HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #21
Lauriesh

Re: Finally - a Vaccine Trial for me!

Hi Debbie, as I mentioned earlier, I am also doing this trial, so I will be flying to Seattle four times.
I have found quite a bit of help with travel and lodging. Most is through the Amer. Cancer society. They provide one flight a calendar year, so 2 of my 4 flights will be free. They will also try to arrange free lodging. It is not guaranteed, as it depends on the city and time of year. but, if it is available, I can get free lodging all four trips. If I can't get lodging through them, there is an organization called Joe's house where you can get discounted hotels.
It didn't take too many phone calls/paperwork to get this help. After my first phone call to ACS, they e-mailed all of the possible resources, such as Angel Flights, Joe's house, etc. I hope no one decides against a trial because of expense, because there is a lot of help out there.

Laurie
Lauriesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #22
Jean

Steph,
Sending you prayers and the very wishes!
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #23
StephN

Ellie -

An allele is a tiny part of our DNA and there was a certain one being targeted by one of the "DNA" vaccine trials. The HL allele was the target and it needed to be number 2. My HLA was number 26 on my DNA. It was a very specific blood test that took a couple of weeks to come back from a special lab. The current trials are not targeting specific DNA.

The ANA stands for AntiNucleicAntibody. It is an indicator of autoimmune disease, and in some people it can be positive in one test and negative another time. Mine was always positive, due to "we know not what."

The FDA has removed that restriction from the current vaccine trial.

Our member here, Full of Beans, came from the UK for a vaccine trial. She can give you some answers as to how she managed the flights and lodging. Another member came from New Zealand early this year, you can find her info under the Clinical Trials forum.
Hope this helps.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #24
Ellie F

Thanks Steph for the explanation and advice.

My onc here has a lot of respect for the team at Seattle and was disappointed when I didn't qualify for an earlier trial due to prior use of herceptin. I also have a lot to thank them for! When I recurred my first onc stopped herceptin. However an onc there was reviewing my records for the trial and contacted me to tell me I MUST get herceptin back. I also got this advice from my sisters on the board.Needless to say I found a new oncologist!

Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #25
StephN

WOW, Ellie - I had forgotten that you were removed from Herceptin like that. The U of W Tumor Vaccine Group is deep into the study of anti-HER2 agents and are very aware of the POWER of Herceptin.

I believe a person can be taking Herceptin and paticipate in the current trials.

The 133 Vaccine trial is headed by Dr. Lupe Salazar and Dr. Disis.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #26
Joan M

I recently checked out a vaccine trial at Sloan-Kettering, which was a DNA vaccine, but decided not to participate. The trial is being run by Dr. Gilewski who spent a lot of time explaining this phase I trial. The primary endpoints are immune response and safety. She is enrolling only 12 patients, and the trial started a few years ago at a low dosage. Two patients per dosage. Three dosage levels. She wanted to recruit me for the highest dosage, which is the last stage of the trial.

Dr. Gilewski also informed me about vaccine trials at U of Wash, but I had already checked into them. The U of Wash trial I was interested in had just closed to recruitment, but a new trial had just opened. Steph, that you're in the new trial. U of Wash e-mailed me those trial papers.

In terms of vaccines, I feel that I haven't been NED long enough and don't want to rock the boat. So, Steph, I understand how you might feel, since you've been NED a long time. I really aspire to that status! I'm so concerned about upsetting the apple cart, that when I left Sloan-Kettering recently for another group in NYC, I asked that my blood be tested every 9 weeks, rather than every 3 weeks when I have my Herceptin treatment. The onc was fine with that. But I had to ask. I wanted nothing to change. That frequency had been set up almost 4 years ago with my local onc, meaning in the first facility I received chemo for both early stage and advanced bc.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!

Last edited by Joan M; 10-24-2011 at 12:10 PM..
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #27
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Smile Finally - a Vaccine Trial for me!

Dearest Steph, my Sister,

You've been through sooo much, and look at you now! You did it all with grace and courage, loving generosity, genuine caring and acts of kindness. You've become a wealth of knowledge and wisdom and -- we all love you.

I am right here, by your side. (Istopped Vitamin H in July 2008, as I KNOW you Know!) It is so great to be alive! I KNOW you Know this as well!! I say thank you for my life every single day.

Thank you so much for sharing!

May you remain joyful, full of Life, inspirited and serene...

Please keep us all posted on your grand success story.
Sending you my love, as always,

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #28
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

Hi Joan,

I was looking at your avatar.

You did Herceptin for 1 yr? Off label?

When did you start H again?

I was confused and wondering.

I was on H for 10 yrs.

I tried to PM you but I am told your inbox is full. (Same happened to me once, I had to spend a while deleting...) Oh dear.

The I tried to e you, but a message comes up that the address you have listed is unknown.

So here I am talking to you the old fashioned way.

ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 10-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #29
Joan M

Hi Andi,

It's great to see you on the board again, and a relief to know that you're still doing well. You look wonderful!!

I took Herceptin off-label when I was diagnosed with early stage bc in September 2003. Since I had 7 positive nodes, I didn't want to risk drawing the arm in the Herceptin trial that didn't get the drug, so I didn't enter the trial. But my local onc agreed to give it to me off-label along with my other chemo (AC and Taxol).

The cancer advanced to the lung in early 2007, recurred in the lung in 2008, and spread to the brain in 2008. I've been NED since the brain surgery and 5 dosages of targeted IMRT radiation to the tumor bed. I have been only on Herceptin every 3 weeks since the cancer first spread because I had local treatments which removed each nodule. Adjuvant courses of chemo were offered after each procedure as insurance, but I decided against them. Sometimes I regret that, but I guess that's water over the damn.

Thanks for the heads-up on my PM in-box being full. I have to empty it out. I have to change my e-mail address also, as the one listed is incorrect.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Old 10-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #30
Ellie F

Joan- I also looked into the trial with Dr Gilewski and my onc had numerous e-mail conversations with her. However I also decided against it, not quite sure why but it didn't feel right possibly due to the theoretical risk of contaminating my DNA with mouse DNA! Wouldn't want to grow whiskers and a tail, lol!
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #31
Andrea Barnett Budin

Finally - a Vaccine Trial for me!

Hey Joan!

Thanks for explaining. How great that your doc was willing to give H off label!

When I was orig dx (July '95) they weren't talking about HER2 gene. Then at my recurrence (Aug '98) it was in clinical trials and people were in desperate need of it. So the FDA fast-tracked H and it became available Sept. 28, 1998! I saw Herceptin as a blessing, though being dx w/a highly aggressive canser isn't exactly uplifting, for sure. I figured, at least they have something that stops that defective gene from overproducing!

I think each of us has at least one regret. I was told no radiation as I had a mastectomy/no breast tissue. But, it seems some had it even though... So in '98 I began second guessing.

Some of my oncs said since I had been orig ER borderline and put on Tamoxifen that that may have caused the metastasis, or -- being HER2+ (80% as they calculated back then) could have been the reason.

I keep looking forward. Told that what I had in '98 -- mets throughout my liver, too many to count -- was "incurable, inoperable, and that I would be on long term chemotherapy for the rest of my life.

I did 8 mnths of Taxotere, and w/a pleural effusion and peri-cardial effusion, water pouring out my eyes from the dryness, pain in every limb -- I just couldn't take 1 more treatment. To me, if I'd not been on my supplements (against most oncs' advice) during chemo, I wouldn't be here. They all helped keep my ejection fraction at 50 (down from 65%), kept my immune system fighting, fighting off free radicals, blah, blah.

And Herceptin (the "easy" chemo) became my long term chemotherapy.

After 10 yrs, I took the chance of going it alone, just me, my Spirit, and God.

My fav onc always says, if God-forbid I needed H, I can always return.

Steph is very brave moving forward w/the new vaccine. Now, I'm thinking...
Andi

Old 10-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #32
StephN

Hi Everyone - Thanks for all your good wishes for this trial.

This is NOT the 6-vaccine series where you get back your Adoptive T Cells. It is a 3 vaccine trial with no aphoresis.

I misspoke earlier when I said 20 participants - it is FORTY in this phase.

Here is the link which I thought I also posted earlier (gee):
http://depts.washington.edu/tumorvac...inical_133.php

You can all read about it and see that the Phase II will also be interesting as a second agent will be added to the Ampligen which I am getting. This means that the phase I am in is a dose determining phase for Ampligen. They already know the optimal amounts of the vaccine and the other immune boosting agent.

Stay tuned ... I am just trying to help research get to the next level here.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Old 10-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #33
Joan M

Ellie,

I had the same thoughts!

Overall, we've come a long way in HER2 treatments since Andi's original diagnosis in '95.

Joan

Last edited by Joan M; 10-24-2011 at 04:13 PM..
Old 10-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #34
Elizabethtx

Good luck Steph! Off you go blazing a trail. It to am beginning a vaccine trial in Tx this week. Not sure if it is the same one though. I'll post me details in a bit for all to see.
Elizabeth
3.2 cm 2/18 +lymph nodes
Stage 2b; E+/P+/Her2 +++
Nottingham score grade 2
Ki67 30%
3/2010 A/C 4 DD/2wks
5/2010 Herceptin/Taxotere 4D/3wks
8/2010 Herceptin until May 2011
Tamoxifin 20mg
9/2010 RAD 34 treatments
Pet scan Aug 2010 clear
Port removed July 2011
Bone scan, chest MRI 12/11 clear
Vaccine trial began Oct 2011

Elizabethtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #35
schoolteacher

You are my hero.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #36
krisvell

Steph;
That is great news. May this Vaccine keep you NED forever.
10/07/09 - Finished Chemo
10/27/09 - Mastectomy RB
Path Report: RB No residual tumor pCR,
2 of 15 pos - .5mm largest micromets
12/18/09 - Radiation started (28)
02/05/10 - Finished Radiation
01/11/10 - Started Femara
06/22/10 - Finished Herceptin.. My son's 22nd BD. Hope it's a sign! Hoping for the best.
11/15/10 - Started Walter Reed BC Vaccine trial at
1/04/11 - Sibley Mem. Had to withdraw due to met
01/23/11 - Stage IV - Brain Met 1.6cm 1.7cm
02/03/11 - Gamma Knife (2 fracts to minmize necrosis)
03/01/11 - Gamma Knife
6/11 - Necrosis
7/11 - Necrosis stopped & Tumor progression
8/11 = Now think it's really necrosis
9/11 - Avastin every two weeks -- It's working!! Necrosis is shrinking.
12/11 - Necrosis gone AVASTIN worked.
12/11 - Bone &CT found

Oct '10 - Ran Hartford 1/2 Marathon to Thank Dr. Slamon for Herceptin!
krisvell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #37
Debbie L.

As always, such an interesting discussion. I appreciate the learning -- both about the relative ease with which people have found support ($$) to help them access trials, and about the many different trials and the details of them. Where else (but on this forum) could we hear so much about cutting-edge research and those who are helping to move it forward?!

Thanks to all!

I will add that I returned on Sunday from a project LEAD workshop in Seattle, where I had the pleasure to hear Lupe Salazar speak. Nora Disis was faculty at my first Project LEAD program in 2003. NBCC's Project LEAD programs always have strong faculty. Are you interested? They now offer two LEAD (science of breast cancer for advocates) formats -- a 2.5 day "workshop" for people to get their feet wet, and a 5-day "institute" which is more intense and delves much deeper. There is an international version, too -- it's not just limited to the US. It is an excellent opportunity both to learn more about breast cancer, to explore advocate opportunities, and to network with lots of amazing and wonderful women. I was going to post something about this when I first got back, but the NBCC website does not have the 2012 LEAD program schedule posted yet so I decided to wait. However, at the mention of Lupe Salazar, Nora Disis, and UofW, I am too tempted to chime in. Here's the website link but if you're interested, wait a bit and check back so you can see if there's a class that fits your schedule.
http://www.breastcancerdeadline2020.org/learn/

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #38
StephN

Thanks for posting - I did not even know about the Project LEAD workshop held here. Dr. Salazar almost bubbles over with enthusiasm on the work they are doing here and how far they have come with the research.

One of these years maybe my life will calm down enough that I can do something like that. I was at my mother's that weekend and a few more days.

Paty attended the meeting in Mexico earlier this year. She will be at SABCS. Stop by our table in the exhibit hall if you get the chance. Assume you will go?

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Old 10-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #39
StephN

Elizabeth - tell us how it is going with your vaccine trial. Do you come to Seattle or go elsewhere?

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Old 10-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #40
CourtneyL

Just wanted to add my congrats to you on joining the trial as well, Steph. You continue to be a source of inspiration and hope to me and so many of us here. May the vaccine help keep you NED forever!

Jan 09-April 09: Brain mets. Add Tykerb. Watch and wait.
April 09: Gamma Knife 10 brain mets, add Xeloda.
Sept 09: Gamma Knife to 1 brain met.
Nov 09- April 10: Lung progression, add Gemzar to Herceptin, Zometa.
May 10- Sept 10: HER2 Vaccine Trial

Sept 10: Add Tykerb for more brain mets.
Oct 10: Gamma Knife to 7 brain mets.
Dec 10: Switch from Zometa to Denosumab.
Jan 11: Gamma Knife to 3 brain mets.
March 11: Gemzar/Herceptin for lung/bone progression.
April 11: More brain mets - Intrathecal Herceptin
June 11: Ixempra/Herceptin for lung, soft tissue progression.
Aug 11: Gamma Knife
Sep 11: Abraxane/Herceptin
Future: NED

Send me a PM if you'd like to follow my journey on Caringbridge.
CourtneyL is offline   Reply With Quote