HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-06-2004, 10:56 AM   #1
jojo

Hi there sisters...

Just wondering how your own circle of friends has been reacting to your cancer situation? How often do you hear from friends re: "how ya doing? just checking in to say a quick hi"? How active is your social life?

My friends live 30 mins from me at opposite ends, and I see them, like once every 3 months. I'm feeling a bit socially deprived, as I'm finding out that my best medicine, other than laughter, is just hanging out with friends and acting normal, not needing to talk "cancer".

Any input is welcomed!

Also, really a great blessing to have you on board.... I don't post often (that's because, after I've completed chemo & rads, I'm simply catching up on my old life nowadays). Nonetheless, I'd LOVE to hear from you! :-)

Take good care of yourselves. Hugs :-)
Old 03-06-2004, 03:33 PM   #2
Steph N.

Catching up on your life after completing several months of treatment is quite a challenge. I am still facing piles of stuff that is dated two years ago! Some nice surprises in there tho!
I had one friend tell me that it took her four years to get organized and things back in line after her treatment. I had 2 go-rounds in one year - so I guess I have to just take it a little at a time. Friends, indeed make the difference in getting us out and about. Even if we aren't sure we have the energy - we find it for them!

Maybe you can make some new friends if you find a mutual activity. Some say "cancer is the answer" and gets us to do all sorts of things we otherwise might not have.
Keep the faith and just enjoy the spring that is emerging.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:02 AM   #3
Vi

I think that many friends just don't know what to say or how to act. It will be 1 year in April that I was diagnosed, and my friends are still there for me. We're pretty honest with each other...when I feel like talking, we talk. When I feel like laughing we laugh. The most important thing that my circle of friends did for me is remind me how much I mattered. Be sure your friends understand that there is no right or wrong thing to ask or share. Friendship to me is unconditional. My friends are as important to me as my family, but in different ways. My friends were picked by me, they were not born unto me or me unto them. We have many shared values, and we have many differences...that's what makes friendships so real. I would be honest with your friends and tell them how you're feeling. What an honor it would be for a friend to tell me they miss me and would like more of me in their life. If these are friends you care about, open the dialogue. I think you'll find many just don't know what you need or how they should act. Be well.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:57 AM   #4
Lolly

Jojo,
I think one has to expect to lose a few by the wayside; I had the same experience as you, and was feeling a bit blue about it for awhile, I've just made new friends along the way. We have a few friends who have stayed in touch on their own, but most people need a little encourgement; call and invite them over for coffee or tea, and they'll be relieved. Some feel like they would be intruding otherwise, and some have just never been around a cancer patient and don't know how to act. You just have to show them the way!
Hugs,
Lolly