HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Kim in CA

Question Abraxane VS Taxotere ?

Hi Ladies,

I'm scheduled to start Taxotere this coming Weds. along with my Herceptin. It seems that the Herceptin alone, is not going to be enough to bring my Tumor Markers back down. I've been back on Herceptin since August 6th, and my Her2 Serum and CA 15-3 went down slightly initially, but both have started to climb back up.

My doctor and I discussed possible options, and decided to give Taxotere a try again, since it worked so well for me back in 2001/2002.

Naturally I've been reading alot the last few days, and am now second guessing the whole Taxotere regime. I've read that Abraxane has better response rates with fewer side effects, so am naturally curious as to why my doctor didn't mention it.

Any input or personal experience would be appreciated, so I can arm myself when I talk to him about it this week.

Thanks!
Kim

PS: I didn't even ask him about Tykerb or Pertuzamab because I'm thinking that saving those for later might be in my best interest. I really don't have a clue what the right or best thing is, just wanting to nip this thing in the bud!

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
yanyan

Re: Abraxane VS Taxotere ?

Hi Kim! My Onco suggested abraxane initially after my recurrence to skin. He then decided to try xeloda and tykerb. Since my 1st line of treatment is taxotere, the 2nd line treatment can be a different drug in the same family. My tumor marker has been rising too but still within normal range ca27-29 since April but since I got 2 clean scans my doctor didn't seem worried - I am in chemo now anyways! Did your doc order a scan for you? Xeloda and tykerb are easy chemos and i really think there is not much priority in which drug to save for future use. The important thing is to use a drug that you respond to. Abraxane seems like a big chemo gun to me- I guess it is because of the hairless. A friend of mine who has ovarian cancer is back on chemo again since her tumor markers have been rising. I don't understand why drs put pp back on chemo without a scan as tumor markers seem
To be the most unreliable. I hope which ever drug ur dr orders will work well for you! Take care
BMX with immediate recontruction 5/2011 Lattismus Flap- Dx stage 3c 10/23 nodes
9/11 Radiation
3/12 Local recurrence to skin stage IV
Whole body scan CLEAR
4/12 Tykerb & Xeolda Skin mets slowly regressing
8/12 PET & Brain CT Clear
5/13 Skin mets progressing
6/13 PET scan chestwall recurrence in contralateral anxillary,internal mammary and ipsilateral subpectoral nodes
6/13 kadcyla
10/13 whole body scan -clear NED. previously resolved skin rash gone but 3 new lesions. Biopsy confirmed for skin recurrence
11/13 to 02/14 tykerb & herceptin
02/14 add abraxane/gemzar, 2 weeks on 1 week off at reduced dose
05/14 whole body PET clear/ brain CT clear but skin mets are getting worse, ready for new chemo
05/14 navelbine perjeta herceptin
07/14 skin mets progressing red rash worse
08/14 wide local excision with diep flap to close wound. Final path shows 2 positive margins showing inflammatory carcinoma Going back to surgery in 2 weeks
09/01/14 resection- clear margins
3 weeks after 2nd surgery, a new nodular rash found near drain incision with 2 small red spots behind the chest wall biopsy on 10/1. Positive for breast cancer
Radiation 11/2014 with xeloda then weekly cisplatin
11/14 brain MRI clean
12/14 finished 33 radiations burnt and very painful. Bedridden for 1 week
12/14 t current Herceptin and perjeta only
02/15 rash on upper back right side skin mets radiation planned
02/15 staring electron radiation *35
Stopped at 30 due to severe skin burn, resumed 10 days later
05/15 red patches appeared in between previously radiated area, skin mets. Ct and brain Mri clear. Simulation planned, radiation to start after trip to Alaska.
05/24 new spot identified in scar line on previously radiated reconstructed breast- electron on both side chest wall area and scar line
07/15 multiple skin and lung recurrence begin halaven
11/15 cough much better but very tired on halaven and starting to see some new red skin blotches-suspicious
11/15 heading to China for immune therapy
yanyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
DeenaH

Taxotere was very difficult for me. I am on abraxane now, and it is the easiest chemo I have done so far. I did lose my hair again, but aside from that I just have a headache and slight nausea. Side effects are easily managed with meds. Fatigue is the worst part, but other chemos are worse. I have done A/C, taxotere, navelbine and xeloda. Good luck!
August 20, 2010: PET/CT showed no cancer in any nodes, and only a little uptake to the breast.
September 9, 2010: Bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with implants and Alloderm.
September 16, 2010: Pathology report showed 18/51 positive axillary nodes, 3.2cm tumor. Granual sized cancer found in the fatty tissue between levels 1 and 2.
October 19, 2010: CT showed several spots on lungs and 1 spot on liver. Liver spot is 2mm, lung spots range from 2mm to 4mm. We don't know if they are cancer or not.
12/15/10: Brain MRI clear
1/7/11: PET/CT
1/13/11: Recurrence in lungs. Start Tykerb
5/13/11: Progression in lungs
6/3/11: Lung surgery to get tumors for chemosensitivity testing.
DeenaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
Becky

Abraxane is the same chemical as Taxol but with Abraxane, they have binded sugar molecules to the drug active backbone which renders it water soluble. Taxol is not so there is an emulsifier added. It is the emulsifier that causes all the problems. Taxotere also needs an emulsifier. This is why Abraxane is easier.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Kim in CA

Thanks so much for the input ladies. I will be having a PET scan tomorrow, and seeing the doc on Weds. when I get my treatment. We will also do all my labs. My last CA15-3 done 3 weeks ago, was 88 (higher than in 2001 when I had mets to my liver) and my Her2 Serum was 22.

My tumor markers have always been pretty reliable for me. That, coupled with the pressure I've been feeling in my abdomen, was why I went back on Herceptin in August, after almost exactly a one year break.

Taxotere given weekly wasn't too hard for me to tolerate back in 2001/2002, but I was also 10 years younger! It was after being on it for almost 8 months that I really started having problems.

Xeloda, unfortunately isn't an option for me, as it almost did me in, back in 2003.

The Abraxane sounds like something I need to talk with my Doc about, if it works as good or better than Taxotere with out as many side effects. I didn't loose my hair on Taxotere last time, just thinned quite a bit, but permanently messed up my lashes, brows, and fingernails. My hair came back to normal though.

DeenaH and Yanyan, was your Abraxane given weekly or every 3 weeks? I wondering if that can possibly determine if you loose your hair or not.

Let's face it, loosing one's hair is a biggie.

Thanks again for your replies.

Kim

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Lauriesh

Hi Kim,
I have been Ned almost two years on tykerb/ herceptin. It is a much easier combo then doing chemo. I guess I don't worry about saving tykerb for later because if the cancer comes back, then I will add in xeloda or go back on taxotere. I am also hoping it will keep me Ned until tdm1 is approved or who knows what other drugs that may be in the works.

Laurie
12 taxol/Herceptin
Year of Herceptin
liver mets- July-2010
7 taxotere/Herceptin
RFA- Feb.2011
NED
U of Wa vaccine trial-oct 2011-Feb 2012
Herceptin/tykerb
Ned - 2 1/2 years
Herceptin & perjeta
Ned 3 years
Herceptin- reducing treatments , due to s/e, to 5-6 a year
NED- 3 1/2 years
Ned - 4 years
2/15- stopped herceptin - on no treatment
Lauriesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
yanyan

Hi Kim ! I am not on Abraxane. You are right losing hair is no big deal There are quite a few pp here on maintanence herception with tykerb and this combo seems tolerable. I would try the easy ones first. Reishi mushroom is good for your liver - our livers work so hard to expel the toxins from our body but check with your doctor if you can take it on certain drug. ((()))
9/11 Radiation
Whole body scan CLEAR
6/13 PET scan chestwall recurrence in contralateral anxillary,internal mammary and ipsilateral subpectoral nodes
6/13 kadcyla
10/13 whole body scan -clear NED. previously resolved skin rash gone but 3 new lesions. Biopsy confirmed for skin recurrence
05/14 whole body PET clear/ brain CT clear but skin mets are getting worse, ready for new chemo
08/14 wide local excision with diep flap to close wound. Final path shows 2 positive margins showing inflammatory carcinoma Going back to surgery in 2 weeks
3 weeks after 2nd surgery, a new nodular rash found near drain incision with 2 small red spots behind the chest wall biopsy on 10/1. Positive for breast cancer
11/14 brain MRI clean
05/15 red patches appeared in between previously radiated area, skin mets. Ct and brain Mri clear. Simulation planned, radiation to start after trip to Alaska.
05/24 new spot identified in scar line on previously radiated reconstructed breast- electron on both side chest wall area and scar line
11/15 cough much better but very tired on halaven and starting to see some new red skin blotches-suspicious
Old 11-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
jacqueline1102

Hi Kim,

I have some thoughts about your request. Ask your oncologist about Perjeta. This was a new drug approved by the FDA on June 8, 2012. It is prescribed in what is termed "first line protocol" but in some cases I have learned that the oncologist can prescribe it off-line. I am currently taking Herceptin and Perjeta together and it is quite tolerable. I am able to work fulltime, exercise, and have a decent amount of energy. The pamphlet with Perjeta may also recommend Perjeta, Herceptin, and Taxotere. The nurses are not familiar with Perjeta yet so they may staunchly say the "pamphlet says you have to take Perjeta with Taxotere." NOT true. My oncologist prescribed the Perjeta without the gnarly Taxotere. But the oncologist can factor out the Taxotere if he/she thinks that is advisable. If you can get by with it, just take the Herceptin and Perjeta to tackle those liver mets.

I have done quite a bit of research and it does seem that Abraxane is easier to tolerate with less side effects. So, if you absolutely have to do some kind of ax, then Abraxane is easier to tolerate but I have not had any personal experience with that. Good luck with all this.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me anytime.

Jackie
5/12-7/12 33 Radiation treatments
8/1/12 Started Perjeta along with the Herceptin
10/12 Scans said NED for first time
5/15 UWSeattle Vaccine Trial 3 months
12/16 Scans still show NED. Herceptin and Perjeta continue indef.
8/17 Taken off Perjeta;staying on Herceptin. Still NEAD.
3/18 Still NEAD
8/19 Now on Subcutaneous Herceptin
10/21 Remain on Subcutaneous Herceptin (Hylecta)
11/21 CT showed possible lung mets. Was told to wait and see until scan
1/22 CT shows continued growth
03/22 Lung Biopsy said sample was too small but nodules keep growing and IR is convinced that it is indeed cancer
04/22 Oncologist referred for consult for a transbronchial biopsy. This does not sound pleasant
jacqueline1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
jacqueline1102

Kim,

One more thing, I, too, thought that holding out for Perjeta would be the best thing. I even used the "big gun" phrase. The FDA will not approve Perjeta if you have any other chemo and it fails. That is why Perjeta is prescribed as a "first line" offense drug. In other words, if you do Abraxane, or any other drug for that matter, and there is progression, then the FDA will not approve Perjeta. In other words, the FDA will not allow patients to use Perjeta as a big gun drug. At least as it stands currently. Hope this makes sense.

Take care,

Jackie
3/18 Still NEAD
03/22 Lung Biopsy said sample was too small but nodules keep growing and IR is convinced that it is indeed cancer
04/22 Oncologist referred for consult for a transbronchial biopsy. This does not sound pleasant
Old 11-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
yanyan

Hi Jackie ! If perjeta is approved for 1st line Stage IV treatment, does it include people who progressed to stage IV? If your doctor prescribes perjeta off label, do you have to pay it at your own expense? I heard it is a very expensive drug.
9/11 Radiation
Whole body scan CLEAR
6/13 kadcyla
11/14 brain MRI clean
Old 11-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
jacqueline1102

Hi Yanyan

My understanding is that Perjeta is specifically for stage IV women. This includes women who have progressed to stage IV. My doctor has not prescribe off label for me since my treatment was considered first line as I only had the TCH for the 6 sessions, was on Herceptin only and now on the Herceptin and Perjeta. It is a very expensive drug. I am the second person at my treatment center to use Perjeta. I do have an oncologist who fights for his patients so I am not sure if he was tried to prescribe off label for this drug with other patients. I do work in health care so I have learned that docs will prescribe off label. It's tricky. Hope that makes sense.
3/18 Still NEAD
Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
jacqueline1102

Also, if my insurance would not cover the cost, it would be impossible for me to pay for the perjeta. Other women have posted about Perjeta so you can check out previous posts.
3/18 Still NEAD
Old 11-06-2012, 06:02 AM   #13
Lori R

Dear Kim,
I was on taxotere as my initial course of treatment. For that treatment I received taxotere once every 3 weeks. I found in manageable until about round 5 when my fingernails became a mess. I also lost every piece of hair. My hair didn't fully recover.

Since then,, I've been on Abraxane multiple times. It is much more manageable and my horrible straggly hair thinned but didn't fully go away. I received Abraxane 3 weeks on, 1 week off. It did cause my nails to have slight issues.

I think it is worth having the discussion. Taxotere kept me NED longer, but that was my first line of treatment.

These decisions are tough!!! If Taxotere worked once, it might just be the ticket again.

Hoping for a sign that gives you confidence in your decision.
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
Emy

Hi Kim
I am on tykerb for liver mets...the tykerb, herceptin, faslodex brought my tumor markers down, and my pet scan was better...this was started in may...now tumor markers going up slightly, 31 to 43, and I have pet scan in 2 weeks....so perhaps, you might ask about tykerb...
Eileen
July 2015 stopped weekly taxol (2.5 years of weekly taxol) still on herceptin perjeta every 3 weeks..still ned
Jun 2014 liver ablation of 1 liver tumor..now ned
Jun 28, 2013 ca15-3 24, cea 3.8... Pet scan showed 2 liver tumors with intensity of 2.7 and 2.5 (11/13 intensity was 8.0)
Jan 2013 herceptin, perjeta every 3weeks, taxol weekly
Jan 2013 MRI showed 3 liver tumors doubled in size ca-15 is 55 end of month 71, cea 7
Dec 2012. Pet scan showed single liver nodule, having MRI liver on dec18th...MRI liver 3tumors... on herceptin, tykerb , fulvestrant ca-15-3 is 42
Sept 2012 ca-15 went from 85 to 35, pet scan showed decrease
May 2012 herceptin every 3 weeks, 1500 tykerb daily (6pills) and fulvestrant every 3 wks
May 2012 herceptin stopped working ca-15 is 85
Sept 2011 started herceptin every 3 wks and femara daily..mets to liver. Bone and lymph nodes
2011 liver mets...all samples from 2001 and 2010 reviewed...her2 positive, fish 5.4. Er positive, prog neg. Stage 4 breast ca...never was lung cancer
2010 16 weeks of chemotherapy for lung cancer (incorrect). Carboplatin and vinalbine...was actually breast ca mets
2010 misdiagnosed with lung cancer ..2cm tumor removed..lower right lobe removed
2001-2006 tamoxifen
2001. Ductal ca. Rt mastectomy
Emy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
Kim in CA

Wow Eileen,

Your history is quite a "story" with the misdiagnosis and all.

The taxotere given every week for 3 weeks, with 1 week off, isn't too hard to tolerate (at least it wasn't back in 2001/2002). It wasn't until I'd been on it for over 6 months that the side effects started wearing on me. It did work really well for me, and my doc feels that it will work better than the abraxane. He is also open to switching to the Abraxane, if I should develope side effects that become problematic.

I am due for an MRI of my brain this month too, so if we should see anything suspicious there, I would definitely want to incorporate the Tykerb. Just been kind of holding off on that one, cause I keep thinking/hoping the taxotere is going to be all I need. Taxotere is an agressive drug, but I like being agressive with this cancer, especially since my tumor burden seems pretty light at this point.

What I am hoping for is that TDM-1 will soon be approved, and that Perjeta will be easier for stage IV to get as a second line treatment.

The level of care at my treatment center has really fallen off since I first started going there in 1997, and it has become really difficult to get things authorized and even just get an appt. with my doc. So, in a way I'm taking the less stressful route by going with the Taxotere. I really didn't feel up to having to jump through any more hoops to get back on to some sort of treatment. I just wanted to do something quick, and then see where things go from there.

To complicate things further, our COBRA continuation coverage will be expiring in Feb. If we want to keep our current Blue Shield coverage, their HIPAA plan would run us almost $3000 a month. That is something we just can't afford, so will probably be switching to a Kaiser HIPAA plan. I have heard lots of good things about Kaiser in our area, so am hoping my level of care may actually improve. I know that many of my favorite, very experienced, oncology nurses have left my current facility, and have gone to Kaiser.

So, the saga continues!
Kim

8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

Old 11-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
mamacze

Awww Kim I am so sad that you have to get back in the saddle and start chemo again. I am sorry I don't know a thing about Taxotere vs Abraxane; but I do know how well you have done so far and I just have a good feeling that you will do well on this next line of treatment. Please keep us posted on your outcome and how you do. BTW I have also heard good things about KP - I hope your care improves with them!
Keep your chin up.
Love and hugs
Kim (from CT)

2004 - Stage 4, mets to 4 lobes of lungs and liver, lumpectomy, er/pr -, her2 neu+++, Herceptin and Navelbine then Herceptin only.

2005 - Breast Ca vaccinations with the Tumor Vaccine Group in Seattle

2011 - Still Herceptin only and NED

2011, June - STOPPED Herceptin and kicked up my heels!

2012, February - 1 small tumor came back to haunt me in my lungs - back on Herceptin only, tumor stable.

2015, November - tumor on lungs removed (Segmentectomy), back on Herceptin only
Received U of W vaccine clinical "booster" Vaccine

2022 On Herceptin and NED continues - WOOT WOOT!
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote