HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-16-2004, 12:49 AM   #1
Anonymous

is the a limit to the amount of chemo a person can have ?
Old 01-16-2004, 01:24 AM   #2
eleanor

I don't know if there's really an answer to that, but I would think it would depend on how well you're tolerating it and if the drug is working.
that would be a question for your onc.
el
Old 01-16-2004, 08:14 AM   #3
Sandy

Its my understanding there is not. As long as the body can tolerate it and it also depends on the person what he/she wants for quality of life. The more chemo the less of good quality of life. Mu doctor told me that. Our expectations are all different. Some people do well with lots of it and others do not or it does not work for them. I think part of that is finding the right combo before its too late. I will be interested to see what others post. Hugs,Sandy
Old 01-16-2004, 09:02 AM   #4
Lolly

I've never heard of a limit either, unless of course the cancer becomes resistant or the side effects are too much. I met a patient when I was going in for radiation who had a continous drip system with a portable pump, a complete little unit that was unobtrusive under his clothes, just like what we get hooked up to only in miniature; he said he would be using it indefinitely.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:39 PM   #5
Lyn

Hi there, I put my onc on the spot at a Breast Cancer meeting for the ladies in our support group. I asked the same question and he said about 3 years, so I said how do you explain me and he replied you are different, uncomplicated cancers, if there is such a thing usually respond in that amount of time, so I just say keep on bringing it on so eventaully while I am still alive and kicking I will be around for the cure. He now asks me what I want to do or try next and most of my requests have come from such sites as this. It is surprising how many countries are not up to date with the latest treatments. I will give you an instance, my friend and nephew's mother in law, had climbing tumour markers and they didn't know why, they had been CT her neck chest and abdomen, then she had seizures and a CT of her head revealed a heap of tumours, so they did the whole brain rads treatment but sadly it had gotten out of control, so when I asked for the head CT, I was replied with you don't have any symptoms, so I just said neither did Dusenka, my point was taken. Trying to get a PET scan here in Australia is like pulling teeth. So with the help of this site we exchange symptoms and knowledge so even if our Oncs are out of date we can baffle them with our knowledge. My own GP's husband died of a inoperable brain tumour, she was not aware that they can suck out the tumour, not even her Onc knew, I had seen it on a TV program here, so they went to Sydney and he got another 12 months so 3 in total. But every day we survive there is the hope of a cure which may not even be chemo, so live for today and a cure tomorrow, we will catch up to tomorrow. The other problem is our Oncs treat so many different types of cancer they can't absorb all the knowledge so they definately need our help, and if they don't appreciate it or get defensive, time to get a new onc..

Love & Hugs Lyn
Old 01-17-2004, 05:03 AM   #6
Velva

I agree with Lyn! I just switched onc's because she delayed treatment "to improve my quality of life" and would not let me have a say in what I would be treated with. So, I found an onc that I really like and feel that we will be a team. I recently went back on herceptin wkly, and will start back on navelbine wkly next Thurs. for skin mets to the neck, again! I still hope to be around when a cure is found. Hang in there, Velva