HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
Lani

!!!stems cells not only as the cause of Cancer/recurrence but as the cure

1: Cancer Res. 2009 Feb 24. [Epub ahead of print]

Rat Umbilical Cord Stem Cells Completely Abolish Rat Mammary Carcinomas with No Evidence of Metastasis or Recurrence 100 Days Post-Tumor Cell Inoculation.

Ganta C, Chiyo D, Ayuzawa R, Rachakatla R, Pyle M, Andrews G, Weiss M, Tamura M, Troyer D.
Departments of Anatomy and Physiology and Diagnostic Medicine/Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas.
Genetically engineered stem cells efficiently deliver therapeutic proteins to cancer and other sites of inflammation. However, a major advantage would be realized if tumor-trafficking stem cells that have not been genetically modified exhibit an inherent antitumor effect, thus circumventing the necessity of the expression of exogenous genes by the cells. We transplanted Fisher 344 rat-derived mammary adenocarcinoma cells (Mat B III) orthotopically into syngeneic F344 rats with an intact immune system. Rat umbilical cord matrix stem (rUCMS) cells derived from Wharton's jelly were then administered intratumoral (i.t) or i.v. 4 days later. The tumor attenuation effect was significantly evident starting from day 14 in i.v. and i.t. rUCMS cell-transplanted rats compared with sham-transplanted rats. In addition, unmodified rUCMS cell-transplanted rats showed complete regression of tumors to undetectable levels by 34 to 38 days with no evidence of metastasis or recurrence 100 days post-tumor cell inoculation. Dye-loaded rUCMS cells were identified within tumors only 4 days after their i.v. transplantation. In vitro colony assays with rUCMS cells as feeder layers markedly reduced Mat B III colony size and number. Growth attenuation of Mat B III cells exposed to either rUCMS cells directly or to the conditioned medium derived from rUCMS cells was associated with apoptosis indicators, including increased activated caspase-3. In addition, rUCMS cells cocultured with Mat B III cells had a dose-dependent antiproliferative effect on Mat B III cells. These findings suggest that unmodified human UCMS cells could be used for targeted cytotherapy for breast cancer. [Cancer Res 2009;69(5):1815-20].
PMID: 19244122 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote