HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Alice

Question onco Dx???

I have heard of what is called onco type Dx and I was wondering if anyone can explain it in detail to me? From what I understand it is a kind of rateing for chances of recurrance.
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
Hopeful

Alice,

Here is a link to the website of the lab that developed the test: http://www.genomichealth.com/ Their consumer information is pretty good, and they have an interactive version of the score sheet you can plug numbers into.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
Susan McQ

I read it is for ER+ node negative breast cancer.
33 rads completed 10/06
weekly herceptin thru May 2007 --Stopped herceptin 4/07 due to drop in LVEF. Started Herceptin again 5/07
Final Herceptin 6/12/07
Port Removed -8/13/07
Susan McQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
mjz

oncotypedx is a test done on a bit of your tumor that helps give you an idea of the risk that you will have a recurrance - not locally- butin a distant site- mets- within the next ten years. this test only holds for stage 1 and stage 2 node negative breast cancers who will be treated with tamoxifen for 5 yrs. the scores range from 1 to 17 "low risk" 18-31 "intermediate risk"... my onc ordered this test for me- he felt that it is fair to expect a bit better prognosis if using arimidex- and hope that herceptin- tho given without chemo- would lower my risk another 50% on top of that. in my reading I came across the idea that 18 and over- as a rule of thumb in practice- will be recommended to hav chemo. there is currently a trial- tailorx- to study women with scores of 11 to 22(?) to try to find a meaningful guideline for chemo, but this trial excludes her2 !? my score was 17- i thought most her2 scores were high.... I called genomic health... a doc there told me the previous week a woman with her2 had a score of 5....... did you have the test done?
mjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
mjz

forgot to say- yes only for hormone+---also forgive my typing
mjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:34 PM   #6
Hopeful

Just came across this new article

Here is a link to an interview with Dr. Paik, inventor of the Oncotype test, discussing new tools for predicting bc recurrence: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/554017_print

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:42 AM   #7
Alice

Smile

Thank you all for your replies. I am Er/Pr- so I guess this test would not apply to me. I don't know enough about it though to understand what the difference would be. Maybe it is something that they have measured in relation to er+ and the use of Tomoxifen and that is the only factor that has been measured. I would like to see more studies showing more specifics on recurance in locally advanced er/pr- her2+ if there are any credible ones out there. It may still be too early in the game to have these available. I guess we would all like to have a crystal ball.
Thanks, Alice
Old 04-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
gdpawel

Novel Diagnostics and Therapeutics

The genetic analysis of Oncotype DX predicts which women will have a greater chance of breast cancer recurrence. The test looks at 21 genes that influence the behavior of breast cancer cells. Until this test, it had been difficult to pinpoint which women would benefit most from chemotherapy, and those which wouldn’t.

This new gene expression profiling test enables the oncologist and breast cancer surgeon to more accurately determine who should be treated and who should not be treated with chemotherapy, but they cannot predict chemo response.

This laboratory test is a tool for the oncologist. The oncologist should take advantage of all the tools available to him/her to treat a patient. And since studies show that only 25-30% of patients do respond to chemotherapy that is available to them (and even less for "targeted" drugs), there should be due consideration to looking at the advantage of molecular and cellular assay tests to the resistance that has been found to chemotherapy drugs.

This test can enhance the ability to distinguish between "low" risk and "high" risk patients. Patients in the high-risk group, who would benefit from chemotherapy can then be pre-tested with a "functional" bio-marker (a cell-based assay using an EGFRx™ Anti-Tyrosine Kinase Profile) to see what treatments have the best opportunity of being successful, and offers a better chance of tumor response resulting in progression-free survival, while those in the lower-risk groups can be spared the unnecessary toxicity, particularly associated with ineffective treatment.

New anti-cancer drugs selectively "targets" cells within the body that have a specific molecular defect that is believed to cause dangerous cell behaviors such as uncontrolled proliferative growth and high metastatic potential, behaviors that are associated with aggressive cancer. The defect occurs within the interior of the cell in a region that is called the tyrosine kinase domain and it involves a complicated chemical process called EGFR signaling.

The drugs are called anti-EGFR drugs or tyrosine kinase inhibitors. When the drugs work, they can be highly beneficial, causing tumor shrinkage or promoting stable disease and extending survival. However, targeted therapy drugs like tyrosine kinase inhibitors only work for a small percentage of the patients who receive them. Further, the drugs are expensive and have been associated with toxic side effects. No molecular (gene-based) test has been proven to tell reliably who will benefit from anti-EGFR treatment.

The EGFRx™ Anti-Tyrosine Kinase Profile assay can prospectively report to a physician specifically which chemotherapy agent would benefit a high risk cancer patient by testing that patient's "live" cancer cells. Drug sensitivity profiles differ significantly among cancer patients even when diagnosed with the same cancer. Knowing the drug sensitivity profile of a specific cancer patient allows the treating oncologists to prescribe chemotherapy that will be the most effective against the tumor cells of that patient.

Every breast cancer patient should have her own unique chemotherapy trial based on consultation of pathogenic profiles and drug sensitivity testing data. Research and application of these tests are being encouraged by growing patient demands, scientific advances and medical ethics. These tests are not a luxury but an absolute necessity, and a powerful strategy that cannot be overlooked.

These new genetic and cellular-based tests have enormous implications for the short-term future of cancer research in general, and is one of the truly great cancer breakthroughs of our time.

http://weisenthalcancer.com/Patient%...RXPatients.htm
http://cancerfocus.org/forum/showthread.php?t=734

Last edited by gdpawel; 12-08-2007 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: update
gdpawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
Alice

Smile

Thank you for that responce gdpowel.

I have already gone through the whole barage of treatments so I guess what I try to look at are the things that can possibly help others in their choices or perhaps guide me if this should reccur. It sounds like we have come a long way in treatment protocal but we still have a very long way to go. It is very interesting what you wrote about the interactions and not just one aspect being a big part of the picture and most of us are only given a limmited view of the research and strides out there. I was in 3 studies myself and was asked recently why I chose to do so, my responce was that without the women before me doing studies, My chances would be greatly reduced and so I felt compelled to join the studies, if not for myself, to continue for those that come after me.