HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-16-2004, 01:24 AM   #1
kelly

first i want to thank you all for being so nice and answering all my questions. you are all so supportive. my mom has mets to brain and liver. on navelbine and gemzar. she is only 52 yrs old. but i luv all of you on this site and wish you all the best! heres my silly question: ive hrd that sugar feeds cancer, so what kinds of things do you all drink? i know she shld drink plenty of fluids, but things without sugar? like what? most things i can think of have sugar added ?
Old 01-16-2004, 01:52 AM   #2
eleanor

Kelly,
no question is silly.
I'm not sure if I'm totally right on this, but how I understand it is that abnormal cells (ie: cancer) use more sugar than normal cells. That's the basis in a PET scan (they inject you with glucose). I'm not sure if avoiding sugar would make a difference. But in terms of what I drink - lots of water and I just can't seem to give up Coke. I drink some fruit juices and lots of unsweetened tea. None of this is for medical reasons, just my personal preference. I have given up trying to second guess what i should eat or drink. Life is just too short.
el
Old 01-16-2004, 12:25 PM   #3
Lyn

I'm with you there, doing this since 1998 I think the cancer cells change their minds as well on what they like to feed on. I have been craving Ginger Beer for months now and I am definately not pregnant, but I am enjoying it and my excuse is that ginger is good for you and I must be lacking something. My sisters, eat cream buns and donuts, tons of coke and anything else sweet and little me who has always watched what I put in my mouth drew the short straw, then I think there would be no way my sisters could survive this disease they would have given up if they had been in my shoes. I drink tea without sugar but with milk used to be a 2 heaped spoon girl but if I get sugar by mistake I automatically spit it out. As for coffee I use to drink a moderate amount but only enjoy a Cappuciano now and that is not often because I usually get the bitter coffee under all that lovely foam and sugar. Hope this helps.

Love & Hugs Lyn