HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-05-2004, 08:22 AM   #1
patty z

Snow storm was not a problem, only added maybe 10 minutes to our normal hour and 15min drive.

In early, went to CK room at ten to ten. Mask on by ten. Off at 11:30, 90 minutes later. Left the bldg. at noon.

This was by all standards easier to do than the 3 SRS procedures...but nothing is ever 'free'.

The face mask is now a rigid form with 1/4 inch openings all over it. It is form-fit to the contours of my face. When on the table, lay flat on back (with leg cushion), back of head in another form fitted to that area, face mask put on, then tightly bolted down at sides in several places. There is extreme pressure on all face surface areas. Relaxing is not an option, only in body. The skin covering my teeth and gums hurt the whole 90 mins. But didn't seem as bad later because the back of my head began to ache severely from the pressure and not being able to alleviate it. I guess everyone complains of the same thing.

You can not open eyes, nor even move eyes under lids, it is that tight. the gridwork on my face is almost gone 4 1/2 hrs later, except for red marks on my chin.

Two tumors were treated. I go back in on Monday. First was told 10am again. Given card with time on it. Then got called with new time...8am. sigh. It makes it just more difficult, getting up and moving so I am not in pain early enough to leave for the long drive, plus get the dogs fed and let out and back in, cats messed with...I'd like those two hrs back. Anyway...

Monday the plan is to treat another two tumors. Communication is very poor at this new facility. If I don't ask, no one tells me anything. So, I am assuming (oh boy) that the four remaining 'for sure' tumors are all that were left to treat. And the other 'possible' is nothing...

I was given a list of possible side effects and meds to take. I won't know anything for quite a while and sure would like to be able to tell you SOMETHING. But, it's just another 'wait and see' kind of thing. This process is sooo anti-climatic. Any 'yeahahs' somewhere down the road yet.

I practiced going through all my posts and emails of encouragement, prayers and good wishes. And it did help, so Thankyou again!!

Still feeling woozy probably from the Ativan. Wish it would have conked me out for 90 minutes! lol

Any questions? I'll be glad to try and answer them.

love and hugs,
pattyz
Old 03-05-2004, 10:16 PM   #2
jessica

patty-
just want to send you positive energy for comfort and rest and peace over the weekend.
Keep the faith and leave the prayers to us while you take it easy for a while,
God bless,
Jessica
Old 03-05-2004, 10:40 PM   #3
Lolly

Patty,
All I can say is WOW, and thanks for giving us the report. It sounds like it was quite an ordeal, but so interesting because there's so much promise for you that it will take care of the mets. Get some much deserved R&R this weekend, and I'll look for your report on Monday's procedure.
Big Hugs,
Lolly
Old 03-06-2004, 05:30 AM   #4
Steph N.

Patty!
Bravo for a sterling performance. You deserve a standing ovation for that detailed report!
I have a friend who is a fabulous seamstress who had cyberknife procedure over a year ago for another type of brain tumor. She did not seem inclined to tak much about it. Just to say that she was scared to death (almost!) and that she had a good outcome.
She had her CK procedure at Northwest Hospital here in Seattle, where there are now a few of these machines in use around the metropolitan area.
Rest well for Monday - you now know exactly what to expect!
Smiles & blessings