HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-03-2004, 10:58 PM   #1
Lyn

Recently a lady here in Australia had a heart transplant, the heart donar had Epstein Barr Virus in the organs (which causes Glandula Fever) and it gave the lady Cancer. She didn't want chemo so she was treated with a vaccine from her own immune system and she is now NED. They are now also experimenting with this type of vaccine for head and neck cancer, mine keeps coming back in the neck. Research I have done shows that these viruses are contributing to the cause of invasive Breast Cancer so they are now looking for a vaccine also for Epstein Barr Virus. So I am curious if any of you ladies have had either.

Hugs Lyn

Old 03-04-2004, 04:09 AM   #2
Steph N.

That is an AMAZING story about the woman getting cancer from a donated heart!! The vaccine story is also quite interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Question was: "Research I have done shows that these viruses are contributing to the cause of invasive Breast Cancer so they are now looking for a vaccine also for Epstein Barr Virus. So I am curious if any of you ladies have had either."

I was diagnosed with Mononucleosis (Kissing Disease)when I was 15, that would be 35 years before my diagnosis. Not sure if this is the same as Epstein Barr, but somehow similar. I had the symptoms of swollen glands, low grade fever, feeling listless and wanting to sleep during the day at school. My spleen was enlarged, but not to a very bad extent. I could not go skiing or to swim team for about 3 months - torture for me!
I have been wondering if this was in any way related to my cancer ...
Old 03-04-2004, 05:46 AM   #3
Janet, UK

Yes, I had glandular fever at 17. Breast cancer at 38. I remember speaking to a homeopath just after I was diagnosed who told me the virus which causes glandular fever is regarded by some as a carcinogenic.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:56 AM   #4
Beth

I also had Mononucliosus when I was 14 and wonder frequently if this contributed to my BC. I was given 3 different kinds of antibiodics and was told it (the mono) could effect the liver. Now I have liver mets.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:52 AM   #5
Lyn

Hi there, yep!! The kissing disease is the other name for mononucleosis which is also related to Glanduala Fever which comes about from having Epstein Barr Virus, which can have effects without you knowing until something causes you immune system to disrupt, my guess is that it is stress, working too hard, not sleeping skipping meals and a host of other body stresses we don't know about, chemicals cigarett smoke, we are walking time bombs and I think that this is why there is more BC and other cancers now because of our life styles. Not to mention years ago people did not live as long as they do now but that could be because they were dying of cancer and not knowing it, bowel cancer is a good example it is the silent killer which is hard to detect unless they go looking for it, usually becoming obvious when it is usually too late but we have great drugs now so people are surviving longer.

big hugs Lyn
Old 03-04-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
Lyn

Hi there, does make you wonder, if they could stop the virus that may be the answer for our cure!!!

Hugs Lyn
Old 03-04-2004, 11:30 AM   #7
Lolly

Hi Lyn,
Very interesting, as my daughter had mono when she was 10 yrs. old; I was 33 yrs. I wasn't diagnosed, remember that I had problems with my glands off and on for a couple of years, just thought I was working too hard and tired from trying to keep up with family and job. Diagnosed at age 45. I'm going to ask my onc when I see him next.
Hugs,
Lolly
Old 03-05-2004, 03:01 AM   #8
Barb

I had mono at age 16. Was very ill. The doctors felt I may have had it about a year before it was finally diagnosed. Hospitalized for about one month. Had to stay down/resrict activities for 3 months. Had to force myself to eat; became very thin. Turned yellow, not sure if that was from the liver or possibly hepatitis along with it.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:17 PM   #9
Lyn

Hi Barb, have a read of the web address Lolly gave on my other post.

Hugs Lyn
Old 03-05-2004, 08:19 PM   #10
Lyn

Hi Lolly, ask your onc if they have to do a special blood request to see if it is still in your body.

Hugs Lyn