HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-05-2004, 06:16 AM   #1
Anonymous

IM HAVING DIRREAH (SP) CONSTIPATION, LOSS OF APPETITE, SOME NAUSEA. I HAVE A FEW SPOTS N LIVER AND AM TAKING NAVLEBINE AND GEMZAR. THNK THE CHEMO IS THE CAUSE OF THE SYMPTONS?
Old 03-05-2004, 07:15 AM   #2
Annamarie16

I am on Navelbine alone right now and am having the same symptoms. Sometimes I think we are taking so many drugs that it is hard to decide which drugs are causing which side affects. I take Milk of Magnesia for constipations and it is hard for me to decide when to even take it. Some days I don't have a bm and others have very loose bm's. Am also taking a lot of pain meds so can understand how hard it is for you to know what is causing the problems. Guess we all have to go by trial and error because we all have different symptoms from taking the same drug. I truly believe it isn't just the chemo, but other drugs we are putting into our bodies along with the chemo. I am blaming my poor appitite on the MS Contin I am taking, but who knows.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:51 AM   #3
Lisa

I'm on Navelbine/Herceptin also for liver (and bone) mets. The first 2-3 months on Navelbine were tough on me. Often felt like a Mack truck hit me. Lots of digestive issues. Tried several prescriptions for constipation/diarrhea. Finally tried Traditional Medicine's "Smooth Move" tea. That seems to keep me pretty regular. 3 other things I used for the whole achy stomach problems. One, I quit eating gluten for a while. Apparently, many people on Navelbine have a sensitivity to wheat. Second, I had 4 accupuncture sessions. And third, I took acidophilus tablets daily to help balance the intestinal flora. Don't know what worked. But eventually, I regained appetite and got past the "yucks." good luck

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 03-05-2004, 10:21 PM   #4
jessica

I was on Navelbine early in my treatment and the combo of the Navelbine & anzemet, or most any anti nausea med, can cause constipation.
I ate swiss chard & spinach and that did the trick for me!Plus, it seems we can get enough of our dark,leafy greens & cruciferous veggies what with their cancer-fighting phytochemicals!Talk about "...two birds w/one stone".
Take good care!
Old 03-05-2004, 10:52 PM   #5
Sandy

Cooked prunes worked for me and found them to be great for my potassium which is usally low. I also increased my green enzemes during the 3 days after my weekly treatment. Instant constipation being on Carbo. Hugs, Sandy
Old 03-05-2004, 11:14 PM   #6
Lolly

Ditto on the prunes, only I didn't cook them, just ate a couple with breakfast and in the afternoon for a snack. Also good to help keep your iron up.
Hugs,
Lolly