HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
mburkhart

Hearing loss after carboplatin

I have finished with my six TCHP chemo treatments and had no noticeable hearing problems during my 18 weeks of therapy. About three weeks after treatment #6, within a 24 hour period, I suddenly had a significant hearing loss. It is like someone stuck ear plugs in both of my ears! I have seen an audiologist and an ENT and I have lost extensive high frequency levels. My oncologist does not think it was the carboplatin because the onset was sudden but no one else has any explanation or any suggestions for curing this. I am terrified this is a permanent hearing loss. It has now been seven weeks since my last TCHP chemo with no improvement. Has anyone else either had or heard of this happening?
mburkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:59 AM   #2
Debbie L.

Re: Hearing loss after carboplatin

Hi mburkhart. I don't know anything about this, but it does look like hearing loss can be a rare side effect of platin chemotherapy. Loss in the high-frequency range is mentioned. Most of the articles I found were about pediatric patients. I couldn't find anything about how suddenly (or gradually) the loss occurred, but the range of time(s) from administration of the platin to onset of hearing loss varied a LOT.

Regardless of the cause of your hearing loss, it seems like a good time for another expert opinion. Has your oncologist recommended a plan for that? It sounds a little dismissive of him to just say "it's not from the carboplatin".

Sending good thoughts, please keep us posted.

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:45 AM   #3
Pat94

I had TCH and have experienced some hearing loss. I was tested shortly before starting chemo so I could be retested to find out how much of a change but I don't think it is worth it. I don't need hearing aids yet so there really isn't anything that would change by being retested.
Pat94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:09 AM   #4
chekmark

I also experienced hearing loss but only one ear, it was annoying cuz it was so muffled and I have always had extremely good hearing, my oncologist said it could happen and that it will most likely come back. I lost 30% in one ear, it did come back but it took a long time and I'm still at 10% loss. Hang in there,,the many side effects we experience usually stop, eventually...ugh. The worst is over. Good luck!
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote