HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
Kim89

Working during Chemo?

Hello Everyone! So I am a 25 year old with Stage 3a, Grade 2 ER+/PR+ and HER 2+ breast cancer. I had a simple mastectomy on left and prophylactic on the right with tissue expander placement. I am currently undergoing chemo AC (Adriamycin & Cytoxan) have two left and then will start taxol and Herceptin every week for twelve weeks. I am thinking of going back to work on a part time basis. I'm not sure if I want to wear a wig or wrap on my head at work...any thoughts? I walk around on a daily basis with a bald head and am comfortable with it just not sure if I should wear something at work?

Thank you in advance
Kim89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #2
Becky

Re: Working during Chemo?

I wore a wig and took it off as soon as I got into the car to drive home. Ugh. I just didn't want to make everyone feel uncomfortable so I just made myself uncomfortable. Also, I didn't want anyone to think I was on death's door either. I went with my ultra short hair as soon as it looked like an ultra pixie (about 3 1/2 months after chemo was over).

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #3
Bunty

Hi Kim, I've been in this situation many times over the years, and in a couple of different work places. It really depends on you. If you are happy for a wider group at work to know that you are having chemo, then do what you like - scarf, wig or nothing. People will understand. Don't be surprised however, if some people don't know what to say to you, or take a wide berth. Just be yourself. Generally I wore a wig, and as soon as I got home off it came, but other days when I couldn't be bothered I wore a scarf. Actually the interesting thing sometimes is if you have a really good wig, you will get all these compliments saying that they love your new hairstyle (even people who know you are having chemo - go figure?!). Depending on who commented, I would either say it was a wig because of chemo, or just thank them. Then of course, when I would get to the point of showing my new hair, you would get looks occasionally as if to say, "why did you cut off all that lovely hair?"! At the end of the day, the most important thing is that the chemo is doing it's job, and it's not forever.
All the best
Marie
June 2011 3cm x 4cm liver tumour. Started Abraxane and continue with Herceptin.
November 2011. Finished with Abraxane, continue with just Herceptin. Liver tumour now reduced to 15mm x 12mm. Lung tumour now 10mm x 0.5mm
February 2012. Scans show everything stable, and brain scan clear.
July 2012. PET/CT scans show I'm in remission - no active cancer!
]Dec CT brain cllear, lungs stable, liver tumour has increased to 20mm. PET scans showed active liver met and active lung thinglet, and possible bone met.
Jan 2013 recommence Abraxane, continue with Herceptin.
June 2013 finish Cycle 6 Abraxane, continue with Herceptin. 30% reduction in liver tumour, everything stable.
December 2013. CA15-3 on rise.
February 2014. PET and CT scans show single liver tumour has increased to 35mm. No other activity.
March 2014. Planned for SBRT for liver met, but couldn't have treatment as tumour too close to bowel. Continue Herceptin.
April 2014. Surgeon advises that I am a good candidate for liver resection, so will have operation early May (after camping holiday). Tumour now 44mm x 29mm.
May 7, 2014. Two liver tumours surgically removed. Third of liver removed, and gall bladder. Am I NED?May 2014. Pathology of tumour shows it's now ER+ (95% staining).
June 2014. CA15-3 has decreased to 18 from a pre-surgery reading of 59!
June 2014. Started Femara, continue with Herceptin.
July 2014. Stop Femara due to severe Osteoporosis. Commence Tamoxifen, continue Herceptin. Waiting to hear if I can have Aclasta infusion.
August 2014. CA15-3 has decreased further to 12 - YAY!
October 2014. Aclasta infusion for Osteoporosis. November 2014, CA15-3 decreased to 11. Scans of liver all clear, something new showing up on lung, but just watching at the moment.
November 2015. Started SBRT on solitary lung met.
November 2015. Bone density scan showed very good improvement so back on Femara - yay!
December 2016. 6 treatments of SBRT radiation on lung. Seems to have had some effect.
June 2016. CA15-3 still stable and low at 9.
June 2016. Started subcutaneous Herceptin replacing infusion.
Jan 2017. LVEF dropped to 46%. Stopped Herceptin.
Feb 2017. Started ACE Inhibitor and BETA Blocker. Still off Herceptin.
Aug 2017. Two new mets - Portacaval lymph node and mediastinal lymph node.
Aug 2017. Blood tests show extremely elevated liver enzyme levels. Many tests to investigate.
Sept 2017. Portacaval lymph node blocking liver bile duct causing liver enzyme and Bilirubin problems.
Oct 2017. 8cm stent inserted into liver bile duct. Procedure caused pancreatitis, and hospitalised for 3 days. Liver enzymes improving rapidly.
Nov 2017. Commenced 4 weeks of radiation on Portacaval lymph node. 5 week break before chemo.
Jan 2018. CT scan. 11 new small liver mets, and new superclavical lymph node med.
Jan 2018. Start Kadcyla. CA15-3 426.
Apr 2018. First scans since starting Kadcyla. All tumours reducing. CA15-3 dropped to 30 from 426.
Dec 2019. Still on Kadcyla, but two small brain mets have been treated in the past month with SRS. CA15-3 stable for 12 months at 11.
Bunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
snolan

I didn't like the wigs, just wrapped my head for work and wore hats everywhere else.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
sarah

what about doing it late friday so you can rest, as for the wig, depends on your co-workers and how many people you see during the day. try the wig and also some hats that breathe, some friends have just gone bald, worn huge earrings and it's been striking but I couldn't, I got lots of compliments on my wig!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
crb

Kim~I lost my hair two weeks ago. Have worn a wig to work everyday - I am in the medical field, and treat patients, so I did not want my own patients to assume I am "sick" if they saw me with no hair...I feel 100% normal most days and not sick from the chemo at all. Prior to the wig, I had cut my hair short and dyed it back close to my normal color to match the 2 wigs I had bought.

Home I have a bandana or hat on and have only gone out in public without my wig last weekend when we went to a theme park and I was terrified my wig would fly off on a roller coaster...LOL

I would say go with what you are comfortable with! Or you could have fun with it and wear a different wig each day
1/29/14 BRCA normal!
1/31/14 Sentinel node biopsy
2/5/14 Nodes are CLEAR! Stage I/IIa, N0, M0
2/13/14 Start Chemo, 6 rounds for 18 weeks prior to surgery
2/28/14 Port placed
3/6/14 Chemo Round 2
3/27/14 Chemo Round 3 (halfway done!)
4/11/14 u/s shows 2cm tumor about 2x5mm now!
4/17/14 Chemo Round 4
5/8/14 Chemo Round 5 and Daughter's Birthday :)
5/27/14 Last Chemo Party - Round 6
6/17 14 Herceptin only until next Feb.
6/20/14 BMX/Immediate reconstruction DONE
6/30/14 Path report back...NED!
crb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:13 AM   #7
Jackie07

I used a tiny silk handkerchief inside the wig - it's soft and absorbs the oil/heat of the scalp.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
Jean

Kim, I think it depends on you and what your work day involves. For me I work with clients and seeing me bald and in treatment would concern them and certainly effect my business, so for me it was a wig. As a matter of fact I never told any of my colleagues that I was in treatment.
They were surprised when years after treatment I shared with a few that I was dx. with bc. So it depends strongly on the situation. At home I would take the wig off wore scarfs etc or nothing.
Wishing you all the best during your treatment.
No matter what you decide you will be beautiful.
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #9
IrvineFriend

I wore different scarfs made for chemo patients unless I had meetings with people outside my company and then, and only then, would I wear a wig. By end of the day I'd go bald and nobody batted an eye after seeing me a couple of times. With the hot flashes I would have been too miserable. Big earrings helped!

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:59 PM   #10
Aussie Girl

Hi,

I couldn't stand the wig I bought - too hot and prickly for Summer. I would be careful about spending too much money on one with out a trial first. I wore Buff microfiber tubes which were light, quick to put on and stayed put. I was hopeless at tying scarves. By the end I went around bald mostly. It all depends on the shape of your head, and what you can feel comfortable with.

I was basically ordered not to work. I feel I could have worked part time for the third week of the chemo cycle, but I got very tired and anemic towards the end.

Everyone is different and in different financial and emotional situations. If chemo hits you hard, be kind to yourself and rest if you have to. Build a support network as best you can.

Everyone at work knew I had cancer, because I am a pathologist at the local laboratory - no way of hiding cancer from the people that diagnose it! They were all wonderful and still are, now I am back part time.

Aussie Girl
17 June '13: Screen detected impalpable mass, Mammogram neg, US.
25 June '13: Diagnosed after multiple biopsies and MRIs
28 June '13: Left lumpectomey
4 July '13: Left Mastectomy
12 August '13: Commenced TCH chemo
Mid December '13 : TCH finished. Herceptin continuing three weekly.
4 August 2014- Herceptin infusions finished.
END OF THERAPY - YAY!
Aussie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
carlatte7

I am an elementaryschool nurse, and started chemo 4 weeks from the end of school year, so i did not work after chemo. I did shoot a few weddings that summer and wore my wig- who wants a puffy- faced, pale, bald lady doing your wedding photography?? Do what is comfortable for you- my sister made me some stretchy hats out of the ruffly tshirts you see sometimes- liked them over all other options.
May1- first chemo.
May 5- I could no longer feel the mass. Really. Neither could my oncologist.
July 2- 4th TCH- Oncologist cancels last 2 tx due to "complete response"
August6- lumpectomy with axillary node dissection. No disease present in breast. 1 out of 14 nodes + (4mm)
MUGA #2- 72%
Finished 30 rads Oct '12. Mild lymphedema noticed when I had 2 rads left.
Continue Herceptin q3w until next May
April '13- first mammo since surgery- calcium deposits that are " not concerning." Well, they are concerning to ME! Turned loose from surgeon for 6 months! One more Vit H, will make plans then for port removal.
Oct '13- no change in calcium deposits. "See ya in 6 months!" Keeping port for now.
March '14- oncologist says return in 6 mo.
April '14- mammo unchanged. Surgeon will see me in 6 months but no mammo for a year unless something changes. Its getting easier, but oh, boydo i hate that scanxiety! Keeping port until 2 year anniversary of last Herceptin.
Sept'14- bloodwork good, return to onco in 8 months.
Oct'14- surgeon will see me in April '15. Moving on.
May '15- mammo unchanged, keeping same schedule. Tumor markers soon and if all is well port comes out.
July '15-tumor markers normal. See onco in a year. Appt. for port end of month. First grandchild born July 1st- for today, life is good.
carlatte7 is offline   Reply With Quote