HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
KsGal

I couldn't make this up if I tried

So I had a doctors appointment this morning. When I went in, he asked me about any symptoms I had been having, I told him about the pain I had been having in my muscles and joints that is so bad it keeps me from sleeping, etc. I also mentioned that I belonged to a website of all HER2 patients, and on the site they suggested to me that it might be the preservative in the Herceptin, and I would like to try it without the preservative in it.
He then proceeded to tell me there was no preservative in the Herceptin. When I insisted, he called over to the chemotherapy area to try to verify it. When he got the person on the phone, he told them some "people have been telling her some crap on the internet". After a few minutes on the phone, he got off and told me that the preservative was premixed in the Herceptin, and it was alcohol and wouldn't hurt me any more than taking a shot of whiskey. He said that could not possibly be what was causing me to hurt, and said I had chemotherapy induced fibromyalgia, and I needed to do YOGA.
Sooooo...feeling rather frustrated, I, of course, came home and did some research, and find that the benzyl alcohol is, indeed, in the bag shipped with the Herceptin that is mixed at the time it is given to a patient, and if the patient has a sensitivity to benzyl alcohol the herceptin may be mixed with sterile water.
Also, I asked if I might have a brain scan. After what happened with NEDenise, I wanted to take her advice and get it done sooner rather than later. He told me I could have one when/if I displayed neurologic symptoms.
Although this man is very well known and supposedly brilliant and the president of the cancer center, yadda yadda, I know after this I need to switch doctors. Im truly offended that my suggestions were not taken seriously. My question is, do I need the doctor to tell the person who mixes my Herceptin to mix it without the benzyl alcohol, or can I just request it myself when I go for my next round of Herceptin? I won't see a doctor again before my next round.
December 2012 was diagnosed with five brain mets, and had whole brain radiation.
Around July 2014 two mets in brain, one a residual spot and one new one growing in size. Received Cyberknife on both areas
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
KsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
Ellie F

Re: I couldn't make this up if I tried

Really understand your frustration! When I was early stage I had herceptin at home. The nurse came with the vial of herceptin, mixed if with sterile water and then put in in a bag of saline solution for infusion. Great,no probs! Then I had to start getting it at the onc centre. There it's mixed in pharmacy with preservative added so it's good for the next patient. So sometimes if I have first dose I'm great if not have terrible joint pain and depression for about a week!
I am trying to go the same route as you but getting nowhere. The excuse is that it's pot luck which one you get depending on the day!
If you can change anything for the better for yourself forge ahead!
Best wishes
Ellie (England )
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
Lien

What a jerk! Ofcourse there's a lot of crap going around the internet, but that doesn't mean that everything we get from the internet is crap. And he could at least investigate, couldn't he?

Anyway, I'm allergic to benzyl alcohol. Perhaps you could get that confirmed by doing a simple allergy test. If that is positive, you have proof that you shouldn't be getting it in your IV's. The test involves getting a small scratch on your skin, usually on your back, adding a tiny bit of the offensive substance and waiting for 48 hours to see if a reaction shows up.

If you notice improvement with your next Herceptin infusion, you have double proof. However, not all reactions show up on an allergy test so you might face more problems if that happens. Just leaving the benzyl alcohol out of the mix would be the best way of testing for sensitivity.

Are the symptoms worse at first and do they subside after a while? Could there be other sources of benzyl alcohol, eg. in dental fillings, cosmetics etc that might increase your problems? That would be worth looking into as well.
Hugs

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
michka

I can imagine how you feel. That happened to me. I changed onc.
I don't know about preservatives in herceptin but my opinion is that as a stage 4 you should have a brain MRI.
Can you find another onc? Does someone on this forum live in your area? Stay strong. Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
Sheila

First of all you deserve to be treated with respect, and not blown off......I would go to the nurse or pharmacy and ask that the powdered Herceptin be reconstituted with bacteria static water then placed in a bag of IV solution with NO alcohol....also, see what is in the flushes they give you in your port like heparin and the flush of nacl or whatever they are using as these too can contain alcohol.....they contain something because I can taste it when they inject it. As far as the MRI....some insurances fight paying as they are expensive, which in turn makes Drs reluctant to order.......so do what I do, fake a headache that won't go away with a hint of dizziness or a touch of blurred vision..you will get your MRI...and the insurance will pay...we as women are accused of "faking it" all the time.so we might as well take advantage of it...third, look for a new oncologist,
This guy sounds like a pr_ _ _......and the word ISN'T prince!!!!
Good Luck!!!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin

Last edited by Sheila; 08-22-2012 at 08:52 AM..
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
NEDenise

I couldn't agree more with the brilliance that has been expressed so far by our sisters on this thread! As usual, Sheila has summed it up beautifully...and in a colorful manner!

When it comes to navigating all this nonsense...Sheila's on the inside track...she's a nurse...she knows what they need to hear...so we get what we need. Plus...she's one gutsy gal, and can spot a Prince of a Pr_ _ _ at 50 paces!

You keep pushing till you get what you need...feel better...and have your well-deserve peace of mind! You're important to us!!
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
hutchibk

EXACTLY, Sheila. Cuss words and all. Herceptin mixed with water, call Genentech if you have to... YOU ask, screw the current doc, can't wait for you to get that new one! And a brain MRI. Since you are about a year out from dx, insurance should pay... especially if you tell them you have a headache that does not go away w/ pain relief (a key).

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Deb33

My end of treatment included a PET Scan, Brain MRI and the usual blood work. But the headache is a good idea too.
2/23/11 Began TCH protocol every 21 days 6x
5/23/11 Ultrasound of originally diseased lymph node shows normal
7/25/11 Lymph node dissection - 8 of 14 show disease
7/29/11 Double mastectomy with reconstruction (expanders)
8/29/11 Begin follow up chemo - Adriamycin 4 treatments every 2 weeks and Xeloda. Self inject Nupogen shots
1/6/12 6 weeks of Radiation finished
2/13/12 Last Herceptin/remove port
3/27/12 PET/Brain Scan NED :)
8/15/12 Final reconstruction - hello nipples, good bye expanders
9/14/12 Rejected implant/infection. Implant removed
5/6/13 Latissumis Dorsi surgery left side with expander

PS - my photo was taken 5 days after my double mastectomy surgery and 6 weeks after my TCH was completed
Deb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
BonnieR

Whether on not what you were presenting to him was valid, I am struck by his dismissive and arrogant attitude. He should not have spoken about you that way. But I have heard similar tirades from doctors who are apparently threatened by patients who advocate for themselves and do their own research.
In a different vein("vein" Ha!) when I first had cancer and my anxiety and BP were through the roof, my new GP told me to "Put your worries in a boat and float them down the river". I told him I would rather get some Ativan and also some BP meds! And I got another doctor.
keep the faith

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
Laurel

Gosh, may I just say how proud I am to be a member of this loyal, smart, & feisty bunch of amazing survivors! You guys rock! And, Sheila, you absolutely made me laugh out loud! The protracted headache fabrication will definitely earn you an MRI, and heck you deserve to have the peace of mind you need to go forging forward in this game of surviving.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:04 AM   #11
KsGal

LOL Bonnie! Put your worries in a boat, huh? That's funny. I felt about like that when my doctor told me I needed to do yoga, not that I am downplaying the benefits of yoga, Im just saying. I had just told him my pain was so bad I was about to quit my job. By the way, he told me the economy was so bad and jobs so scarce, I shouldn't quit my job until I found another one (thanks, Dad!).
I just want to say thank you all so much. Without you all listening to me vent and giving me advice, I don't know how I would get through this life with stage IV. Im going to see if I can get switched over to another oncologist in the same group/clinic. In the meantime, Im practicing my "I've got a headache" face.
December 2012 was diagnosed with five brain mets, and had whole brain radiation.
Around July 2014 two mets in brain, one a residual spot and one new one growing in size. Received Cyberknife on both areas
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
KsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #12
sarah

It makes me livid when I hear about cancer patients who can't discuss things with their oncologist! As a member of a local support group I always tell new members, if you can't talk to your onc, get another one or at least another opinion. At our hospital we have an onc/radiologist who's like that and the nurses and other doctors say how great he is so I say go to him for radiology but get an onc you can talk to, same goes for a GP. Sheila, love your idea. Luckily here in France so far we can just ask for it - they know it's an area of concern for HER2 patients.
I'd also suggest you take a patient advocate with you who can ask the doctor (nicely!!!) to do more and do his job which is get your better and make sure you feel confident about your treatment.
hugs and love
be strong and tough and fight for your treatment, these ladies and gentlemen on this site know their stuff!
sarah
Old 08-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
michka

"also, see what is in the flushes they give you in your port like heparin and the flush of nacl or whatever they are using as these too can contain alcohol.....they contain something because I can taste it when they inject it"

Sheila, thank you for reporting this. I have a bad taste in my mouth as soon as they flush the port. They always told me it was not possible because it is only NACL and it was just in my head. They told me to think of something else. Of course I knew it was not just in my head but I thought maybe it was the plastic I tasted and I was miserable. Now I know where it could come from AND that I am not the only one who gets that taste right away.

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
Ellie F

Michka
You are certainly right about the taste. When I had an infection in my central line it was locked after flushing with pure alcohol. The taste was so strong in my mouth and throat you would think somebody had poured a straight gin down! After herceptin the taste is not as strong until I cough,then you can really taste it.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #15
suzan w

I dont
't have anything to add...I just wanted to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. And if we can get any enjoyment at all out of cancer...then I say...go for it!!! Everything written just proves how witty, smart and resourceful we are. I feel priviliged to be part of this group!!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
Mtngrl

I, too, have nothing to add except gratitude for our wonderful "club."

Not all doctors are arrogant pr***s but some definitely are. Let us know how you do with telling the hospital pharmacy not to put benzyl alcohol in your Herceptin. It makes me wonder what our procedure is. I know they don't order my Herceptin until they're sure I'm on site.

Keep it up!
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
rhondalea

I'm with you on the obnoxious onc, although at least I have the benefit of a good RO who is willing to compensate somewhat for his colleague's deficiencies.

I received my MRI results 15 minutes ago. Nothing growing, thankfully, but I'm not sure I trust the results--nowhere in the report does it say, "Brain is oatmeal," but there's absolutely no doubt that my brain is currently the consistency of porridge. You'd think they'd have picked that up.

To get the MRI, I didn't have to ask. I just had to mention the headache (which I really do have), the transient nausea and a general sense of not being entirely present in my body. I made it clear that a) I had talked to a doctor at Sloan-Kettering about the sorry state of my consciousness and comprehension, b) that I planned to get help for it, and c) that I wasn't asking for her input or assistance. She seemed to take that as a challenge, which is how I ended up lying in a tube listening to bad music (the purpose of which was apparently to mask the excessive noise that has undoutedly damaged my already fragile hearing).

So with these deity wannabes, the answer seems to be that they have to come up with the idea themselves. Don't ask for anything, just ramble on about a bunch of symptoms (and possibly what you plan to do about them on your own) and wait while the overweening ego rights itself and figures out how to be back in a place of control.

2/6/09 Core needle biopsy: negative; Mammos through 2010: no change
3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
4/14/11 Core needle biopsy: negative for cancer
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
7/14/11 CT/Bone scans NED; MUGA 66%
7/19/11 Biweekly dd AC w/Neulasta; done 8/30/11
9/13/11 Transfusion (Hemoglobin 8.6); MUGA 64%
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
12/27/11 Radiation - 6 weeks; 2/27/2012 - DONE! Yayyyy!
2/29/12 Start Tamoxifen 20 mg/day; continue until 2/28/17
5/16/12 Start five-years Metformin trial
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
8/21/12 Brain MRI NED (head still hurts, brain still fogged)
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
9/2014 Stop Aricept and Namenda; Neuropsychological evaluation
10/24/14 Start cognitive rehabilitation therapy
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #18
Mtngrl

Rhonda--Brilliant! Porridge brain or no, overweening egos are no match for you! Well played, very well played.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #19
Jackie07

Since you've had Herceptin for so long (a year?), I agree with your doctor that it's doubtful the preservative was the problem. Have you been given shots to increase your blood counts? I remember how those shots gave me certain symptoms...

We all develop 'communcation problems' with our oncologist at one time or another. Like every relationship in our life, 'retreat' or 'blame the other side' is usually not the best solution.

I'm sure your doctor will respect your opinion/complaint more after this 'incident'. He owes you one - which can be a good 'weapon' for you to get what you need in the future...

Most oncologists are the top in their profession as physicians. They have strong egos. Give him some compliment next time before making your requests/complaints, he might be more likely to listen to you.

My oncologist is a very patient person with top trainings/experiences. But even a 'very' nice person like me had driven him 'crazy' (= got him upset with my requests a couple of times.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 08-24-2012 at 02:21 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #20
rhondalea

Sensitivity can develop after the first exposure to a substance and grow worse over time.

This is why the L'Oreal box warns us to do a patch test every single time we cover our roots. It's also why I was able to take Bactrim intermittently until I was in my early 30s, and then--KABOOM!!--I woke up in the middle of the night bright red all over my body and thinking I would likely die of itching. I also have an acquired allergy to tea tree oil that occurred about 2 years after first use.

As for doctors, I must confess to a "what have you done for me lately?" attitude. That may not be the best approach, but I've had some very dismissive doctors in my lifetime. As a result, I was untreated for severe Hashimoto's for years. I was also erroneously diagnosed with MS. (I only avoided treatment for MS because I was so sure I didn't have it, I walked out on the doctor who diagnosed me. The next doctor in line looked at me like I was a loon when I asked for a thyroid panel, but he never apologized for treating me like a nutjob when the results came back.)

I have learned the hard way that we need to trust our instincts about our doctor's care for us, and when we start getting that bad feeling in the pit of our stomach, it's time to move on.

My bias is that my brain hurts, and I'm pretty pissed at the medical profession right now, so except for the factual item in the first paragraph, you might want to take me with a grain of salt.

2/6/09 Core needle biopsy: negative; Mammos through 2010: no change
3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
4/14/11 Core needle biopsy: negative for cancer
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
7/14/11 CT/Bone scans NED; MUGA 66%
7/19/11 Biweekly dd AC w/Neulasta; done 8/30/11
9/13/11 Transfusion (Hemoglobin 8.6); MUGA 64%
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
12/27/11 Radiation - 6 weeks; 2/27/2012 - DONE! Yayyyy!
2/29/12 Start Tamoxifen 20 mg/day; continue until 2/28/17
5/16/12 Start five-years Metformin trial
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
8/21/12 Brain MRI NED (head still hurts, brain still fogged)
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
9/2014 Stop Aricept and Namenda; Neuropsychological evaluation
10/24/14 Start cognitive rehabilitation therapy
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote