HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2007, 05:23 AM   #1
eric

Golden bullet cancer killer

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006007,00.html

A 'GOLDEN bullet' treatment for cancer that tracks down tumours before wiping them out with a blast of heat is to be tested on patients within weeks, it has emerged.

The 'seek and destroy' technique uses an injection of microscopic glass spheres, coated in gold, which seek out potentially deadly cancers in the body.

Once enough spheres have flocked to the tumour, doctors 'activate' them using a low energy beam of light.

In tests, tumours have been totally destroyed.

Unlike conventional cancer treatments, the golden bullet approach uses no toxic chemicals and no radiation, reducing the risk of unpleasant side effects.

It could also be far cheaper - saving the NHS millions of pounds each year.
British cancer scientists welcomed the development and predicted that it could help tackle a range of potentially deadly diseases - from skin cancers to cancers of the cervix, breast, brain and neck.

Tests on mice found that the treatment works exceptionally well, New Scientist magazine reports today.

When it was tried on nine mice with colon cancer, the tumours were destroyed.

Professor Jennifer West, of Rice University, Texas, who helped develop the treatment, said clinical trials on cancer patients are expected to begin in the U.S. 'within weeks'.

The first phase will find out whether the treatment successfully kills off tumours.
A second stage, due to start in a couple of years, will test the particles' ability to identify tumours.

"From the work we have done so far, we believe that this therapy will work on any soft-tissue tumours, such as the breast, prostate, brain, skin, head, neck and cervix," she said.

"In the animal studies we have not seen any side effects that would be cause for concern.

"Any side effects would be much less than we see for conventional treatments. And because it uses heat to kill tumours, rather than drugs to target part of a biological pathway, there is no opportunity for cancer cells to develop resistance to this treatment."

The golden bullet treatment is not the first to use 'nanoparticles'.

Past studies have shown that microscopic capsules injected into the bloodstream can deliver drugs directly to tumours.

What has excited scientists is that the technique identifies new tumours and destroys them minutes later with few side effects.

It uses 'nanospheres' - minute balls of glass around 140 millionths of a millimetre across, covered in gold.

These are injected into the bloodstream of a patient where they quickly circulate around the body.
The balls are designed to flow through healthy blood vessels.

However, the blood vessels that feed tumours are notoriously leaky.
Nanospheres that flow through one of these vessels will fall through the gaps in the vessel wall, and end up accumulating in the tumour.

If doctors pass a low-powered, infra-red light over an area where they have accumulated, they 'light up', allowing the location of the tumour to be spotted.

The area can then be bathed with a slightly more powerful infra-red light for three minutes.
The balls are designed to convert this light into heat - blasting away the surrounding cancerous tissue.

British cancer scientists welcomed the findings.
Dr Emma Knight, of Cancer Research UK, said: "The possibilities being thrown up by nanotechnology are truly exciting.

"Although this research is at a very early stage, we look forward to seeing the results of human trials later this year."
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Thumbs up nanoparticle therapies

What I like so much about this idea is that it is so much less myopic, and seems more likely to help the 70% who are not HER2 positive as well as those of us who are.... resources are limited and therapies that are likely to be effective on more or all groups deserve priority in funding.

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:36 AM   #3
StephN

Wink

I LOVE the fact that this type of treatment can possibly have use in the brain. Could really be a boon to so many of us living longer with cancers that have a high chance of brain mets.

This is a treatment that has been hinted around for some time and it is great to see some action in humans on a wider scale actually happening!

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote