HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-04-2004, 06:15 AM   #1
pam

I don't think i ever had the type of virus you women are talking about, but I had shingles about 2 years before I was diagnosed with IBC. The shingles were on the same side, right breast & around to the back, as my cancer. I've always thought there is a connection between the two for me.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:21 AM   #2
Lisa

Count me in! I had mono as a young teenager, but don't remember antibiotics or not. The question is, of course, how many women who had mono have NOT had BC.

Love and light,
Lisa
Old 03-04-2004, 08:37 AM   #3
Kitty

I had shingles just last week and they are acting up again! What is the deal???? I am beginning to think there is a connection with the bilateral BC!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2004, 08:40 AM   #4
Kitty

I had mono in 5th grade and was diagnosed with bilateral BC at age 46..... I had Infiltrating lobular carcinoma...and ductal..... Yes, I think we are on to something!!! I go tomorrow to the Moffitt Cancer Center for Aredia infusion..... I am surely going to call this to their attention! Everyone thinks I am nuts!!!!! (:
Old 03-04-2004, 08:48 AM   #5
Kitty

I was also told that my cancer had met. to the bone....then it had not....then the soft tissues were involved....Bottom line! My doctors now think I am nuts because I question them! Has anyone else had this problem????? I have had quite enough of the attitudes!
Old 03-04-2004, 09:58 AM   #6
Lyn

Hi there, shingles is from the chicken pox VIRUS, which I mentioned on another thread, you could have had Epstein Barr Virus and not known, I had glandula fever, I remember being sick but I just went on and it was a blood test 12 months later that said I had it, so I don't know if they can still tell from our blood.?

Hugs Lyn
Old 03-04-2004, 09:59 AM   #7
Lyn

Hi there, good question but we know this monster doesn't discriminate so where do you start, at what age? I got mine at 44?

Hugs Lyn
Old 03-04-2004, 10:03 AM   #8
Lyn

Hi there, there has always been the suggestion that it could be a virus upsetting our immune system, letting the lille creaps mutate into cancer, it is known that everyone has cancer cells in their body, but what triggers it? obviously some type of immune system break down, but from which virus? or the same one that mutates into many. We now have chicken pox, measles and mumps vaccines, but what triggers them off in the first place, maybe Epstein Barr Virus. Hugs Lyn
Old 03-04-2004, 10:31 AM   #9
Lyn

Hi there, I haven't because I have been comfortable with my onc from the beginning, I can even ring him direct if I want at any time. A few ladies on the forum have experienced it my advice along with a lot of others is get a new one, bottom line is they go home without the disease but we live with it all the time. You don't need your doc adding more stress, get you GP to refer you to another. Info I get from this forum and on the net I always pass onto my onc and now his assistant onc wants copies. They think because we don't have a degree we know nothing, if it weren't for another site I was on I would not have known about Herceptin, the lady who told me was in Scotland, I am in Australia and she said she failed the HER test, when I told my onc he was not too familiar with it, only telling me all the bad things about the drug, now he tells his staff to give me what I want, incluidng when to have tests done, he just shakes his head at me and grins. I was told by his assistant last week that my onc said I should have been deal long ago, good jon he didn't tell me, but I am still defying the odds and I shall continue to for at least another 40 years my mum is still well with no health issuses at 84 my dad passed away last year at 84 because of his over indulgence in chocolate he had a massive heart attack along with diabeties, so the the receipe death by chocolate makes sense but what a way to go, he sat up coughed and it was all over. Hugs Lyn

PS my Onc is also treating my dad's brother 74 some 2000 miles away at his clinic in Cairns and he rings him as well.

Hugs Lyn
Old 03-04-2004, 01:05 PM   #10
Paula

One month after I had finished my course of chemo and radiation, I ended up with shingles, meningitis and thrush in the ER. Three doctors in the ER told me I had chiggar bites. When my oncologist came in and asked to see the chiggar bites, he told me I had a severe case of shingles. They were on my bc side under the breast around to the middle of my back. Between the headache pain and shingle pain, I was hospitalized on morphine for 10 days. My heart goes out to anyone who has had shingles -- they are very painful. Love and blessings, Paula