HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #41
fullofbeans

Re: Finally - a Vaccine Trial for me!

StephN glad that you can join that trial, may you stay NED forever indeed!

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #42
Debbie L.

Hi Steph, Yes, I'm going to SABCS and will look for you all. For the first time this year, I'm staying a ways out of town so will be coordinating schedules with my roommates and may not spend quite as much time at the convention center (like maybe not every waking moment, smile) as I usually do.

And I just got a PM from Paty from the LEAD forum site -- now I just have to figure out how to go there and answer her. Paty, if you're reading this here -- I look forward to talking to you, too!

And to get back to the topic of this thread -- it's great to hear all the vaccine trial participants talking about their experience. I hope you will continue to check in and educate us about the various approaches, the locations of the trials, and the logistical challenges that you've solved.

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #43
'lizbeth

Oh wow, my weals look totally different. I just popped up and saw you were in a vaccine trial. I am so happy for you.

I'm popping out to San Antonio in a few weeks for my next booster myself.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #44
StephN

Wink Re: Finally - a Vaccine Trial for me!

Hello -
Hope you are all enjoying this Thanksgiving weekend.

Thanks for all the discussion on this thread regarding the vaccine trials. This seems to be a very active area of research.

I had my second round last week (of a total of three - and no boosts). All is well. No flu-like symptoms at all - I think because the immune boosting agent works differently than what was previously used.

This is easier than getting Herceptin, and I hope it will help keep my immune system on high alert for any odd ball cells!

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #45
norkdo

congratulations steph on getting into this trial. you are doing so fantastic and u are a hero for the newly diagnosed like myself, who read your signature line.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #46
ElaineM

I am glad you are doing well Steph. Keep up the great work.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #47
tricia keegan

I also am so glad to read you're doing so well Steph and long may that last!!!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #48
StephN

Reporting in that I had my last (of three) vaccines a couple of days ago and I feel just great. Since it is a trial and there are 4 doses of the immune booster being given, I don't know which one I am getting - the high, medium or low amount.

But I DO know I am getting some, just hope it is not the lowest amount as I have no side effects that I can tell.

Anyway, I go again for a blood draw in about 4 weeks and then again to give blood 11 months after that.

I met a woman who is coming all the way from Australia for this vaccine!

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #49
Mandamoo

Following with interest! There are no vaccine trials in Australia at all. It seems there is a lot of interest over there but whenever I speak to anyone here about it I am met with a mostly negative response. Let's hope that there is something magic in there for all of us - including the Stage 4 gals.
22 February 2011 - Diagnosed Early Breast Cancer IDBC Stage2b (ER/PR -ve, Her2+ve +++) - 38 years old
(L) skin sparing mastectomy with tissue expander, axilla clearance (2/14 affected) clear margins.
Fec*3, Taxotere and herceptin*2 - stopped due to secondary diagnosis

June 24 2011 Stage IV - Skin met, axilla node, multiple lung lesions

Bolero3 trial - Navelbine, Hereptin weekly, daily Everolimus/Placebo
February 2012 - July 2012 Tykerb and Xeloda - skin mets resolved, Lungs initially dramatically reduced but growing again
August 2012 (turn 40!) tykerb and herceptin (denied compassionate use of TDM1) while holidaying in Italy!
September 2012 - January 2013 TDM1 as part of the Th3resa trial - lymph nodes resolved, lungs slowly progressing.
January 2013 - herceptin, carboplatin and Perjeta (compassionate access)
April 2013 - Some progression in lungs and lymph nodes - Abraxane, Herceptin and Perjeta
July 2013 - mixed response - dramatic reduction of most lung disease, progression of smaller lung nodules and cervical and hilar nodes - ? Add avastin.
Mandamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #50
StephN

Hello Amanda -
The lady I met this week who is coming for the trial lives in the next valley over fom the Hunter outside Sydney. She said it was her oncologist who told her about the trial. So, there are some doctors who ar clued in about vaccines. The lady did not know about this web site.

Hope all is giong well with you. Are you still in the Bolero trial?

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Old 12-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #51
Mandamoo

Hi Steph - she comes from a beautiful part of our country then.
Yes - I am still on the Bolero trial - I have not really seen any reduction but I have now had 6 months of stable. I have had a partial response in my axilla node 21-13mm but not one of my lung mets has gone (they are small) or really changed. My skin met has also changed dramatically in appearance but it is still there and a little smaller. My onc has said if I hadn't had the positive biopsy on my skin she would wonder whether what the scans are showing in my lungs was actually cancer but given I had clear scans prior to my surgery in February and I am an otherwise healthy 39year old women there is little else to explain it. I tolerate the treatment very well now my dosage has been sorted and we think I am receiving the Everolimus so I hope to continue for quite some time yet.
The thinking behind the vaccine is just so appealing to me. Was there any talk about vaccines at San Antonio?
Amanda
22 February 2011 - Diagnosed Early Breast Cancer IDBC Stage2b (ER/PR -ve, Her2+ve +++) - 38 years old
(L) skin sparing mastectomy with tissue expander, axilla clearance (2/14 affected) clear margins.
Fec*3, Taxotere and herceptin*2 - stopped due to secondary diagnosis

June 24 2011 Stage IV - Skin met, axilla node, multiple lung lesions

Bolero3 trial - Navelbine, Hereptin weekly, daily Everolimus/Placebo
February 2012 - July 2012 Tykerb and Xeloda - skin mets resolved, Lungs initially dramatically reduced but growing again
August 2012 (turn 40!) tykerb and herceptin (denied compassionate use of TDM1) while holidaying in Italy!
September 2012 - January 2013 TDM1 as part of the Th3resa trial - lymph nodes resolved, lungs slowly progressing.
January 2013 - herceptin, carboplatin and Perjeta (compassionate access)
April 2013 - Some progression in lungs and lymph nodes - Abraxane, Herceptin and Perjeta
July 2013 - mixed response - dramatic reduction of most lung disease, progression of smaller lung nodules and cervical and hilar nodes - ? Add avastin.
Mandamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #52
choyces

Congratulations Steph!

I'm very excited for you. My paperwork for the trial is sitting on someone's desk at the UW. I'm waiting for the phone call. I will watch for your posts and how this goes for you. I hope to meet someday.

Tina
choyces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #53
StephN

Hi Choyces -
Did you get into this vaccine trial?

I went today to give the first post vaccine blood draw - a BIG one!

Had some news from Dr. Salazar that they are suspending enrollment for a while - they have 28 right now.

They want to perform an interim analysis and find out which of the 4 doses of the Ampligen are giving immune response. The idea is that if there is a dose that is not effective they will stop that arm/arms and go forward with the rest of this phase after they analyze the first 24 of us for immune response.

They hope to let those of us who have had this combination know about our immune responses soon.

At this point the estimate to resume new enrollees is April sometime.

But anyone who is interested can contact the U of W Tumor Group and start the process.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Old 01-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #54
choyces

Hi Steph,

I didn't get into Phase I of the 133 Vaccine trial. I have to be on herceptin for a year. They have my paperwork and have stated that if I stay in remission I will most likely be admitted into Phase II, which will start in about 6 months. I'm a little disappointed, but will continue with the herceptin. It's starting to give me some of the muscle aches others have reported. I'm continuing to walk and swim through it. I'm building a near infrared light box and canvas tenting system to turn my bath into a sauna. I expect this to help with pain and keeping my system clean.

I'm going back to my classroom in March!

Thank you for all the great information and please let us know how the trial is going for you and the other trailblazers.

Tina
choyces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #55
StephN

Hay Tina-
I am sure the phase II version of this trial will be timely for you. After you have your year of Herceptin (believe me it IS worth it!), they second phase should be up and running. Just check with the coordinator when you get close to the end of your Herceptin.

Very enterprising of you to gin up the home made sauna! How is it working?

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Old 03-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #56
StephN

This trial (the 133 at U of W Tumor Vaccine Group) is back in action after a short break to catch up with the lab work. If you are interested, contact the U of W Tumor Vaccine Group soon as they are working through the waiting list right now.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Old 03-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #57
Mtngrl

Thanks, Steph.

I live in Boston. I asked my oncologist to look into vaccine trials here. She said she would.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #58
sarah

Congrats Stephanie! this is great!!!
love
A+
sarah