HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #21
Vicky

Re: TDM-1 side effects

Hi everyone-

Yes Laurie, I too have had the feeling of an elephant sitting on my chest the first few days after TDM1 treatment, as well as thickening feeling in my throat for a few days. I just completed round 7 and I have an achy-flu-like feeling the first few days, drippy nose/nosebleed, dry mouth and break through nausea on occasion.

But it continues to keep me stable! I had a mastectomy last Friday, came home Saturday and was fit for chemo with TDM1 by Tuesday. Pretty amazing I would say. I continue to feel well two out of the three weeks after I have completed chemo. I truly feel fortunate to be on the trial and continuing on with TDM1, but definitely need to ask my ONC about the BBB and TDM1's ability to cross it.
6-14-11 CT scan after 3 cycles shows NO liver spots, reduced spinal met from 18mm to 13mm and right breast mass from 4.4 to 4.2 cm.
8-12-11 Mastectomy rt. breast.
10-11 scans reflect stable cancer
12-11 MRI reveals area of concern in brain, CT scan reveals 3mm spot on lung. Watch and wait and rescan in a few weeks. Round 13 TDM1 complete.
2-21-12 Scans reveal progression in lungs with 4 new small mets. Officially off tdm1. Start halaven and radiation for single brain met, 1 spot in spine.
3-13 stereotactic radiosurgery for single brain met.
5-31-12 Halaven stopped due to low blood counts. Start tamoxifen and cont. Herceptin 1x3 weeks.
7-11-12- brain mri shows shrinking brain met and no new lesions. Cont. Herceptin and Tamoxifen
10-2-12 Stable tumor markers. Continue Herceptin and Tamoxifen
4-9-13 progression in lymph node under arm and new lung spots. Stop Tamoxifen. Add Xeloda to Herceptin.
6-10-13 Stereotactic radiosurgery to two new brain mets. Stop Xeloda due to lung mets progression. begin Tykerb 7-2-13.
10-29-13 Begin radiation to my lungs and one lymph node under my arm. Stop Tykerb until completion and then recommence.
1-31-14 Progression in lungs. Oophorectomy performed.
2-18-14 Begin Arimidex and continue Herceptin
7-7-15 progression with spots on colon, in pelvic region, and in lungs. Begin Taxotere, Perjeta and Herceptin.
11-15 Switch to weekly Taxol, and continue with Perjeta and Herceptin.
12-23-16 PET scan shows Complete Response with no new spots. Continue on with TPH indefinitely.
3-16-16 Still no evidence of disease, break from Taxol. Continue on with Perjeta and Herceptin.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #22
hutchibk

I have crazy dry mouth from TDM1, too. And mild nose bleed in the first 3-4 days after a treatment. But that's really about it. I just had treatment #8 and the fatigue and lite fluey feeling has really dissipated for me to really not having any at all.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 08-22-2011 at 07:21 PM..
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #23
Laurie7

Hi again...
All my symptoms are pretty mild, and from the way it sounds pretty normal, but the heavy chest feeling bothers me a bit...Vicky, did you mention it to your onc? If so, what did they say? My onc did a CT after the first treatment and everything came back normal, then it happened again with 2nd treatment...Just wondering if its a common side affect...

Laurie

*2006..Dx w Stage1 DCIS age32 Had lft breast mastectomy
-4 cycles A/C 12wks..4 cycles Taxol/Herceptin 12 wks (herceptin 1yr total)
*2007..prophylactic rt breast mastectomy
*May2011..was told I was CURED & within 2 days was reDX w stageIV mets to my liver,lungs,&bone
-6wks Herceptin(little progression to liver)
-started clinical trial on July 19th T-DM1....Hopeful!
Laurie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #24
hutchibk

A heavy chest feeling should not be taken lightly. Mention to your Onc at once and possibly a cardiologist... Herceptin is known to cause debilitation of the LVEF (the ejection fracture of the left ventricle muscle of the heart) and in older patients can cause congestive heart disease. I'm not saying what you are feeling is even that or is that serious (that's for your Onc to determine), but it could be a by-product of the Herceptin part of TDM1 taking a hit on your LVEF... and in younger patients, it can be reversible.

I haven't had the heavy chest at all, but I did have my LVEF fall below 50% on ECHO just before I was scheduled to start TDM1. In three weeks, I was able to strengthen the left ventricle with the help of a cardiologist and my naturopath. I diligently walk or exercise 30 min per day every day (strengthens the muscle), I take Lisinopril (Rxed by cardiologist), and I take CoQ10 and fish oil. (along w/ my other vitamins/supplements).

Just please be sure you tell you Onc and see what they say! A CT won't show it, it requires a MUGA or ECHO to determine the functioning of your LVEF.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 08-22-2011 at 10:01 PM..
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #25
Laurie7

Thanks Brenda for your reply...thats exactly what I was thinkin..I will mention it to her when I go next time...

Laurie

*May2011..was told I was CURED & within 2 days was reDX w stageIV mets to my liver,lungs,&bone
Old 08-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #26
Vicky

Laurie,

I've only had the heavy chest feeling a few times, and it doesn't last for long. Echoes have been part of my study and they are frequent, every couple of cycles and they haven't shown anything. But yes, definitely worth mentioning to your Onc!
6-14-11 CT scan after 3 cycles shows NO liver spots, reduced spinal met from 18mm to 13mm and right breast mass from 4.4 to 4.2 cm.
8-12-11 Mastectomy rt. breast.
10-11 scans reflect stable cancer
12-11 MRI reveals area of concern in brain, CT scan reveals 3mm spot on lung. Watch and wait and rescan in a few weeks. Round 13 TDM1 complete.
2-21-12 Scans reveal progression in lungs with 4 new small mets. Officially off tdm1. Start halaven and radiation for single brain met, 1 spot in spine.
3-13 stereotactic radiosurgery for single brain met.
5-31-12 Halaven stopped due to low blood counts. Start tamoxifen and cont. Herceptin 1x3 weeks.
7-11-12- brain mri shows shrinking brain met and no new lesions. Cont. Herceptin and Tamoxifen
10-2-12 Stable tumor markers. Continue Herceptin and Tamoxifen
4-9-13 progression in lymph node under arm and new lung spots. Stop Tamoxifen. Add Xeloda to Herceptin.
6-10-13 Stereotactic radiosurgery to two new brain mets. Stop Xeloda due to lung mets progression. begin Tykerb 7-2-13.
10-29-13 Begin radiation to my lungs and one lymph node under my arm. Stop Tykerb until completion and then recommence.
1-31-14 Progression in lungs. Oophorectomy performed.
2-18-14 Begin Arimidex and continue Herceptin
7-7-15 progression with spots on colon, in pelvic region, and in lungs. Begin Taxotere, Perjeta and Herceptin.
11-15 Switch to weekly Taxol, and continue with Perjeta and Herceptin.
12-23-16 PET scan shows Complete Response with no new spots. Continue on with TPH indefinitely.
3-16-16 Still no evidence of disease, break from Taxol. Continue on with Perjeta and Herceptin.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #27
Laurie7

Thanks Vicki

Old 12-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #28
waterdreamer

There was a small metastasis to the brain, which was radiated at UCLA using the Novalis, which is more advanced than Gamma Knife surgery. See this link for more info http://neurosurgery.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=408 Three months later and over 10 TDM-1 treatments, my brain MRI is clear, and the rib seems to be healing, while the T2 remains stable. The T2 could also be permanent bone damage. I take potassium/magnesium supplement every night for my heart, and I have not had any more cramping. I am taking the Now liver detoxifier and regenerator, and I believe that too is helping.
Wishing everyone a very happy New Year, with lots of good news on the health front.
Nov 2009 Mets to lungs and bones.
Dec 2009 Start Taxotere and Herceptin, T1, T3 heal completely and lungs are clear, T2 and first rib have lytic lesions. First rib becomes sclerotic. Considered stable.
May 2011, Onc calls progression and I cross over from comparison arm of clinical trial to TDM-1
Brain scan in Sept 2011 showed small tumor in right cerebellum, did Novalis radiation.

Feb 2013 < 1cm tumor in left frontal lobe. Did Novalis in March and latest scan shows no sign of brain metastasis.
Aug 2013 did 36th round of TDM-1 Due to TDM-1 side effects, shortness of breath, and difficulty getting my balance when getting out of bed, agreed with my oncologist to stop TDM-1.
Took a six week break, bone scan showed small uptake on left first rib. CT showed hypodensities in liver (too small to biopsy) and small nodule in lungs (mediastinal).
Started Navelbine weekly. Did one round with Herceptin.
Skipped next 2 rounds, due to neutropenia. Next chemo 7th Nov - have had 3 Neupogen shots, so WBC should look better... Did not tolerate Navelbine well.
December 2013 scans show no sign of active cancer.
March 2014 - currently only on Herceptin - brain MRI clear, PET/CT two nodules in right lung show uptake
May 2014 - stop Herceptin.
Sept 22, 2014 Brain MRI clear :) PET/CT Progression in lungs.
Sept 2014, Xeloda, Tykerb and Herceptin.
Nov 2014 - Decide to take a break from all treatment.
May 2015 - Brain met radiated with Novalis
July 2015 - Have progression in right lung.
Sept 2015 - Perjeta and Herceptin alone after a 9 month break from all treatment.
Nov 2015 - Thoracentesis 1500ml removed from right lung.
Dec 2015 - Two tiny 1mm brain mets radiated in right cerebellum.
Feb 2016 - Thoracentesis 2200ml drained from right lung
Feb 2016 - Stopped Perjeta and Herceptin and started back on Kadcyla as I had no previous progression on it. After 1 cycle of Kadcyla markers begin to drop. On second cycle add Keytruda.
March 2016 - Thoracentesis 1650ml drained from right lung.
April 2016 – Thoracentesis 1500 ml drained from right lung.
June 2016 – CT scan shows progression in right lung, as well as moderate pleural effusion requiring Thoracentesis.
June 2016 – Decide to stop Keytruda, and will do chemosensitivity test through Rational Therapeutics. Plan to continue on Kadcyla for next two cycles.
July 2016 - Start weekly Abraxane with Herceptin. WBRT with hippocampal sparing, Taking Namenda. 15 sessions over 3 weeks.
Aug - Dec 2016 - 2 infusions of Navelbine, very hard on my body and still dealing with anasarca (generalized edema) 1 infusion of Havalen
My doctor wants to put me on hospice.
Dec 23rd 2016 - I am granted compassionate use of Neratanib.
May 31st 2017 - still on Neratinib, feeling good.
waterdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #29
waterdreamer

I have now completed my first year on TDM-1. My side affects are nausea the day after, and elevated liver enzymes and lowered platelets. I take potassium/magnesium supplements and I have had no further muscle cramping.
I sometimes have headaches, but that may be related to periods, or onset of menopause.
Lately my hips are hurting a little, but it may be unrelated to the TDM-1 or cancer.
I did have a brain metastasis, which has now been clear for 6 months, I am due for a nine month scan in June.
I also get a drippy nose, especially during and after exercise.

Looking forward to TDM-1's approval. Please post on side affects. And solutions that have helped with side affects.
Thanks
Dec 2009 Start Taxotere and Herceptin, T1, T3 heal completely and lungs are clear, T2 and first rib have lytic lesions. First rib becomes sclerotic. Considered stable.
May 2011, Onc calls progression and I cross over from comparison arm of clinical trial to TDM-1
Brain scan in Sept 2011 showed small tumor in right cerebellum, did Novalis radiation.

Feb 2013 < 1cm tumor in left frontal lobe. Did Novalis in March and latest scan shows no sign of brain metastasis.
Aug 2013 did 36th round of TDM-1 Due to TDM-1 side effects, shortness of breath, and difficulty getting my balance when getting out of bed, agreed with my oncologist to stop TDM-1.
Took a six week break, bone scan showed small uptake on left first rib. CT showed hypodensities in liver (too small to biopsy) and small nodule in lungs (mediastinal).
Skipped next 2 rounds, due to neutropenia. Next chemo 7th Nov - have had 3 Neupogen shots, so WBC should look better... Did not tolerate Navelbine well.
March 2014 - currently only on Herceptin - brain MRI clear, PET/CT two nodules in right lung show uptake
Sept 2015 - Perjeta and Herceptin alone after a 9 month break from all treatment.
Feb 2016 - Stopped Perjeta and Herceptin and started back on Kadcyla as I had no previous progression on it. After 1 cycle of Kadcyla markers begin to drop. On second cycle add Keytruda.
June 2016 – CT scan shows progression in right lung, as well as moderate pleural effusion requiring Thoracentesis.
June 2016 – Decide to stop Keytruda, and will do chemosensitivity test through Rational Therapeutics. Plan to continue on Kadcyla for next two cycles.
July 2016 - Start weekly Abraxane with Herceptin. WBRT with hippocampal sparing, Taking Namenda. 15 sessions over 3 weeks.
Aug - Dec 2016 - 2 infusions of Navelbine, very hard on my body and still dealing with anasarca (generalized edema) 1 infusion of Havalen
Old 05-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #30
Unregistered

Praying for great results for you on your next scans! I have been on T-DM1 for 10 months...so far things are staying stable ) Nose bleeds is pretty much the only side effect I have..of course besides the elevated liver enzymes and low platelets..They lowered my dose again because of the elevated liver enzymes...(I think this is the last time they can lower it) so hopin and praying it keeps working! with the first 3-4 cyles I was experiencing a very heavy chest feeling...thankfully that does not happen anymore going for my 6 week scans this Friday..fingers crossed! XX
Old 07-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #31
Unregistered

Hello All.
I have been on TDM-1 for 1 1/2 years (every 3 weeks). My oncologist told me at our last visit that it should be on the market by the end of this year. I am wondering if anybody has had bleeding from the mouth/gums as a side-effect? If so, what have you done to counteract it? Thanks very much.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #32
waterdreamer

Hi Unregisted guest,

I do get bleeding from my gums but it is usually soon after treatment and is very minimal. I believe that anything we do to improve our platelet count will help with bleeding issues. These are the things that are supposed to improve platelet count:
Papaya Leaf infused in hot water and drunk as a tea. Shark Liver Oil, Melatonin (if I start feeling drowsy during the day, I stop taking this) I also take chlorophyl 1 - 2tblsp in plain water every day, as this is good for the blood. I have also started taking lithium orotate at the same time as eating crushed flaxseed, to improve platelet production. Also, my diet contains lots of green leafy vegetables. No added sugars. I too have been on TDM-1 for more than a year, and it would be really interesting to talk with you further, please email me at fernsiman@gmail.com There are many ladies on this board who would appreciate you registering, as I am sure there is a lot you could contribute to the discussions.
Best wishes
Fern

Old 07-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #33
KDR

I, like Fern, might experience some pinkish saliva in my mouth after brushing teeth or flossing. Lots of cold water helps. Also try to keep your nasal passages moist as bloody noses are a known side effect.
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #34
Lori R

Hi ,
I am bumping this string up for Nancy L, who was questioningTDM-1 side effects and their timing.

There is a good news story, so keep reading.

I had my first treatment of Taxol + TDM-1 4 weeks ago. I felt fine driving home Friday evening and even ran some errands on Saturday. WOW....livin large. Curled up on the couch Saturday evening where in the span of an hour I had severe chills, and energy dropped to 10% normal. It was all I could do to get to my bedroom. Slept in clothes that night.

Sunday felt horrible with flu symptoms, nausea, headache. SOOOO afraid this was going to last for days. At 4 p.m on Sunday the clouds began to part.

Lesson learned.
I didn't drink NEAR enough water...Hydration is key to feeling better. I can tell immediately after a big drink.
I didn't have anti-nausea meds on hand. (never needed them with) NOT smart. No I have the meds.

2nd TDM-1 Dr. prescribed a hit of steroid. I REALLY don't want to take unnecessary drugs, so I cut the dose in half. The weekend was OK!! Drank and drank (water that is), took antinausea meds and had PJs on at 6 p.m on Saturday evening.

I was able to be out and about both days. YEA!!! Celebrate. The Onc. said that some people experience a "violent" reaction (I am pretty sure my words not his), and that the reaction reduces with each progressive treatment.

Runny, slightly bloody nose
Fatigue

I hope these insights help.

It would be GREAT if you had someone drive you. I drive myself, as I am hanging onto my independence with every bit of strength I have. I hope it doesn't prove to be stupid.

Please keep us posted on your experience!! Lori
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #35
waterdreamer

I have now done 22 rounds of TDM-1. I was having a heavy chest feeling and shortness of breath. So I took a 5 week break from TDM-1. My CT showed signs of alveolitis and inflammation of the lungs. My doctor did a dose reduction and my lungs have felt slightly better this last round, but I still have bouts of experiencing shortness of breath. My latest bloodwork showed lowered WBC, platelets at 91 and the usual elevated ALT and AST. I did go to a cardiologist and he said my heart is perfect. So the chest pain is lung related in my case and not heart related. So far all is good, and I will update again.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #36
michka

Thank you Fern for sharing. I had started a thread asking if anybody had chest pain and breathing problems with TDM1 and knew the reasons. 2 or 3 persons reported chest pain and one lung inflammation. I still have the same problem and my heart is fine. One Dr even told me to take a tranquilizer. Did you ever feel like punching a Dr in the nose? Well I did. :-) . ...but I just didn't answer because he is a nice man...(and I don't "punch").
I will have the onc really look at my next scans to be sure there is no lung inflammation. I had a first indication through Barbara H who reported she had to stop and now through your post. I ergo know what to watch. I only had 8 rounds and hope I can continue a long time.
Otherwise my side effects are nausea the first week, fatigue, neuropathy that wakes up at each cycle (induced by Taxol), spots and big pimples on my face the second week, very very dry eyes nose and mouth. Some rounds are better (or worse) then others without being able to know why. I am less fatigued than in the first cycles. I also had pains during my first rounds but not anymore. The very big fatigue and the pains in the beginning maybe came from the destruction of cancer cells or it is just my body that adjusted. But I prefer the first explanation!
Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #37
Mandamoo

Just to add to the info:
I had my first dose today - tonight I am simply feeling a little lethargic and have no real appetite. I slept for a couple of hours this afternoon. We'll see how the next few days go.
22 February 2011 - Diagnosed Early Breast Cancer IDBC Stage2b (ER/PR -ve, Her2+ve +++) - 38 years old
(L) skin sparing mastectomy with tissue expander, axilla clearance (2/14 affected) clear margins.
Fec*3, Taxotere and herceptin*2 - stopped due to secondary diagnosis

June 24 2011 Stage IV - Skin met, axilla node, multiple lung lesions

Bolero3 trial - Navelbine, Hereptin weekly, daily Everolimus/Placebo
February 2012 - July 2012 Tykerb and Xeloda - skin mets resolved, Lungs initially dramatically reduced but growing again
August 2012 (turn 40!) tykerb and herceptin (denied compassionate use of TDM1) while holidaying in Italy!
September 2012 - January 2013 TDM1 as part of the Th3resa trial - lymph nodes resolved, lungs slowly progressing.
January 2013 - herceptin, carboplatin and Perjeta (compassionate access)
April 2013 - Some progression in lungs and lymph nodes - Abraxane, Herceptin and Perjeta
July 2013 - mixed response - dramatic reduction of most lung disease, progression of smaller lung nodules and cervical and hilar nodes - ? Add avastin.
Mandamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #38
MikeF

Barb had her second treatment Tuesday after an uneventful first on the 28th of Aug. She did feel some pain in the tumor site in her left breast but felt like it was more in her shoulder. Now after the second treatment she has developed a cough and felt achy all over Wednesday. Its so hard to know what is treatment related and what may simply be a bug. We had our two grandsons over Tuesday night only to find out yesterday that the oldest had to leave school yesterday and threw up when he got home. Just what Barb needs right? She said she felt OK this morning but didnt get a good nights rest. Personally I think theres a war going on at the tumor site in her breast and those little TDM-1 boogers are kicking some cancer A_ _.
Radiation to spine
10/23/10StartNavelbine
11/19/10 Port installed
11/22/10 Started 2nd cycle
1/10/11 Finished 2nd cycle
1/24/11 Herceptin Only
3/7/11 progression, start Taxol/Herceptin
4/18/11 Skin mets appear increase treatments to weekly
rash spreads to right breast
7/5/11 enroll in TDM-1 study
7/29/11 randomly assigned Tykerb drop out of trial and start Tykerb /Herceptin no Xeloda skin mets gone Tykerb working
1/31/12 Skin mets return add Xeloda
5/9/12 Stop Tykerb skin mets back
5/17/12 Return to Navelbine/Herceptin
6/26/12 start process for TDM-1 compassionate access
8/28/12 Start TDM-1
10/9/12 third TDM-1 no response yet
10/23/12 Start Haloven
1/17/12 Start Perjeta/ Herceptin/Taxotere
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #39
Pray

Please God let tdm1 be thee one for all of these wonderful women! Amen!
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #40
MikeF

Came home from work to find Barb running a high grade fever 103.5 and her heart rate is 110 called her doctor. I dont think this is normal side effect probably the bug our grandson brought over Tuesday night.
Radiation to spine
10/23/10StartNavelbine
11/19/10 Port installed
11/22/10 Started 2nd cycle
1/10/11 Finished 2nd cycle
1/24/11 Herceptin Only
3/7/11 progression, start Taxol/Herceptin
4/18/11 Skin mets appear increase treatments to weekly
rash spreads to right breast
7/5/11 enroll in TDM-1 study
7/29/11 randomly assigned Tykerb drop out of trial and start Tykerb /Herceptin no Xeloda skin mets gone Tykerb working
1/31/12 Skin mets return add Xeloda
5/9/12 Stop Tykerb skin mets back
5/17/12 Return to Navelbine/Herceptin
6/26/12 start process for TDM-1 compassionate access
8/28/12 Start TDM-1
10/9/12 third TDM-1 no response yet
10/23/12 Start Haloven
1/17/12 Start Perjeta/ Herceptin/Taxotere
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote