you mean about that awful taste...also I remember trying to explain to my mom that it felt like there were spiders crawling around in my belly. That sounds ridiculous, I know, but thats what the sensation was like! I would eat to feel better. I know my weight did go up a little with that combo. I had 4 rounds of that group and went on to have A/C for 4 rounds. Like you, I ended up twice in the hospital for low counts. Have you had Neulasta shots the day after chemo to boost your white counts? I'm also getting herceptin. Love, Janet in CT
Old 04-09-2006, 10:55 PM   #6
Unregistered

Hi Janet, At least you know what I mean about that AWFUL taste you get in your mouth...its the worse. Let alone my teeth felt coated with something...I had to brush the lightly but often.

You got me beat on the spiders crawling in your belly type of feeling. That would be just terrible to experience. Yuck! Its sure strange the things you can get after chemo treatments. When it comes to that combo of herceptin, taxotere & carbpotin...I had a totally different experience when it came to eating or drinking then you. I just kind of felt a bit nauseated...but the anti nausea meds helped and I never actually got sick. But I did find as you stated that if I ate something...and with ME...I HAD TO FORCE myself to eat. It was HARD. Then my stomach WOULD feel better. But I had such BAD indigestion and heartburn the first time around. My new oncologist gave me some "Protonix" and Pecid for my stomach..this time was so easy to eat. Those worked wonders. Before having those meds for my stomach..I could hardly drink water without a major problem. As far as my weight goes...I actually dropped 27 pounds after my first chemo...thats how hard it was to eat. And here you had no problems. Boy chemo really does different things to each of us.

I am so sorry to hear you ended up in the hospital twice. That is NO FUN...and you know...I have been there and done that. Don't want to do it again. Once was enough for me! Thats why I am worried about my infusion in the morning.

As far as Neulasta...NOW I am finally getting them. My first oncologist let me go THREE weeks without neulasta knowing full well my counts were low. I was NEW to all this and had no clue about neulasta, my counts or anything. (I think he wanted to save the HMO money?) JMHO

Thats when I landed in the hospital. But my new oncologist has already scheduled me for Procrit that I had last Friday...and I get Neulasta this Tuesday...day after chemo just like your SUPPOSE to get. She seems to care. I could be wrong...but I really feel had I had the neulasta shot the FIRST time around...and my wbc wouldn't of gotten down to 116...I would of been fine. (I could be wrong...just my feelings on it.)

Janet, did you land in the hospital with the low counts after the herceptin, taxotere, and carbpotin combo...or after the AC? Of maybe both? And did you have the Neulasta shots each time after a full chemo session? Did you end up with pnemonia...or did they even know what was wrong? They never really knew with me? I Just got a wide range or anti biotics. Is that what they did for you? Thanks for your post.

Wish me well...I am off to infusion early morning. I pray things go smoothly this time. Warm healing thoughts to ALL OF YOU.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:52 AM   #7
fourboysmom

Hi again, I landed up in the hospital with A/C. No Neulasta with that. But they were my last 4 treatments and effects of chemo are cumulative. My white counts were very low and I developed a sinus infection which various antibiotics could not get ahold of. I needed surgery which helped tremendously. I still have a photo of myself during that time, all puffy, wearing a mask...it wasn't fun, but it certainly gives me a perspective on where I am now! Good luck! Love, Janet