HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-06-2004, 11:22 AM   #1
Jill

This was discussed last week on this board so I went on a fact-finding mission since after several years I'm beginning to have a reaction to Herceptin. I asked my Dr. what they mix my Herceptin with (in office) and he responded with just saline, which was correct, but when the nurse brought in the Herceptin box, there are 2 vials inside, one the Herceptin and the other a dilutant containing benzyl alcolhol. These are mixed together first because each vial is 4-5 doses, and then it's diluted with saline for each individual patient. It's going to be a problem to mix my dose with just saline because they can't waste the other 4 doses (thousands of dollars!) and it would have to be used within 6-8 hours. So the point is . . . even though your Dr. may order your Herceptin diluted with only saline, the manufacturer has already included the preservative in the packaging.

Jill
Old 03-06-2004, 02:27 PM   #2
Lolly

This is good to know, I go in Monday for my next dose and will ask also. I haven't had any problems so far, but it sure doesn't help you narrow down what may be causing your problem. I wish they packaged it in individual doses. Could your nurses draw enough out in a syringe for your dose, mix with saline, then do the same for the diluant only discard the amount that would have been used for you and mix the rest up for other patients? It just seems like there ought to be a way, so you could at least see if that's the problem...
Hugs,
Lolly