HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-22-2006, 08:06 AM   #1
emmasmom

Return of Menstrual Cycle

Good morning. I was wondering if anyone had crazy cycles when their period came back after chemo. I haven't had my period since January. After two weeks of cramping and headaches, I had my period for all of about 4 hours. Things subsided for about 2 days and then I started to get cramping and bloated again and I am so tired. I feel like I am PMSing again. I just had a CT scan and know nothing is wrong in that area so I am assuming it is coming again.I was wondering if anyone has experienced this? Thanks!

Lisa
emmasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:35 AM   #2
cherylynnie

I haven't had a period since January either. I asked my oncologist if I start bleeding what to do. He said that if that happens we will deal with it and check to see what is going on. So I suggest you go have a gynocologist check you out, especially with the pain and cramping.
4 AC, 4 Taxotere finished 3/15/06
Currently on Herceptin and Tamoxifen
cherylynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:45 AM   #3
Monique M

Lisa:

I don't think anyone can predict who will get it back and/or for how long.

I was 39 when I started chemo in October of 2004. I stopped getting my monthly cycle with the first treatment. I ended chemo in January of 2005, still no monthly cycle. In June of 2005 I threw out all of my tampons (I shop at Costco so I used to buy the big boxes). Sure enough it returned the next month for a few hours (kinda funny!). In the fall of 2005 I might have had it again 2 times but never longer than a day. Since then nothing (except for when I had my reconstructive surgery in March of 2006-- the nurse told me surgery can bring it back-- like I did not have enough to deal with at that time! ) I expect I will get it again when my expanders are replaced but other than that, I think I am done.

Unfortunately, all you can expect is the unexpected!

Good luck!
Monique

Birmingham, AL
Monique M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
kristen

Hi Lisa,

Sorry your having to deal with this, I would go and see your gyn also. I was told if your in your 40's it probably won't come back, but after 16 months, mine did. I had it with cysts and it was awful and I opted for a hyst. Your in your 30's? Where you hormone
postitive? I was told that when / if my period came back it would come back. Mine was just spotting and by the time I got to the dr. she didn't even see any. That is when she sent me in for an ultrasound and we found the cysts. If your uncomfortable, I would go and get checked. best to you, k
kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:40 PM   #5
Tami

Mine came back about 8 months after chemo and has been fairly regular - every 4-5 weeks and lasts about 5 days. I am 45 now and was 43 when I did chemo. My oncologist said that the older you are and closer to menopause the less likely it will return.

Best
Tami
Tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:28 AM   #6
Susan

I'm 48 and still having regular periods, they never stopped even during chemo. I'm going to the oncologist today, and I'll get the results of my recent blood work. He was pretty sure I'd go into menopause during chemo, then I've been on faslodex shots once a month for about 8 months now, and still, I've been regular. That was the one thing I was looking forward to, was no more cramps and stuff......guess I was wrong. We'll see what he says today!

Sue
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
athena453

Hi Lisa,

My period stopped after two doses of AC. Returned 4 months after chemo, and has been regular with the exception of one "extra" cycle that began on day 14 of the second month. I am younger than most, so I may be the exception.
R prophylactic mast. 3/3/06
athena453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:48 AM   #8
BubblesMom

Just finished reading this post and thought I'd share my experience with the ever elusive monthly cycle. My post may be a little long but please bear with me. ;>)

I was 41 when diagnosed and had very regular cycles lasting a few days. Within a month of chemo my cycle ceased. Not a big deal...figured I had bigger fish to fry. HOWEVER, the hot flashes were a side effect that I definitely wasn't digging. Once I completed radiation, they became more intense. I wasn't experiencing night sweats, but had the several times a day heat up where I just wanted to pull off my clothes...not exactly appropriate in the workplace. The vaginal dryness was like having my own little piece of the Sahara Desert (much to my husband's chagrin). Spoke to my oncologist and treatment nurse. Got the same story...."chemo can throw you into early menopause". I was also experiencing other things as a result of herceptin (and probably cumulative effects of that and chemo).

REALLY got tired of feeling like my doctors weren't dealing with me as a whole person with a complete body...just focused on their area of specialty. Decided to add some traditional chinese medicine to the mix. I've always believed that our bodies are whole and complete systems in and of themselves and capable of healing themselves if gently coerced into doing so (but I'm not above some good ole Western medicine to jumpstart the process).

The TCM practitioner that I began working with was quite concerned about the fact that I hadn't had a cycle since April 2005. My last (I've only had 2) acupuncture session resulted in two needles being placed in my lower stomach area (along with , complete with burning incense. OOOOkkkaaaaayyy...I remember thinking. A couple of weeks later, as a co-worker and I discussed menopause, I realized that I hadn't had a hot flash in quite awhile. Even more amazing, my status as a member of the Sahara Society seemed to have changed. This, my husband was definitely delighted about! I will continue my monthly visits throughout treatment. If anyone has any questions/comments, please feel free to send me a message.

This board has been such a great source of information and support for me that I wanted to continue the tradition of spreading good news!

Tickled pink, Denise
IDC Node+(2) ER/PR- Her2+++
Stage II / Grade III
4AC / 4Taxol (dose dense)
33Rad (Finished 9/7/05 YEA!!)
1 yr Herceptin (Finished 9/06)
Found lump...same breast (4/09)
BubblesMom is offline   Reply With Quote