HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-03-2004, 08:09 AM   #1
Hope

Does anyone have any information about taking iron supplements increases cancer tumors. I am on Navelbine/Hercerptin and my onc put me on Procrit for low red blood count. However, when they tested my blood, they found out I am very anemic. My iron is at 43. I believe 61 is low end of normal. Anyway, my onc. put me on mega doses of Iron. I have to take 3 325mg. tablets daily. I thought I read from someone on a post here that cancer loves iron. Does anyone have any info on that. I would love a link or some info as to where to go to get info. I see onc in 2 weeks and would like info. to talk to her about it. I'm very scared that my cancer is growing because now I have to take iron.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:37 PM   #2
Jerri

Hope,

I don't have an answer for your question about tumor cells loving iron. However, I too have an iron defiency anemia. It is very severe and we are still doing the work up to see what is going on. My current iron level is 12. According to my lab sheet, normal is 35-155. In another source "A Manual of Laboratory Diagnost Tests" they say the normal range for iron is 42-135. So my thought is, if you are really nervous about this maybe you don't need such a mega dose. Or maybe you don't need it at all right now. If you do continue on the iron, consider adding vitamin C and B. It will help the iron absorption.

Hang in there,

Jerri
Old 03-03-2004, 07:52 PM   #3
Zoanne Gonzalez

Hope,Get a second opinion. I remember reading that you are not to take iron supp. if your anemic from chemo or radiation. If I were you I would ask the pharmasist at your oncology center or go to one of those "ask the doctor" sites on line.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:16 AM   #4
Anonymous

Hi -
I was given a sheet of foods that are high in iron at my cancer center when my counts were low. I ate a lot of things from that sheet as recommended and that seemed to help. My med onc advised me only to take a good multivitamin, but not to go overboard on extra vitamins during my chemo.
I do not eat a lot of red meat and buy only angus beef or naturally raised. I learned to do a few things with lentils!
Good luck. A little red wine won't hurt, either!
Old 03-04-2004, 06:24 AM   #5
Hope

Zoanne, do you know the e-mail address of an "ask the doctor" site online?
Old 03-04-2004, 06:28 AM   #6
Hope

Jerri, let me know if they put you on iron supplements or what they tell you. I would liketo know so I can bring it up to my onc., because she told me 61 was low normal and I am at 42. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:15 AM   #7
Jerri

Hope,

I have been on Iron 325mg three times a day for 4 weeks now. I am waiting on the results of uppper and lower endoscopy biopsys. I go today for Herceptin and more blood work this morning. I will let you know.

Jerri