HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-20-2007, 04:51 AM   #1
Kimberly Lewis

Question "falling down" - a symptom of Brain Mets or..

Hi all,
I have noticed that my ankles have become very stiff when I sit down at night and I attributed it to the Femara. Everyone seems to have some joint pain from the AI's. Well, now I am falling down easily! I have taken 2 nasty spills in about a month. It is totally unpredictable - just like my ankle turns to jelly and can't support me. I don't sprain it - or have any pain other than the fact that I am bruising my knees on the fall. This is confusing to me, I mentioned it to my GP and he just stared at me. No ideas from him... I will start checking the search button here, I am just hoping that someone else has had this happen and felt it was the AI. I had a brain MRI just 5 months ago. Thanks, kim

Diagnosed 7/05
Stage 3a er+(45%) pr+(68%) Her2+ (40%)
3.8 cm + .8cm multi focal - pleomorphic lobular tumors
high grade DCIS
7/20 nodes

BRCA 2
positive as of 5/07
surgeries: double mastectomy, hysterectomy (LAVH)
A/C,Herceptin for 1 year completed 11/06
femara

Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
MJo

THe GP just stared at you? I bet he was thinking, "She's just clumsy." My ankles are very painful and feel like they are going to snap in half. I blame the arimidex, but also I haven't lost much of the weight I gained with treatment and I know that's more weight on my poor ankles. I have not fallen, but it's crossed my mind that I'm more vulnerable to falls with this ankle pain. I'd tell the onc about it. I can call my onc's nurse with questions any time. I hope you can too.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
Sandy H

Do you think it is balance? I had a clean brain MRI but have to be very careful about going up and down stairs. If I am in the middle of stairs and look down I just loose it. My son is building a house and when his stairs were not in we were climbing a ladder to the loft. It was awful for me to go up that ladder. Than, one evening I was in my bedroom and stepped on my slipper lost my balance and fell flat on my stomach. My husband kept asking me if I was o.k. and why I fell so hard. Some times I get up out of the chair and loose my balance and catch myself on the furniture for no reason at all. My husband will ask me joking if I have been drinking as he know I don't drink. It is embarrassing if anyone is around. Its like I just loose control. Don't know if this helps but that is what I am experiencing. I have to be careful when I get up during the night and be sure I am steady on my feet before heading to the bathroom. I have night lights in every light socket to help me. Was out walking in Florida on flat payment and I stepped onto an uneven surface, a slight dip in the payment and fell flat on my face!! People looked at me like " what is wrong with her" Scraped up my hands and elbow. Just another issue I have to live with. hugs. Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
Monica

I have problem with my ankles, although it's not bc treatment related. My ankles have gone somewhat numb. I have found that if I close my eyes, I begin to tip over. I have been told by my neurologist that ankles have tons of nerve endings that keep you balanced. So, I'm wondering if perhaps the treatment has made your ankles less sensitive to ensure your weight is evenly distributed over your feet. Just a thought. Hopefully, it will just disappear.
Best,
Monica

Dx Nov 2003 HER2+++, ER+, PR+
1.7 cm. left breast, Grade 3, Two nodes out of six, stage IIA
Mastectomy right side
Lumpectomy left side
4 A/C, 4 Taxol plus 49 weeks herceptin
Radiation on left side
No tamoxifen or other hormonal drugs
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Kimberly Lewis

Thanks!

Thanks Monica, Sandy, and MJo - you gave me something to think about - I will call my onc and see what kind of reaction I get. I am not feeling really afraid about it, just nervous. I had a brain MRI about 5 months ago. Will work on scheduling a new one soon. I guess I am a dizzy broad now! (though broader than I am dizzy)

Diagnosed 7/05
high grade DCIS
7/20 nodes

BRCA 2
positive as of 5/07
femara

Old 03-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #6
Sherryg683

Yes, I like the way they can just stare at you like you are totally crazy. I have been having a lot of scalp pains, shooting and stabbing all over my head for awhile now. I asked my Oncologist if it could be the shingle pain that I am having all down my right side, could I have pain in my scalp from them..he gave me that look and said .."I guess"...duh. I remember on my first meeting with him, he asked me if I had any symptoms that I felt I should tell him. "I have gas all the time", I told him. Needless to say, I got that "are you crazy stare" from him then. Hell, I didn't know that farting all the time wasn't a symptom of something more serious than just a bad diet..lol..sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:04 AM   #7
Chelee

Kimberly, Don't you love it when you have a REAL concern about something and your onc/GP will tell you to let them know any time something comes up or is bothering you. Then you finally do and you get that blank poker face sort of look from them. Ugh Even if they don't know what it is..they could just say so! But instead they just look at you and continue writing in their little folders without saying a word...as if you said nothing.

I do know those AI's as you mentioned can sure make you stiff. When i was on the Femara I could hardly walk when I first stood up. I had to stand up and hold still and SLOWLY start moving. It was ridiculous. I sure wish I had an answer for you but I don't as you can see. (See...I'm just as good as your GP.) Want to pay me now, or pay me later. I hate having to worry about every little thing we get. That is sometimes the worse part of all this. Even like Sherry mentioned...I have WEIRD scalp pains. I've never heard anyone else bring that up until now. I was wondering what was causing it? Especially at the very top of my scalp and down one side. I was thinking its time for a brain MRI again. Hang in there Kimberly.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:06 AM   #8
Kimberly Lewis

Talking

If laughter is good medicine - you two just gave me a good dose! Thanks Sherry and Chelee - what a great way to wake up..

Diagnosed 7/05
high grade DCIS
7/20 nodes

BRCA 2
positive as of 5/07
femara

Old 03-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #9
Barbara2

Weak ankles

Once in a while, one of my ankles suddenly seems to "give out" and I feel like I could fall, but I just stumble and kind of catch myself. I'm not sure if it is medicine related or not. This seemed to happen occassionally before cancer, too, but now it is more frequently.

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote