HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #1
Lisalou

Question fluid build up after tissue expanders placed drains out

Hi I had my bilateral mastectomy on 2/17 and have had problems with fluid accumulation ever since the drains were removed. The drainage was very low when they were pulled. The plastic surgeon thought about replacing them but because I have started chemo did not want to due to infection risk. though he is concerned that if for some reason I do get an infection else where, the fluid makes a nice medium for bacteria to grow and could invade the reconstruction areas. He has drawn off fluid by a syringe several times. He said he will not draw off again unless I get uncomfortable with the fluid.
I have been in constant compression trying to keep the fluid from accumulating after he withdraws, and then trying to help it reasorb once it does accumulate.
Has anyone else had this problem and discovered something that works to help the fluid reabsorb?
Thanks
Dx 1/2/2014 IDC ER/PR+
1/10/14 HER2 +
2/14/14 BRCA results negative
2/17/2014 skin & nipple sparing BMX with reconstruction Tissue expanders placed
IDC Stage 2A left breast. 9mm tumor no other CA 1/4 nodes positive
ER + PR + Her2 +(by FISH)
Right breast no cancer, sclerosing adenosis
3/13/14 Round 1 AC minimal side effects
3/27/14 Round 2 AC
4/10/14 Round 3 a little more nausea
4/24/14 round 4 hurray! Done with phase 1!
5/8/14 THP ( taxol weekly x12, Herceptin & perjeta every 3 weeks x 4)
7/24/14 done with chemo
Continue of Herceptin every 3 wks x 1 yr
5/14 start Tamoxifen x 5 years
8/18/14 removal of TEs silicone implants placed
9/14/14 Cellulitis Right Breast, suspect infected implant. Managed with Oral antibiotics, avoided surgery to remove implant. Whew!
12/17/14 nip & tuck revision of Left breast

We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face. The danger lies in refusing to face the fear, not in daring to come to grips with it. We must do that which we think we cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt
Lisalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
RobinP

Re: fluid build up after tissue expanders placed drains out

No not had this, but maybe limit your arm and upper body movements to help decrease your seroma.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
Lisalou

Thanks
I probably should note what I have been doing. Still on weight restrictions for lifting and upper body/arm restrictions since surgery, getting tired of not being allowed to reach for anything. Have done supportive taping, with compression garments over top. Compression of varying sorts 24/7 with the exception of showering. Applying cold packs after the showers (heat followed by cold is supposed to aid in decreasing soft tissue swelling) but does not seem to translate to seromas, for this anyway. Appreciate the post Robin
Thanks
Lisa
Dx 1/2/2014 IDC ER/PR+
1/10/14 HER2 +
3/27/14 Round 2 AC
7/24/14 done with chemo
9/14/14 Cellulitis Right Breast, suspect infected implant. Managed with Oral antibiotics, avoided surgery to remove implant. Whew!

We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face. The danger lies in refusing to face the fear, not in daring to come to grips with it. We must do that which we think we cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 03-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
IrvineFriend

My PS kept draining me until I was less than 30 cc/day. I accidentally pulled my drain out and found it caused a lot of damage when I had my expanders changed out for implants. The inner muscle never came together and had the upper part of the muscle at my neck which caused scaring from the expander popping through my skin. So be sure to watch out for that too. Good luck.
-Julie

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
snolan

I had this problem and was on antibiotics for 3 months and went in to get it drained 2-3 times a week. Placed drains back in and it wouldn't stop producing fluid. Had to take the expander out due to fact that I was supposed to start radiation and couldn't with the fluid and infection. Turned out my PS said I had a seroma under the expander that he wouldn't have been able to reach so nothing we would have done would have helped. I did have some issues with fluid after reconstruction had additional drains in for 5 weeks and it fell out but turned out that a few days later the fluid accumalation stopped and reabsorbed. It was very frustrating as I am sure you are. My PS had recommended taking out the expander from the beginning but I was stubbon and wanted to keep it so I wouldn't have to to the recontruction with the lat flap. He was right in the end, guess thats why he has MD after his name and I don't. Hope this resolves for you I know how frustrating it can be.
Suzanne
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:50 AM   #6
Lisalou

Dear Julie and Suzanne
Thanks for your input. Since the fluid continues to accumulate despite draining I have been taken off restrictions. I am still doing some compress with taping and some additional padding the bra in areas the fluid seems to accumulate. Seems to be helping. I am gradually resuming upper body activities (no badminton yet). My accupuncture herbalist suggested alternating hot and warm compresses (which I have done) but with the addition of calendula ointment of boiling the leaves and using the extract to make the compress. So I believe I will give that a try also. So far no evidence of infection and the PS says the allograft is holding on the pectoral muscle. However I will stay vilgilant watching for both
Thanks for the support
Lisa
Dx 1/2/2014 IDC ER/PR+
1/10/14 HER2 +
3/27/14 Round 2 AC
7/24/14 done with chemo

Old 03-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #7
IrvineFriend

It was my allograft that didn't hold so glad to hear that is doing fine. I didn't have a problem until after several fills so what started to become visible was almost like bruising (I figured I bumped it but since I had no sensation, and wouldn't know I did it). It was bruising from the expander coming through the skin which left a nice big scar. But during my expander exchange, she had alloderm available at the surgery center and put me back together again. She said the alloderm likely didn't work because of the excess fluid so something to watch for. Good luck. Never a dull moment!
-Julie

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote