HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
yanyan

Stage v- a hard to swallow fact

After months waiting I finally got to see the breast surgeon hoping to have my local skin recurrence removed- was told that I am clinically stage v because cancer has metestasized to skin even though it is local.

It came as a shock and I have to admit its very disheartening. Living with the same symptoms and diseases seem thinking I am stage 3 feels so much better than being told I am stage v. Would I rather not know it? Or by knowing it I will be even more determined to take better care of this freaking cancer.

Many things came up to my mind when I left the surgeons office. But mostly came to mind was I am dying and I need to make arrangements ASAP. Then I realized nothing has really changed except that I was just given a clinical dx. I have to say that the surgeon and nurse are great people.

I wish I had the same surgeon in the beginning but I couldn't afford it while I had HMO with access to only preferred provider. I felt I should not have rushed for reconstruction I should have had a non skin sparing mastectomy. But again I might have had a distant mets had I not been on the medication for recurrence. There are just too many ifs- water under the bridge.

I don't want to share the news with anyone but you my her2 sisters. Only YOU can understand my fear and anger and sorrow. How did you get beyond the stage v dx and move on with a full life- working full time and raising young kids. My 6 year old asked yesterday if I am feeling better. She knows I have an booboo and I hate to let know the big C word.

I can't tell my mom and bf either. It doesnt make much difference but to depress them. I am just thankful that you guys are here . So I am moving on with electro radiation for possible residue tumor cells as my surgeon does not think surgery will benefit me. I still don't understand why it can't be treated the same way as IBC since they are basically the same- diseases in lymphatic system.

Love to you all!
BMX with immediate recontruction 5/2011 Lattismus Flap- Dx stage 3c 10/23 nodes
9/11 Radiation
3/12 Local recurrence to skin stage IV
Whole body scan CLEAR
4/12 Tykerb & Xeolda Skin mets slowly regressing
8/12 PET & Brain CT Clear
5/13 Skin mets progressing
6/13 PET scan chestwall recurrence in contralateral anxillary,internal mammary and ipsilateral subpectoral nodes
6/13 kadcyla
10/13 whole body scan -clear NED. previously resolved skin rash gone but 3 new lesions. Biopsy confirmed for skin recurrence
11/13 to 02/14 tykerb & herceptin
02/14 add abraxane/gemzar, 2 weeks on 1 week off at reduced dose
05/14 whole body PET clear/ brain CT clear but skin mets are getting worse, ready for new chemo
05/14 navelbine perjeta herceptin
07/14 skin mets progressing red rash worse
08/14 wide local excision with diep flap to close wound. Final path shows 2 positive margins showing inflammatory carcinoma Going back to surgery in 2 weeks
09/01/14 resection- clear margins
3 weeks after 2nd surgery, a new nodular rash found near drain incision with 2 small red spots behind the chest wall biopsy on 10/1. Positive for breast cancer
Radiation 11/2014 with xeloda then weekly cisplatin
11/14 brain MRI clean
12/14 finished 33 radiations burnt and very painful. Bedridden for 1 week
12/14 t current Herceptin and perjeta only
02/15 rash on upper back right side skin mets radiation planned
02/15 staring electron radiation *35
Stopped at 30 due to severe skin burn, resumed 10 days later
05/15 red patches appeared in between previously radiated area, skin mets. Ct and brain Mri clear. Simulation planned, radiation to start after trip to Alaska.
05/24 new spot identified in scar line on previously radiated reconstructed breast- electron on both side chest wall area and scar line
07/15 multiple skin and lung recurrence begin halaven
11/15 cough much better but very tired on halaven and starting to see some new red skin blotches-suspicious
11/15 heading to China for immune therapy
yanyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
StephN

Re: Stage v- a hard to swallow fact

Dear Yanyan -

I have not heard of stage V (five), so I think you must mean stage IV - or four.

Like you said, it was a rude sort of wake up call to realize that skin mets ARE mets. There are some here who are doing very well against their skin mets.

Try starting a new topic/thread on this particular subject and hopefully a discussion will take place from others with this same problem.

It IS so hard to keep this cancer news to ourselves, as it can be rather paralyzing. To change perspective should put you in fighting mode to eradicate that "booboo." (I had to tell my little niece the same thing as she wanted to hug me and I had bandages on my surgery site.)

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Jen

Yanyan,
I have never been diagnosed with cancer I just lost my Mom Sheila on Dec 10, 2012. Sheila lived for almost 10 years being diagnosed at stage IV. Hopefully someday we will find a cure. NOBODY not you or I or anyone else is guarenteed tomorrow. So my advice to you would be the same as to anyone else live your life do the things you want to do and say the things you need to say to those whom you love and love you.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
BonnieR

Yanyan, "dont look back, we're not going that way"
You got some wise words from Jen. I remember when I was diagnosed I thought "well now I know what I am going to die from"..But I am fortunate to be NED at the moment. And also realize that I could die of any number of things at any time. Sort of depressing but liberating at the same time. We all only have today. So live in it, embrace it, enjoy it.
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
tricia keegan

Yanyan I'm so sorry this was such a shock for you as it would be for any of us if unprepared, I had Bowens disease on my leg which was treated sucessfully and caught early enough that it didn't go on to full blown cancer but would have if left untreated.
This was a shock for me so can only imagine how you felt, but in saying that over the seven years I've posted here I've seen so many stage iv friends not only survive but go on to become NED and lead full lives so I hope this reassure's you and the shock will wear off. As you say, all thats changed really is you've received a clinical dx, you are more than a number or stage and we all react differently so go with it today and be kind to yourself but know tomorrow will be better. x
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
KsGal

Im so sorry that was presented to you like that. You are still the same person in the same condition with the same reasons for optimism that you were before the surgeon chose to put those words out there. So try not to hear those words in the back of your mind. I have been stage IV basically from diagnosis, and outside of the time I did the actual chemotherapy for my liver, my life has been normal. My family life with my children and everything seemed to kind of gravitate back to baseline. Now we are just living with a chronic condition, and have to do all we can to take care of ourselves. Lots of hugs and prayers and positive energy your way...I know you don't want to stress or depress your family by sharing with them, but remember that you can't always be the strong one carrying everyone else. They love you and want to be there for you too.
December 2012 was diagnosed with five brain mets, and had whole brain radiation.
Around July 2014 two mets in brain, one a residual spot and one new one growing in size. Received Cyberknife on both areas
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
KsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Bunty

Yanyan, so sorry to read your post. You are right by coming to this forum, as there are so many of us here who do understand the fear and uncertainty you are feeling right now at the beginning of this new chapter. But do take hope from the realisation that you can still have a relatively normal life while Stage IV. I know it may sound strange, but one good thing is that your medical team will be far more vigilent now, and if anything does change, you'll be dealing with it much quicker.

I've been living well (thank God) with Stage IV for over 5 years now.

Best wishes
Marie
June 2011 3cm x 4cm liver tumour. Started Abraxane and continue with Herceptin.
November 2011. Finished with Abraxane, continue with just Herceptin. Liver tumour now reduced to 15mm x 12mm. Lung tumour now 10mm x 0.5mm
February 2012. Scans show everything stable, and brain scan clear.
July 2012. PET/CT scans show I'm in remission - no active cancer!
]Dec CT brain cllear, lungs stable, liver tumour has increased to 20mm. PET scans showed active liver met and active lung thinglet, and possible bone met.
Jan 2013 recommence Abraxane, continue with Herceptin.
June 2013 finish Cycle 6 Abraxane, continue with Herceptin. 30% reduction in liver tumour, everything stable.
December 2013. CA15-3 on rise.
February 2014. PET and CT scans show single liver tumour has increased to 35mm. No other activity.
March 2014. Planned for SBRT for liver met, but couldn't have treatment as tumour too close to bowel. Continue Herceptin.
April 2014. Surgeon advises that I am a good candidate for liver resection, so will have operation early May (after camping holiday). Tumour now 44mm x 29mm.
May 7, 2014. Two liver tumours surgically removed. Third of liver removed, and gall bladder. Am I NED?May 2014. Pathology of tumour shows it's now ER+ (95% staining).
June 2014. CA15-3 has decreased to 18 from a pre-surgery reading of 59!
June 2014. Started Femara, continue with Herceptin.
July 2014. Stop Femara due to severe Osteoporosis. Commence Tamoxifen, continue Herceptin. Waiting to hear if I can have Aclasta infusion.
August 2014. CA15-3 has decreased further to 12 - YAY!
October 2014. Aclasta infusion for Osteoporosis. November 2014, CA15-3 decreased to 11. Scans of liver all clear, something new showing up on lung, but just watching at the moment.
November 2015. Started SBRT on solitary lung met.
November 2015. Bone density scan showed very good improvement so back on Femara - yay!
December 2016. 6 treatments of SBRT radiation on lung. Seems to have had some effect.
June 2016. CA15-3 still stable and low at 9.
June 2016. Started subcutaneous Herceptin replacing infusion.
Jan 2017. LVEF dropped to 46%. Stopped Herceptin.
Feb 2017. Started ACE Inhibitor and BETA Blocker. Still off Herceptin.
Aug 2017. Two new mets - Portacaval lymph node and mediastinal lymph node.
Aug 2017. Blood tests show extremely elevated liver enzyme levels. Many tests to investigate.
Sept 2017. Portacaval lymph node blocking liver bile duct causing liver enzyme and Bilirubin problems.
Oct 2017. 8cm stent inserted into liver bile duct. Procedure caused pancreatitis, and hospitalised for 3 days. Liver enzymes improving rapidly.
Nov 2017. Commenced 4 weeks of radiation on Portacaval lymph node. 5 week break before chemo.
Jan 2018. CT scan. 11 new small liver mets, and new superclavical lymph node med.
Jan 2018. Start Kadcyla. CA15-3 426.
Apr 2018. First scans since starting Kadcyla. All tumours reducing. CA15-3 dropped to 30 from 426.
Dec 2019. Still on Kadcyla, but two small brain mets have been treated in the past month with SRS. CA15-3 stable for 12 months at 11.
Bunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
Jen

Sheila Rawlins
Age 57
Diagnosis 2002
Recurrence 2003
Just when she thought
she was moving on—the
day of her last fill-up for
a tissue expander on her
left side—nurse Sheila
Rawlins felt a lump in her
neck. “I must be having
a reaction to the tissue
expander,” she thought.
“I’ll show the doctor
when I get there. I
wasn’t worried, I felt
great, and was about to
get the ‘new old me’
back.”
For her, the news
that the cancer had
metastasized to her lymph nodes was just as upsetting as
the first diagnosis had been, a year earlier. “How can this
be happening to me…again? Am I going to die?” she
wondered. It was October—Breast Cancer Awareness
month. “Everything was a sea of pink, and I was
drowning in it,” she remembers. Oftentimes, patients
in their second diagnosis can feel left out of all the
“surviving and thriving” excitement of October activities.
Her doctors started her on Herceptin immediately,
which was still fairly new in 2003. Sheila was grateful
because, unlike chemo, Herceptin doesn’t cause nausea
or hair loss—she hated the thought of losing her kneelength
hair. She says, “Actually other than the time it
takes to be administered and a runny nose and eyes, it’s
a walk in the park… but my life was so different, starting
then. I would need constant treatments and medication
the rest of my life. Before, life revolved around fun and
work and children and grandchildren, and now the focus
is survival.”
But survive she has, with the decision to focus on
what she has gained, not what she has lost. “I have
gained many friends, women who are fighting this every
day. I have gained knowledge and power over this
disease…I have gained a new appreciation for things that
I would have never known, I have gained strength to be
positive on this journey, and to help others who may be
on this road.” Finally, another spread to her supraclavicular
nodes required chemotherapy in 2006: Xeloda, and when
that didn’t work, Taxol and Avastin. “I have been blessed
with the most amazing chemo nurse—anyone who can
make you smile through chemo is an angel. And I have
gotten used to not having much hair.”
Each year for the last three, Sheila has traveled to
San Antonio, Texas, for the Breast Cancer Symposium—
a gathering of top oncologists from all over the world. Her
own medical background fuels this desire for information.
“I gain knowledge there about the trials and new treatments,
and I am then able to use this knowledge in my own
care, and help others in my support groups to empower
themselves all they can.”
“As with any disease, I still worry about every ache
and pain, the ifs and whys. But in the end, the most
important thing I have gained is acceptance. Recent CTs
showed some tumor shrinkage in the chest nodes. This is
great! I am getting hair! And eyebrows! This is the new
me, and I am a survivor!”
------------------------------------------------------------------
That is how Sheila felt "in her own words" after getting the Dx of stage 4. She had a reoccurance 1 year after her initial diagnosis of her2+ breast cancer. Mom saw her cancer Dx as a blessing in disguise that helped her to see life through a new set of eyes. I hope (My Mom)Sheila's words help you on your journey which is NOT over. I sincerely hope I have helped (in some way) by sharing Sheila's message. Although I have not been Dx with cancer myself I feel the need to contribute to this site and help others just like Sheila would do IF she were here. All of my posts on here are made with love as I feel you guys are family like you were to my mom Sheila.

Jen
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
Lori R

Dear Yanyan,
I am so proud of you for recognizing the power of "labels" and how meaningless they are.

Even as a 5 1/2 year IV survivor that has actively battled this disease, I HAVE benefited by the research results as the years have ticked by. It has been a life very much worth living and I still have hope that between TDM-1 and Perjeta, there are more options.

Hang in there and don't accept anyone's label if it does not empower you!!!!

Lori
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
Emy

yanYan, you are so young..stay strong and fight.....
Bonnie..I was also misdiagnosed with lung cancer and had my lower right lobe of my lung removed.....
Lori...How are you managing with liver mets? I see a liver surgeon tomorrow....Tykerb, herceptin and Faslodex not working...liver met doubled in size and tumor markers rising..
July 2015 stopped weekly taxol (2.5 years of weekly taxol) still on herceptin perjeta every 3 weeks..still ned
Jun 2014 liver ablation of 1 liver tumor..now ned
Jun 28, 2013 ca15-3 24, cea 3.8... Pet scan showed 2 liver tumors with intensity of 2.7 and 2.5 (11/13 intensity was 8.0)
Jan 2013 herceptin, perjeta every 3weeks, taxol weekly
Jan 2013 MRI showed 3 liver tumors doubled in size ca-15 is 55 end of month 71, cea 7
Dec 2012. Pet scan showed single liver nodule, having MRI liver on dec18th...MRI liver 3tumors... on herceptin, tykerb , fulvestrant ca-15-3 is 42
Sept 2012 ca-15 went from 85 to 35, pet scan showed decrease
May 2012 herceptin every 3 weeks, 1500 tykerb daily (6pills) and fulvestrant every 3 wks
May 2012 herceptin stopped working ca-15 is 85
Sept 2011 started herceptin every 3 wks and femara daily..mets to liver. Bone and lymph nodes
2011 liver mets...all samples from 2001 and 2010 reviewed...her2 positive, fish 5.4. Er positive, prog neg. Stage 4 breast ca...never was lung cancer
2010 16 weeks of chemotherapy for lung cancer (incorrect). Carboplatin and vinalbine...was actually breast ca mets
2010 misdiagnosed with lung cancer ..2cm tumor removed..lower right lobe removed
2001-2006 tamoxifen
2001. Ductal ca. Rt mastectomy
Emy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
KDR

Well, so much for staging. I don't believe in it, and I never will. There's a false sense of security in it: I just delivered this humble opinion to 100 doctors or scientists at a conference. Additionally, what is a Stage IV diagnosis supposed to except but a patient in the mindset of losing? I do believe in affliction. You are afflicted by cancer or you are not.

Stage IV is not a death sentence. There are plenty of people out there who have beaten this, and I plan to be one of them. If I'm not, I'm not.

You have not fallen off the cliff. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and remember Jackie's father's words: no rest for the daughter of a soldier (that is not verbatim).

Sent with care,
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
yanyan

Thank you very much for your kind words and wishes! So much hope I can get just by reading your signatures but it definitely makes a difference when you are here telling me in your own words that you are a brave warrior. My mom and bf were relieved to hear I don't have to have an aggressive surgery. All I told them is that my current treatment is effective and I need electron radiation to take care of the residual tumor cells if any. I didn't have the heart to tell them about my clinical dx. So everyone was happy and we had a good lunch together. I have decided not to share the news unless I absolutely have to. I don't want to see my loved ones suffer from worries that would only have negative impact on my emotions.

I don't know if I still want to work full time or focus on my healing. I guess I will wait after the radiation. I am thankful to all of you awesome ladies here. Thank you !!!
BMX with immediate recontruction 5/2011 Lattismus Flap- Dx stage 3c 10/23 nodes
9/11 Radiation
3/12 Local recurrence to skin stage IV
Whole body scan CLEAR
4/12 Tykerb & Xeolda Skin mets slowly regressing
8/12 PET & Brain CT Clear
5/13 Skin mets progressing
6/13 PET scan chestwall recurrence in contralateral anxillary,internal mammary and ipsilateral subpectoral nodes
6/13 kadcyla
10/13 whole body scan -clear NED. previously resolved skin rash gone but 3 new lesions. Biopsy confirmed for skin recurrence
11/13 to 02/14 tykerb & herceptin
02/14 add abraxane/gemzar, 2 weeks on 1 week off at reduced dose
05/14 whole body PET clear/ brain CT clear but skin mets are getting worse, ready for new chemo
05/14 navelbine perjeta herceptin
07/14 skin mets progressing red rash worse
08/14 wide local excision with diep flap to close wound. Final path shows 2 positive margins showing inflammatory carcinoma Going back to surgery in 2 weeks
09/01/14 resection- clear margins
3 weeks after 2nd surgery, a new nodular rash found near drain incision with 2 small red spots behind the chest wall biopsy on 10/1. Positive for breast cancer
Radiation 11/2014 with xeloda then weekly cisplatin
11/14 brain MRI clean
12/14 finished 33 radiations burnt and very painful. Bedridden for 1 week
12/14 t current Herceptin and perjeta only
02/15 rash on upper back right side skin mets radiation planned
02/15 staring electron radiation *35
Stopped at 30 due to severe skin burn, resumed 10 days later
05/15 red patches appeared in between previously radiated area, skin mets. Ct and brain Mri clear. Simulation planned, radiation to start after trip to Alaska.
05/24 new spot identified in scar line on previously radiated reconstructed breast- electron on both side chest wall area and scar line
07/15 multiple skin and lung recurrence begin halaven
11/15 cough much better but very tired on halaven and starting to see some new red skin blotches-suspicious
11/15 heading to China for immune therapy
yanyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
europa

Oh Yanyan, you are in my prayers. I know you think that your loved ones should be spared, I can totally understand. I thought the same of my mother. I just didn't want to worry her. well, turns out she is a rock and has been my guiding light when I myself couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. She helped me fight.
I hope you don't try and take this on by yourself. You have people that love you and want to be there for you, let them.

Sending you tons of love from one 30+ year old to another.
Stage 2B +++ ER+(10%), PR+(5%), HER2+++(1 positive node, 1 micromets to second node)
AC started 12/2011 ended 1/2012
Taxol + Herceptin weekly for 12 weeks ended 4/2012
30 zaps of radiation done 6/2012
Tamoxifen 6/2012
every 3 weeks of Herceptin for another year.
Metformin Trial 8/12
10/12 MRI- CLEAR
01/13 BRAIN MRI- CLEAR!
01/13 Neck MRI- CLEAR!
FINISHED HERCEPTIN 1/9/2013...Woot Woot
Starting Walter Reed Vaccine Trial 2/13
CT Scans + ultrasound of abdomen CLEAR-5/13
02/2015 through 11/2015 emergency D&Cs for Tamoxifen induced uterine polyps which caused uncontrollable hemorrhaging
12/2015 blood clot to left leg caused by Tamoxifen. No longer taking it. On Xarelto, a blood thinner
12/2015 Ablation to prevent hemorrhaging from potential issues with Tamoxifen residue in my system
1/2016 continuing journey without hormonal therapy. Reevaluating the option of a hysterectomy and oopherectomy.
4/1/2018 2mm stroke. Yes, stroke! No cause ever found but they believe it was a migraine that went bonkers and created a tiny clot. No deficits. I was back to normal with 24hrs. Now on baby aspirin for life.
7/27/2018 hysterectomy and oopherectomy
01/07/2019 Mastectomy and expanders put in
3/22/2019 Vtach, almost died. Cause unknown.
7/22/2019 New perky boobs put in
7/21/2020 Off of all drugs but a baby aspirin because of the stroke in 2018.

www.mychemobag.org
www.facebook.com/mychemobag

8 YEARS NED
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #14
dchips1

keep fighting, It is hard to hear the C word. This cancer journey is a path which we are on and somedays the path is a little rough, but with family and friends(including all the posters here), you will be able to Live and adjust, to all the appointments, and get back to living your life.

One of the things I have done as well as others is if you can't or don't want to work is go on Social security disability, once you are stage 4 basically you are automatically eligible and your child gets half the amount, that you get. After eligibility I believe you can still do part time work if you need to. after 2 years you are eligible for medicare.you can fill out app online or call them.

Prayers of peace and healing,
Darita mom to 6 five between the ages of 21-26, a 12 yr old, 1 6 yr old grandson. God, good dr's and medicine has let me see 5 graduations, a grandson, and still aiming for 2018 for 12yr old HS graduation, more grandkids, and continued healing
3/07 6 brain mets WBR down to c-2
4/07 osteonecrosis jaw
1/08 mri new 9mm lesion right lower side
2/08 gamma knife 1 lesion 11/08 regamma
10/09 latent rad necrosis to brain met,
1/20/10 crani: lesion necrosis w active cells continue her add tykerb
1/11 NED just Ingrown toenail! YEAH GOD
8/11 Tykerb, herceptin weekly, elevated her2 levels, negative scans
oct -march 11 new neuro deficits lower legs
3/12 2 spinal metsTykerb, Herceptin
04/12 4050cGY rads T 2-4 & T7-9
5/12 Brain,cervical lumbar clear/thoracic slight decrease
10/12 t 2-4 shrunk t-9 grew start Xeloda, 02/13 stop xeloda,5/13 on metformin, decadron, Tykerb, iv and IT herceptin 5/30/13 total #11 #2 of 80mg dose weekly.
9/13 100mg of IT her, IV hern, 750 mg tykerb, 3mg dec.
last Mri T--3 SHRUNK t7-9 shrunk no edema. Left shift in CBC bone marrow BX negative.
10/13 Ct has shown Double left ureters with stones/cysts in them, after 3 births and lots and U/S iit takes cancer to figure out you have 2 smaller ureters going into 1 kidney!
12/13 Mri brain no new lesions, cervical and lumbar arthritis.
Tspine lesion at T3 stable, T 7-9 GROWTH lots of pain

1/29/14 HIHO HIHO its off to Neuro surgery I go

Life is Good when you wake up in the morning and take a breath and know that God has given me another day.

dchips1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #15
Mtngrl

I agree with what the other wise ones have said. Especially with HER-2, staging offers very little security or peace of mind to those first diagnosed at earlier stages, and, thanks to recent breakthroughs, more and more people are living full, healthy, happy lives after a stage 4 diagnosis. Some researchers are even talking in terms of cure.

It's a tough pill to swallow, indeed, but it can be swallowed. The human spirit is amazingly resilient. Ongoing treatment is my "new normal" now, and I feel and look healthy and hearty.

Everyone who ever lived or is alive now has a 100% mortality rate. As one wag put it, "life is a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal." At this point it's more likely than not that I will die of breast cancer, but I don't know that for sure, and I don't know when.

Wholeness is not about physical condition. It's a state of mind/spirit/heart AND body.

Sorry you "graduated" to the stage 4 club, but there are some pretty awesome members in it.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
Lien

Cancer is many diseases lumped together under the same label. As are mets. Generally speaking, some live a good life for over a decade, some die soon after the Stage 4 diagnosis. Skin mets are not directly life threatening, and often respond well to treatment. Over the past 9 years I have "met" women online who survived and thrived after they were told there life expectancy was limited. Some have been NED for over 13 years. For some cancer has become a chronic disease that calls for treatment, just like diabetes or a heart condition do. These chronic illnesses may or may not cause one's death, eventually. My father just lost a friend to pneumonia, who was diagnosed with lung mets 10 years ago. He had been NED for 9 years, and died from an infection he got after he broke his hip. He was 81. He never thought he would beat his cancer, but he did.

So what I'm trying to tell you, is that doctors just don't know. They make a guess, based on other people's cancer experience and they present it as a fact. But it isn't. The only fact you have to deal with, is the fact that you need some kind of treatment for a disease that is chronic for now. It may or may not kill you eventually, but there's no-one in the whole wide world who can tell you for certain.

So live your life, love your loved ones, and find someone you can talk to about your cancer. Someone who doesn't know you so well, so you won't hurt them by telling them the truth, telling them about your fears. The hardest thing for me was telling my dad. My brother had died at 18, my mother had died from cancer 4 years previously, he was just recuperating from treatment for his prostate cancer, and his younger brother had died from cancer when he was 20. So much cancer in his life. But I needed to tell my kids, because they were more afraid of what I wasn't saying, and it wouldn't be fair to forbid them to talk to Grandpa about it. So I told him. He dealt with it much better than I expected. And I'm still here!

Love

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
ElaineM

Wink Re: Stage v- a hard to swallow fact

Cancer staging is a clinician's way of organizing things into categories. May people live for years and years with a stage 4 (or 5) diagnosis if that is how your clinicians identify it You might want to discuss the situation with your oncologist or find a good dermatologist who can work with your oncologist and your surgeon.
Take care.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #18
SoCalGal

Jacqueline's words: But I needed to tell my kids, because they were more afraid of what I wasn't saying, and it wouldn't be fair to forbid them to talk to Grandpa about it. So I told him. He dealt with it much better than I expected. And I'm still here!

Can't agree more...kids, friends, family fear the unspoken much more than the spoken. People want to help and to support you. As a long time survivor, with kids who were 6 & 8 at my original diagnosis, I had a method for delivering news...when I first hear any news I need some time to hatch a plan and calm down. When I deliver bad news to my kids (still), it is always along with my plan and my hope. Everyone takes their lead from me, so when I am hopeful it allows their hope to be present as well. I share my fears and terror with my inner circle of girlfriends, with my man and sometimes here, online. But not so much with my kids or family. However you deal, be gentle and easy on yourself. And as Bonnie says, Keep the Faith!
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #19
Pray

Yan Yan, I'm so sorry, That is one of the many blessings of this site. I also am unable to share with my friends and family about this journey and yet we still need to vent and know someone is listening and cares. Please know you are in my prayers. Peace my friend, Nancy
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #20
Joanne S

I always tell my daughters everything. They were 16 and 21 years old at the time of my initital diagnosis. I wait 5 days until the initial shock has worn off some and I've got better handle of my emotions. I tell them I got bad news and explain all the facts to them honestly. Of course, as a mom, I want to protect them, so I soften it up just a bit so it's just not so traumatic and scary for them. I actually feel some anxiety relief once they know.

I understand why staging is used by the medical professionals, but I quit putting much weight on staging, statistics and survival times, etc. I used to wonder where I fit in those risk statistics? Will I be in the 30%? or in the 70%.... No more, no matter what the statistics say, I see my changes are all 50/50---either I will ... or I won't... Any worrying I do isn't gonna help or benefit my chances, and worrying just makes me feel worse. We all know, it has a negative effect on our health. Of course I have times when I get concerned and blue, I remind myself of the serenity prayer and try to live each day one day at at time. I'm thankful for where I am and what I have - it could be so much worse. The following is a pledge I recently made to myself:

I will live sincerely.

I will learn from each person and each day on my journey
and will share ideas and wisdom from my own experiences.

With a grateful spirit, I will acknowledge my need for others
and will in turn be loving and generous,
remembering that every member of a community plays a unique role.

I will remain strong in my convictions
while keeping an open mind to perspectives beyond myself.

Courageously, I will respect each movement of my heart,
through fear and joy, grief and peace.

I will cultivate my passions with delight
and also take time for honest introspection.

I will love the person I am today
while constantly striving towards my best self.

I will keep a healthy balance between the rewards of discipline
and the growth and wonder that spontaneity brings.

I will acknowledge both the marvel and the limitations of my body
and respectfully take care of it the best I can.

Accepting the reality that there are circumstances I cannot change,
I will seize my power to actively change that which I can control
with hope and creativity.

I commit to living each chapter of my story:
honoring the lessons and gifts of my past,
fully participating in the fleeting beauty of the present,
and bravely walking towards the unknowns of my future.

Knowing that life is an enduring but glorious struggle,
I pledge to live each day with purpose.

I will live sincerely.

http://thelivesincerelyproject.com/pledge/
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote