HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 03:08 AM   #1
Lani

Question How many of you worked in professions where you were exposed to radiation I wonder

The following article got me thinking. Any xray technicians or dental technicians among you?

ALso whereas the article cites possible use of the targets to radiosensitize tumors, perhaps treating her2+ dcis and/or idc with radiation therapy might be problematic, including to other locations in the same and the other breast. It will not be until studies of radiation therapy results are subdivided by breast cancer subtype, that any problems IF THEY EXIST will be discovered.

Oncogene. 2013 Jan 14. doi: 10.1038/onc.2012.629. [Epub ahead of print]
ErbB2, FoxM1 and 14-3-3ζ prime breast cancer cells for invasion in response to ionizing radiation.
Kambach DM, Sodi VL, Lelkes PI, Azizkhan-Clifford J, Reginato MJ.
Source
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
Abstract
ErbB2 is frequently highly expressed in premalignant breast cancers, including ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS); however, little is known about the signals or pathways it contributes to progression into the invasive/malignant state. Radiotherapy is often used to treat early premalignant lesions regardless of ErbB2 status. Here, we show that clinically relevant doses of ionizing radiation (IR)-induce cellular invasion of ErbB2-expressing breast cancer cells, as well as MCF10A cells overexpressing ErbB2. ErbB2-negative breast cancer cells, such as MCF7 and T47D, do not invade following treatment with IR nor do MCF10A cells overexpressing epidermal growth factor receptor. ErbB2 becomes phosphorylated at tyrosine 877 in a dose- and time- dependent manner following exposure to X-rays, and activates downstream signaling cascades including PI3K/Akt. Inhibition of these pathways, as well as inhibition of reactive oxygen species (ROS) with antioxidants, prevents IR-induced invasion. Activation of ErbB2-dependent signaling results in upregulation of the forkhead family transcription factor, FoxM1, and its transcriptional targets, including matrix metalloproteinase 2 (MMP2). Inhibition of FoxM1 by RNA interference prevented induction of invasion by IR, and overexpression of FoxM1 in MCF10A cells was sufficient to promote IR-induced invasion. Moreover, we found that 14-3-3ζ is also upregulated by IR in cancer cells in a ROS-dependent manner, is required for IR-induced invasion in ErbB2-positive breast cancer cells and together with FoxM1 is sufficient for invasion in ErbB2-negative breast cancer cells. Thus, our data show that IR-mediated activation of ErbB2 and induction of 14-3-3ζ collaborate to regulate FoxM1 and promote invasion of breast cancer cells and furthermore, may serve as therapeutic targets to enhance radiosensitivity of breast cancers.Oncogene advance online publication, 14 January 2013; doi:10.1038/onc.2012.629.
PMID: 23318431 [PubMed -]
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
chrislmelb

Re: How many of you worked in professions where you were exposed to radiation I wonde

Hi Lani, i was a dental assitant for 12 years and my boss used to xray so much. We were behind a metal wall but i did wonder. A dental technician shouldn't be affeted by radiation unless they do something i can't think of.
I am hopeless at reading those articles. In plain English(!!!!), can you tell me what it says please?
thanks
Christine

DX Sept 03 age 40 Stage 2B Grade 3 mastectomy (after 2 prior breast conserving surgeries)
"at least" 2.3 cm 3/12 nodes ER+/PR+ Her2+++
8 FEC. Tamoxifen then Arimidex. Ovaries out.
"late" Herceptin for 2 years (18months after chemo) on HERA trial. finished Herceptin Nov 2007.
Multiple bone mets May 2012 and now liver August 2012.
Abraxne, Herceptin and Zometa.
June 2013 Tykerb, Xeloda and Xgeva
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
Lani

Re: How many of you worked in professions where you were exposed to radiation I wonde

It says radiation in doses like those used in the field of medicine can cause noninvasive DCIS to turn into invasive IDC in an experimental model (this has not been shown in in intact humans yet)
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
Emy

Worked as nuclear medicine tech for 7 years
Eileen
July 2015 stopped weekly taxol (2.5 years of weekly taxol) still on herceptin perjeta every 3 weeks..still ned
Jun 2014 liver ablation of 1 liver tumor..now ned
Jun 28, 2013 ca15-3 24, cea 3.8... Pet scan showed 2 liver tumors with intensity of 2.7 and 2.5 (11/13 intensity was 8.0)
Jan 2013 herceptin, perjeta every 3weeks, taxol weekly
Jan 2013 MRI showed 3 liver tumors doubled in size ca-15 is 55 end of month 71, cea 7
Dec 2012. Pet scan showed single liver nodule, having MRI liver on dec18th...MRI liver 3tumors... on herceptin, tykerb , fulvestrant ca-15-3 is 42
Sept 2012 ca-15 went from 85 to 35, pet scan showed decrease
May 2012 herceptin every 3 weeks, 1500 tykerb daily (6pills) and fulvestrant every 3 wks
May 2012 herceptin stopped working ca-15 is 85
Sept 2011 started herceptin every 3 wks and femara daily..mets to liver. Bone and lymph nodes
2011 liver mets...all samples from 2001 and 2010 reviewed...her2 positive, fish 5.4. Er positive, prog neg. Stage 4 breast ca...never was lung cancer
2010 16 weeks of chemotherapy for lung cancer (incorrect). Carboplatin and vinalbine...was actually breast ca mets
2010 misdiagnosed with lung cancer ..2cm tumor removed..lower right lobe removed
2001-2006 tamoxifen
2001. Ductal ca. Rt mastectomy
Emy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Jen

Sheila (my Mom) was a "nuclear nurse" that worked in Nuclear power plants.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
evergreen

I was a teacher.
Eating foods thought to fight cancer, exercising every other day,using my garden as my mecca of peace, and loving my supportive husband more than ever.
evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
StephN

I grew up "downwind" of the Hanford nuclear reservation in eastern Washington State. They had radiation "leaks" during my childhood that have been confirmed in later years. We ate food from the local farms and mom and neighbors grew foods and had fruit trees that we traded items from. I swam in the Columbia River.

P.S. I used to edit books and we used rubber cement to cut and paste all day long. I am sure there was something toxic about that glue.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.

Last edited by StephN; 01-24-2013 at 06:16 PM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:14 AM   #8
cienna

My mum is an X-Ray tech for over 20 years. She retired when she was diagnosed but still does locums now and again.

Lumpectomy done: 23/11/2011 (Tumour 1.2cm, Grade 2, 2 nodes removed. All negative)
Results: ER+, PR+, HER2 +++
Started treatment: RADS on 20/12/2011 (Finished on 02/02/12)
Will be going onto Femara for 5 years and receive once in 3 weeks Herceptin for 1 year.
cienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
Ora

I was a health physics tech, then rad manager for 25 years at rad decommissioning sites.
Lumpectomy 8-4-05, 2cm tumor, 3 nodes neg, Completed 4 A/C, 4 taxol, decadron (weekly due to steriod reaction) finished 4-17-06
Finished 33 rads 6-5-06, Femara, Started Herceptin 6-22-06
Effexor for hot flashes, Taken off Herceptin Feb 2007 due to low LVEF (44 by Echo) Coreg & Lisinopril replaced bp meds - April Echo back up to 55 Resumed Herceptin 5-21-07.
2010: almost 5 YRS NED!!! Still taking Femara & Coreg. Due to all the CT scans, abdominal aneurysm found & repaired. Something good came out of having cancer.
2013 7+ years NED. Still on Femara
Ora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
carlatte7

RN in a hospital...
May1- first chemo.
May 5- I could no longer feel the mass. Really. Neither could my oncologist.
July 2- 4th TCH- Oncologist cancels last 2 tx due to "complete response"
August6- lumpectomy with axillary node dissection. No disease present in breast. 1 out of 14 nodes + (4mm)
MUGA #2- 72%
Finished 30 rads Oct '12. Mild lymphedema noticed when I had 2 rads left.
Continue Herceptin q3w until next May
April '13- first mammo since surgery- calcium deposits that are " not concerning." Well, they are concerning to ME! Turned loose from surgeon for 6 months! One more Vit H, will make plans then for port removal.
Oct '13- no change in calcium deposits. "See ya in 6 months!" Keeping port for now.
March '14- oncologist says return in 6 mo.
April '14- mammo unchanged. Surgeon will see me in 6 months but no mammo for a year unless something changes. Its getting easier, but oh, boydo i hate that scanxiety! Keeping port until 2 year anniversary of last Herceptin.
Sept'14- bloodwork good, return to onco in 8 months.
Oct'14- surgeon will see me in April '15. Moving on.
May '15- mammo unchanged, keeping same schedule. Tumor markers soon and if all is well port comes out.
July '15-tumor markers normal. See onco in a year. Appt. for port end of month. First grandchild born July 1st- for today, life is good.
carlatte7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
KDR

In front of computer screen since 1980. Worry about my daughter and the effect of today's constant gadgets kids use.

Karen
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
Ceesun

I was a teacher...but had radiation treatment to the thymus gland(enlarged) as an infant..one treatment..was the standard of care then. As a young adult was diagnosed with a slow growing thyroid cancer and @ 25 years later breast cancer...in my case, it was the radiation.
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
Deb33

Flight Attendant for 17 years - late 70's - early 90's. One of us tried to wear a device that measured radiation during a flight and were immediately disciplined. Who knows what we carried in baggage claim?
2/23/11 Began TCH protocol every 21 days 6x
5/23/11 Ultrasound of originally diseased lymph node shows normal
7/25/11 Lymph node dissection - 8 of 14 show disease
7/29/11 Double mastectomy with reconstruction (expanders)
8/29/11 Begin follow up chemo - Adriamycin 4 treatments every 2 weeks and Xeloda. Self inject Nupogen shots
1/6/12 6 weeks of Radiation finished
2/13/12 Last Herceptin/remove port
3/27/12 PET/Brain Scan NED :)
8/15/12 Final reconstruction - hello nipples, good bye expanders
9/14/12 Rejected implant/infection. Implant removed
5/6/13 Latissumis Dorsi surgery left side with expander

PS - my photo was taken 5 days after my double mastectomy surgery and 6 weeks after my TCH was completed
Deb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
1rarebird

I worked 30 years in industrial and environmental settings where exposure to higher than natural background radiation was always a potential. However, I suspect the chemical carcinogens I was more frequently exposed to over those years may have more to do with my breast cancer than the radiation exposure. It is ironic to me that after my diagnosis some of the treatments I received included both radiation and possibly carcinogenic compounds that affect normal cellular growth. But sometimes I suppose you have to fight fire with fire.---bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #15
Debra

I have worked as an x-ray technologist since 1990. I was diagnosed in 2005 but have been teaching in the field since 2000 so not "in" exposure areas as much from 2000-2005. I often wondered about my bc and the exposure I received. I did a lot of fluoroscopy (upper GI's etc) so was often in the room with patient during exposure; wearing a lead apron but back then, those aprons were not checked as often. I also have a son that had testicular cancer diagnosed at the age of 1; (20 yrs ago). Did a lot of fluoroscopy the weeks prior to finding out I was pregnant. Again, wore all the protective apparal but still wonder. It is a very safe profession if we use good "radiation hygiene" and have good protective apparal. Now days, I doubt if the occupational exposure would be a contributing factor for those of us following the proper protocol; but some of us old-timers....makes us wonder!

Diag. 11/05 at age 40 triple positive
3.8 cm tumor and 9 mm tumor
Stage IIb/SN positive(no other nodes)Grade 3
Bilat. mastect. 12/05 (Rt.prophylactic) followed with AC/taxol/Herceptin/tamoxifen then switched to arimidex after hysterectomy in 12/06. August 07 switched to Aromasin due to severe jt. pain from Arimidex. Nov. 2011 No more meds and NED!
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote