HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #1
Patricia

neck nodes?

For those that have had recurrence to supraclavical and neck nodes - how big were they when you found them? I have found 2 very petite pea size nodes and don't know if these are enlarged due to an infection or something or if I should be worried about these. One is right above my collar bone on the opposite side and the other is on the back of my neck, right below the base of my skull on the affected side. I have had swollen glands before and these are not those. I dont ever remember having anything swollen in these locations before from a cold or anything like that, i guess that is why these have me wondering.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a recurrence to neck nodes so that i can know if i should be worrying about these. The one above my collar bone has been there at least since the end of July, but I didnt really worry about it until I just found the one on the back of my neck. I am seeing my onc at the end of Oct. Is this something I should worry about before then? Should I be calling and asking them about these? or should I not even worry about these at all?

Patricia
9/15/05: Total Thyroidectomy
A/C X 4 DD, 11 weekly Taxol + Herceptin, + 9 mos Herceptin Alone, 36x Rads, Lupron, Aromasin
7/29/07: 2 years NED :)
8/6/07 Oopherectomy (Lupron no more! :-)
Aromasin & Estring plus Synthroid and supplements
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:01 AM   #2
Sheila

Patricia
From someone who has been dealing with the neck node issue for almost 5 years now, mine started out the size of a raisin when I felt it above my collar bone on the same side as my mastectomy. Mine occured during reconstruction while I had the tissue expanders in, so 2 Dr's thought it was an immune response. I demande an excisional biopsy, and the path report showed lymph nodes containing Her2+++ Er- Pr- , same as my Breast Cancer. (I was node negative at original diagnosis). I cannot comment on the one to the back of the neck, but I would call your onc. and maybe they can get you in for a CT before the appointment...just make sure they include the neck.
I am hoping it is just inflammation and nothing else is there...neck nodes are a pain in the butt to treat...they just keep coming back for more.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Patricia! I know how you feel. I have a bump on the back of my lower neck and my markers are jumping up and down. I see the doctor on Oct. 8 and will request scans (when I ask for them...only twice...he gets up and walks with me to the scheduling person and asks her to get me in that day or the next....he knows how hard waiting is.). Mine is a bit bigger than pea size, but could be anything, I guess! I'll be thinking of you and believing with you that it is just some "pain in the neck" nothing!!! Please let us know when you know something. mary anne

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:14 AM   #4
CLTann

For all cancer survivors, any palpable node is cause for concern. I would check them out prompto.

Stage 1 dx Sept 05
ER/PR positive HER2 +++ Grade 3
Invasive carcinoma 1 cm, no node involvement
Mastec Sept 05
Annual scans all negative, Oct 06
Postmenopause. Arimidex only since Sept 06, bone or muscle ache after 3 month
Off Arimidex, change to Femara 1/12-07, ache stopped
Sept 07 all tests negative, pass 2 year mark
Feb 08 continue doing well.
Sep 09 four year NED still on Femara.
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:10 AM   #5
lilyecuadorian

I agree with Ann ..I hope is nothing but check anyways for be sure on this diseise we need to be a little hypocondriac ....so we will be fine like all the hipocondriac
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #6
swanky

Hi Patricia - I agree with the other ladies: err on the side of caution and get it checked out. My recurrence in the supraclavicle node was on my cancer side and was initially missed by my onc. Then after his exam I said I could feel something in there if I turned my neck a certain way...so he went back and found the tiny lump, ordered PET/CT scan right away. Then during a 4 week time frame (waiting for genetic tests results for tx purposes) it grew to where it was a VISIBLE lump above my collar bone.

Maybe the fact that your's isn't growing is good? Scan it for sure. Don't know about the back of neck tho...

PM me if you have any other questions! Good luck,

Leea
-Bi lat 1/18/07, multiple foci of IDC admixed with DCIS, IDC varied from 0.1, 0.5, and up to 1.6 cm, 1/19 + nodes
Expanders in place
Pregnant when dx
Mom to 4 beautiful kiddos (boys: 5 and 14 mos, girls: 17 and 3)

Recurrence in neck lymph node and 8mm spot in L breast above expander, herceptin stopped
BRCA 1 positive
Clinical trial since 7/23/07 (PARP INHIBITOR)-NED for 9 months, supraclavicle node popped back up,..so we cut it out! Full neck dissection - only 1 positive node ER/PR negative and now HER2 negative
Currently on Xeloda and NED
swanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:41 PM   #7
Patricia

Thank you everyone for your replies. I love that I can get advice/feedback from all of you so quickly. Luckily, the little 'node' on the back of my neck turned out to be a bite or pimple and has come onto the surface more now that time has passed. It really got me nervous to have the little one above my clavical that has been there and then to find the new one on the back of my neck. I am feeling much better now that I know I am back to the one that has not been changing size. I am off to my onc in 2 weeks so I am going to hold on until then and talk to him about it. Thanks again for all the concern and advice. As always, you gals are the best.

Hugs,
Patricia
9/15/05: Total Thyroidectomy
A/C X 4 DD, 11 weekly Taxol + Herceptin, + 9 mos Herceptin Alone, 36x Rads, Lupron, Aromasin
7/29/07: 2 years NED :)
8/6/07 Oopherectomy (Lupron no more! :-)
Aromasin & Estring plus Synthroid and supplements
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
Unregistered

Unhappy something on the back of my neck

Hi everyone,

My name is Sandi. I live in upstate NY. As of last week I am a 3 year breast cancer survivor. In March of 2005 I was diagnosed with lobular carsinoma in situ, with resulted in a bilateral mastectomy and tram flap reconstruction. Ironically enough the only reason I was diagnosed was because I had a breast reduction and found out when I went to get my stitches out 10 days later.

Anyway, about a week ago I was putting my hair up when as I brushed my hand along the back of my head to smooth my hair I felt "something" You see the type of cancer I had I not a hard mass that could be felt so I didn't know what I was feeling. I decided to wait a few days before calling my oncologist. Well I went to see him yesterday, he didn't want to do anything just yet he wants me to come back in 3 weeks provided it is still there.
Needless to say I'm pretty nervous about the whole waiting thing.

If there is anyone who has a "something" on the back of their neck could you please write me and let me know things like where it was in relation to your hair line and what it felt like, if it hurt or not. I'd really appreciate it, I'm really trying to freak out!!!

Thanks
Sandi