HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Laurie7

Searching for new direction

Hi I am stage 4 and I am looking to go a more natural route with my treatment..Anyone stage 4 ever consider or try alternative medicine with their chemotherapy. If so what are the results?

*2006..Dx w Stage1 DCIS age32 Had lft breast mastectomy
-4 cycles A/C 12wks..4 cycles Taxol/Herceptin 12 wks (herceptin 1yr total)
*2007..prophylactic rt breast mastectomy
*May2011..was told I was CURED & within 2 days was reDX w stageIV mets to my liver,lungs,&bone
-6wks Herceptin(little progression to liver)
-started clinical trial on July 19th T-DM1....Hopeful!
Laurie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
'lizbeth

Re: Searching for new direction

I had acupuncture every week during treatment. It was a fortunate luxury that helped rid me of that overall achiness from chemotherapy. And eliminated the worst pain I'd ever felt in my life after an infection. It can help with many, many issues. don't like needles, try acupressure.

The best "alternatives" that I have discovered are moderate exercise, a diet full of healthy pesticide-free fruits & vegetables and whole grains, generous amount of water (I prefer Penta which is filtered 11 times). As a stage IV survivor, I would work hard to eliminate sugar from your diet, and avoid alcohol. Most of the stage IV stories of success I've come across is from juicing. I don't know what policy the clinical trial folks have on supplements, so I would ask before adding anything new. My oncologist recommended that I take Vitamin D.

A positive determined attitude and meditation is helpful. Resolve any feelings of resentment.

My friend, who has stage IV ovarian cancer is doing all sorts of interesting alternatives. Her doctor is Juergan Wrinkler in Carlsbad, Ca. Here is information on his intergrated approach:

http://www.qfmed.com/doctor/dr-juergen-winkler/

I think the T-DM1 clinical trial was a great idea, I'm hoping it gets you back to a permanent NED.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Mandamoo

I think that Stage 4 success stories are so varied it shows how individual we all are in how we respond to all kinds of treatments. I have supported my treatments with various complementary therapies including Accupuncture, Reiki, massage, Traditional Chinese meditation. I have learned to meditate and it helps me enormously. I exercise as much as I can. I attend a stage 4 support group and regularly attend a Foundation for people with Cancer that has a integrated approach. I have also modified my diet but I am not as strict as I used to be and I allow myself to LIVE but focus on eating to maximise nutrition.
I know some Stage 4 success stories personally - they have all done different things but they have all been open to alternatives. Some were offered no traditional/ western treatment and have gone into remission - diet and meditation being key to their stories.
I would suggest reading widely, being open, seeking advice from respected professionals and then making a decision and going with it.
Good Luck.
Mandamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:25 AM   #4
Laurie7

I am wondering detoxing/cleansing the body before during or after chemotherapy and also adding supplements, IV treatments, coffee enemas, etc..

*May2011..was told I was CURED & within 2 days was reDX w stageIV mets to my liver,lungs,&bone
Old 07-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
karen z

Laurie7.
Please check with your oncologist about possible new directions before you try.
Best wishes,
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
Laurie7

Thanks everyone for their opinions. KarenZ I will definitely talk with my onc first the trouble is when I ask her about supplements alone she tells me not to take them because they don't know if it affects the chemo at all but the I hear/read stories about so many others in supplements and doing great. I am at the point in my journey where I still feel strong(physically) and feel my body needs more attention other than dousing it with toxins...I know it's only gonna get worse if I don't do something about it now..

Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
karen z

Hi Laurie,
I would do research on supplements/practices you want to try and then present a list to your oncologist. You will likely find that your oncologist will approve some (perhaps massage therapy, guided imagery, mindfulness training, eating in a certain way) but not others........that could hurt you or (at the very least) not help you. I think that you want to be very specific about your list and I am guessing that will help.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
ElaineM

Wink Re: Searching for new direction

See if you can find a good detician and/or a naturopathic physician to guide you if you want to try integrative medicine (conventional plus alternative). There are some M.D.s who also practice integrative medicine now a days. Contact your local medical board or the nearest medical school to find one.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote