HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
chicagoetc

BC, Treatment, and Working?

[Did you know there are more than 80,000 posts to the her2group discussion board??? I am in awe.]

I'm writing this because I decided early on (in July/August) that I would continue to work fulltime (using sick days and a slightly flexible schedule). Just this past Friday (a week ago from yesterday) I finished my last dose (every three weeks) of AC. I had this past week off from work. And I was glad (have been nauseous/queasy/out-of-sorts all week), enough so that I am not sure what would have happened had I been working every day.

I know where I am being treated that other women choose to work (which is why we go in on Fridays for chemo). But I don't know any personally. Those I know from elsewhere who have had BC have either not worked or worked a greatly reduced schedule.

Every week is different, with some new side effect or related problem (some of them too embarrassing to mention). Almost every week (if not more frequently) I call a nurse or my doctor for some issue or another.

For the first time this week I have wondered about my ability to continue working as I am. I keep reading about reoccurring/metasticizing cancer (some of you are heroes of mine already) and realize there are no guarantees. But also my chemo schedule steps up starting December 7...moving from every three weeks to chemo every week with Taxol and Herceptin...and a muga scan scheduled December 6 etc. Once I'm done with the Taxol (I presumably continue the Herceptin) there's radiation, more reconstructive surgery and God only knows what else.

My question here is: Do any of you have thoughts, suggestions re working? [Ok, I'm working but that's about it...I go home, put on my pajamas, have a bite to eat with my husband, watch an episode on TV and then go to bed.] What makes or does not make work doable? How does one know when too much is too much or when fighting to stay at a job is worth it?

Melanie

PS: I haven't posted here a lot but I use these forums/posts/threads daily to learn more or just to hear how you respond to each other. Some of you have obviously been here a long time and know each other well. Some of you have been through more than I can imagine. It is inspiring to say the least.
Portacath: 9/7/07
Chemo: 9/14/07 with AC (every three weeks) for four rounds
Physical Therapy for ROM Loss / "Cording" (but not Lymphodema)
Taxol + Herceptin weekly (started 12/2007 with 8 of 12 Taxol)
Radiation: (28 rads from 3/07 to 4/07)
Reconstruction (silicone implant)
Herceptin done (10/08)
Cognitive Remediation (11/08 - 12/08)
Lymphedema Diagnosed 5/10/10 (almost 3 years post cancer diagnosis)
Lymphedema Rehab 9/10/10 - 11/10/10
Six years NED...7/7/2013!
chicagoetc is offline   Reply With Quote