HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2017, 06:34 AM   #61
TiffanyS

Re: Back Pain

Hi Juls, so far, the breathing technique seems to be helping with my cough and chest congestion, but it’s not helping with the pain. I had to take two Percocet when I got home from work last night because I was in so much pain, and the pain was making me feel nauseous. I also had to take two this morning, along with two Robax Platinum, and, even though this has numbed the pain, it hasn’t taken it away completely. The good news is, the Percocet is not making me as drowsy as it did the first two times I took them, which makes working easier. I’m just hoping to get rid of this pain before I go on vacation next Thursday. I really don’t want my trip to be ruined because I’m in pain all of the time.

I emailed my nurse practitioner yesterday asking her if there’s a way to speed up the process of repairing my collapsed lung, by using oxygen or something to drain the fluid, etc, but she hasn’t responded to me yet. I have another physio appointment tonight, and a massage appointment on Monday, but, after that I’m busy, and won’t be able to see either of them again until I get back from vacation in May. I really hope they are able to help me before I leave for vacation, but, if not, I’ll just have to talk my paid meds with me. What else can I do.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Second mammogram and ultrasound.
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
01/16 – Chest scan and bone scan done– all looks good.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s post surgical. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months). I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment due to liver enzymes being high.
04/16 – Have port put in.
06/16 – Finished chemo! One month off and then I start radiation.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
07/16 – First radiation treatment – 24 more to go!
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my chest wall. I am told that I have a local recurrence and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Go for rush ultrasound, bone scan, breast MRI and CT scan.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM-1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
11/16 - CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are normal at 19.
11/16 – Second CEA blood test – Tumours markers are still normal at 1.6 Second CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are still normal at 19
11/16 – Develop lymphedema and have to wear a sleeve
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to monitor it for now.
01/17 – A second “pimple” shows up on chest wall, as well as a small lump under the skin. My doctor thinks it’s scar tissue and will monitor it for now.
03/17 – Third CEA blood test and CA-15-30 blood test – Both normal at 2.5 and 25
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – results are mixed. The good news is, lymph nodes are stable, there is improvement of previous lung changes due to radiation, and the cancer has not spread to my bones, spine or liver, etc. The bad news is that while some lung nodules remained stable, others increased by 1-2 mm and new ones have shown up. All of them were less than 1cm.
03/17 – Received my genetic test results from Foundation One. It found 11 genomic alterations, 3 therapies associated with potential clinical benefit, and 13 clinical trials from which I might benefit.
03/17 – Second brain MRI –NED!
03/17 – Ultrasound done to determine size of “pimples” on my chest wall. They will follow up with a second Ultrasound in three months, to see if they are growing.
04/17 – Was told that I have developed atelectasis due to shortness of breath, which is what’s causing my back pain.
05/17 – Full body CT scan scheduled to see if I’m still “stable”.
TiffanyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:13 PM   #62
donocco

Tiffany

They have external means of dealing with back pain. Isnt there a "gadget" (TEMS?)
that provides external electrical stimulation?

Paul
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #63
Juls

Hi Tiffany
Sounds like you are doing all you can. My little knowledge of a collapsed lung is that it takes time & rest! Sorry - not something you want to hear when you are in pain!
I'm sure your holiday will help - everything feels better in the Sun!

As Paul mentioned - Would a "tens" machine help!
Juls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:52 AM   #64
TiffanyS

Hi Paul, no one has mentioned a TEMS machine to me, so I’m not sure if it will help. I have a massage appointment tonight, so I can ask about it. I’m not sure if she will have one though. I went to another chest physio session on Friday night, and my physiotherapist told me that he’s never heard of atelectasis causing pain before, and that he thinks my pain is what’s causing the atelectasis. He told me to discuss this with my doctor on Tuesday, and to look into getting an x-ray of the area. I didn’t sleep well on Friday as I was in pain all night, and I was in pain all day Saturday, even after taking the Percocet and Robax Platinum. I was supposed to go to a friend’s birthday party on Saturday night, but, I decided to go to the emergency room instead. I was in so much pain, and I thought they would do more for me than my oncologist has been doing for me, and that we might be able to find out what’s causing this pain. I went to the hospital where I am getting treatment, so they would have access to all of my medical records, and they were very helpful. They hooked me up to an IV and gave me some pain meds along with some anti-nausea medication, and took blood work and a urine sample, did a bladder ultrasound and sent me for a spine/thorax CT scan. The good news is, everything looked good, the bad news is, we still don’t know what’s causing my pain. One ER doctor thought that it could be shingles, even thought I don’t have a rash, and another ER doctor thought it was rib pain, in which case it will just go away on its own. This is not reassuring to me, as I’ve had this pain on and off for three months, and it’s getting worse every day!

The ER doctor sent me home at 3:00 a.m. with instructions to take one Acetaminophen every six hours, one Ibuprofen every eight hours, and Hydromorpone 1MG every four to six hours. She told me that if this didn’t work, and I was still in pain the next day, to go back to the hospital. Well, I was still in pain the next day, so, after a sleepless night, I went back to emergency. One of the nurses from the night before was working that afternoon, so she came to talk to me right away, and brought me to a bed. I then spoke to a doctor, who told me that the dosage of Hydromorpone the ER doctor gave me was low, and that I needed to increase the dosage to help with the pain. They hooked me up to an IV and gave me some Hydromorpone to help me with my pain, and to see how much I would need to help with my pain, and then they let me rest for a few hours. They sent me home with another prescription for Hydromorpone, along with a prescription of Ondansetron to help with the nausea caused by the Hydromorpone. I followed the doctor’s instructions and took my medication, however, even with the Ondansetron, the Hydromorpone made me feel really nauseous, and I was unable to keep down my dinner. So, this morning, I went back to taking two Percocet with Ibuprofen, and I’m hoping my Oncologist can give me something else to help me with the pain, so I can still go on vacation on Thursday. I really don’t want to have to cancel my trip, but, at the same time, I’m not sure how I’m going to be able to enjoy my trip when I’m in pain most of the time. I am feeling very discouraged right now, and I keep wondering why this is happening to me! It’s bad enough that I have to deal with cancer and treatment, but, now I have to deal with this never-ending pain, and no one can figure out what’s causing it or how to treat it. It’s very frustrating!

12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s post surgical. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months). I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment due to liver enzymes being high.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my chest wall. I am told that I have a local recurrence and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM-1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
11/16 – Second CEA blood test – Tumours markers are still normal at 1.6 Second CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are still normal at 19
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to monitor it for now.
01/17 – A second “pimple” shows up on chest wall, as well as a small lump under the skin. My doctor thinks it’s scar tissue and will monitor it for now.
03/17 – Third CEA blood test and CA-15-30 blood test – Both normal at 2.5 and 25
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – results are mixed. The good news is, lymph nodes are stable, there is improvement of previous lung changes due to radiation, and the cancer has not spread to my bones, spine or liver, etc. The bad news is that while some lung nodules remained stable, others increased by 1-2 mm and new ones have shown up. All of them were less than 1cm.
03/17 – Received my genetic test results from Foundation One. It found 11 genomic alterations, 3 therapies associated with potential clinical benefit, and 13 clinical trials from which I might benefit.
03/17 – Ultrasound done to determine size of “pimples” on my chest wall. They will follow up with a second Ultrasound in three months, to see if they are growing.
04/17 – Was told that I have developed atelectasis due to shortness of breath, which is what’s causing my back pain.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #65
donocco

Tiffany

With the pain so chronic and not ending I have another suggestion for what it is worth. What if a doctor prescribed MS Contin every 12 hours around the clock. You could take the Hydromorphone or Percocet for breakthrough pain. MS Contin (Im sure you know this) is a slow release morphine formulation. Nausea might be a problem but it is less likely with a slow release form of a drug.

Paul
Old 04-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #66
TiffanyS

Thanks Paul. I’ll mention it to my doctor when I see her tomorrow. I’ve been taking Percocet today with Advil, and the Percocet is making me feel a little be nauseous, even thought I took an Ondansetron. It doesn’t make me as nauseous as the Hydromorpone though, so I’d rather stay with the Percocet when it’s working. It doesn’t always work though.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 04-26-2017, 04:40 AM   #67
TiffanyS

Paul, my doctor mentioned MS Contin to me right away, even before I had a chance to ask her about it, and that’s what I’m taking. I started it last night, and it made me very nauseous, even with Gravel. This morning, I took it with Prochlorazine, and I’m hoping that will help. I’m supposed to be leaving for Europe tomorrow evening, and I really want this pain medication to work so I can go. I’m also taking and extra strength Advil three times a day for another 9 days, and I have Percocet in case the pain gets really bad.

My nurse practitioner spent about an hour examining me yesterday, and it would appear that I pulled a muscle in my diaphragm due to all of the coughing I was doing in over the last few months. Because I am on chemo, it wasn’t healing, and because I never stopped coughing, it kept getting worse. We believe that this is what’s causing my pain, and my Atelectasis, and, in order to treat this condition, I need to see a chiropractor as soon as I get back from vacation, and continue with my chest therapy. In the meantime, I’m taking the pain medication in order to get me through the next two weeks, as I don’t want to have to cancel yet another vacation.

I told my nurse practitioner and my doctor that I was very upset that this issue wasn’t dealt with months ago. I’ve been complaining about chest congestion since last September, my cough and shortness of breath since last November, and the pain in my side and back since January. I was upset that it took a trip to the emergency room for them to finally do something about it. They told me that they were sorry, but, because I always looked so well when they saw me, they didn’t think it was that bad. I guess going forward, if there’s something wrong, and I want them to believe me, I’ll have to go into the clinic looking bad.

We also discussed my future treatment plan, and we decided that I’m going to transfer to the drug T-DM1 when I get back from vacation. Given everything that has happened, I just can’t take Taxol anymore, and, my doctor think that the Perjeta and Herceptin won’t work for me on its own without the Taxol. The T-DM1 will be a lot easier for me to take, and I will only have to go the hospital every three weeks to have it administered, so I will be there less often. This is a good drug, and I think I will have success on it. We shall see.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
04/17 – Was told that I have developed atelectasis due to shortness of breath, and a pulled diaphragm, which is what’s causing my back pain. I need to see a chiropractor physio for chest therapy.
05/17 – Bye bye Herceptin/Perjeta/Taxol, hello T-DM1
Old 04-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #68
donocco

Tiffany

Im sorry you have such problems with the side effects. This may sound crazy to you but there are Homeopathic medicines that could help for nausea. The problem with Homeopathy is that it is complicated. Nausea that starts after eating would be treated with a different remedy than nausea that starts on an empty stomach. Nausea that starts in the morning would be treated with a different remedy than nausea that starts at 3pm every day. Its hard to say nausea=this is the general homeopathic treatment for nausea.

However homeopathic Ipecac just might help.I wouldnt bet on it but its worth a try as long as your doctor agrees. You can get these remedies online ie Amazon or Boiron. Homeopathy isnt quackery (The FDA AMA etc would say it is) and it is used extensively in Europe, particularly in Belgium and the United Kingdom.

Just a suggestion. The basic idea of Homeopathy is you treat a symptom with minuteptentized drugs that will cause the same symptom in large doses. This is a simplification but explains the basic idea. Ipecac in large doses causes nausea and vomiting. This is why it is used in poisonings. Therefore in small, potentized homeopathic doses it relieves nausea and vomiting. Basically the Homeopathic preparations are nontoxic. Homeopathic Ipecac may be worth a try. Talk with your doctor.

Paul
Old 04-26-2017, 04:10 PM   #69
Vinafera

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }a:link { } It's incredible that you have to wait so long for results. That is horrible. I even go so far as to know the vacation schedule of my Doctors and don't let them schedule me for something if they are away for a week or a few days. Or if they are going away, I make sure that I know who the covering physician is that WILL call me. I don't leave the OutPatient Pavilion unless I have my lab results.

I purposefully schedule my MRIs, CTs, Echoes, PETs first thing in the morning and early to mid-week. Reasons:
1. I prefer to be the first patient or one of the firsts to avoid having to wait for the domino effect of patient backlogs.
2. This way the doctor will call me the same day with imaging results.
3. It's easier on my work schedule.

Hold your Doctor(s) accountable. They work for YOU!!
Vinafera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:37 AM   #70
TiffanyS

Hi Paul, thanks for the suggestion, but I’m leaving for Europe tonight, so there’s no time for me to try homeopathic medicines before I leave. The Prochlorazine is helping with the nausea though, so I think I’ll be okay. I just wish the MS Contin worked better than it does. It kind of numbs the pain, but the pain never goes away. I even took a Percocet yesterday afternoon, and my pain went away for half and hour, and then it was back again. Maybe I should take two next time. I just don’t understand why nothing is working for me. I’m on pretty strong pain meds, yet none of them takes the pain away. I’m getting to the point where I’m just used to living with pain on a daily basis.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
04/17 – Was told that I have developed atelectasis due to shortness of breath, and a pulled diaphragm, which is what’s causing my back pain. I need to see a chiropractor physio for chest therapy.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:49 AM   #71
TiffanyS

Hi Vinatera, at my clinic, it takes about two weeks to get CT scan results back. That’s because the radiologists are behind. I usually get other test results within a couple of days. Of course, I always have to ask for them when I see my doctor or else they won’t tell me, and they don’t like it when I ask for a copy of my test results. I feel like they don’t want us to know too much information, because they don’t want us to question their decisions. I know that I annoy them because I want to know everything.

I don’t qualify for a PET scan in Canada, however, the hospital usually makes all of my other appointments for me, and, if I want to change them, I have to call and reschedule. I usually try to get an appointment first thing in the morning or at the end of the day, because I’m still working, and I don’t want to have to take too much time off of work. MRI’s are difficult to reschedule though, as they are down a magnet at my hospital, and it takes months to get an appointment.

I’m very happy to be Canadian, and I love that we have health care, but, because we are not paying out of pocket for treatments, appointments etc, we do not have as much control over the kind of service we get. That being said, I believe that everyone should have equal access to medical care, and that people with money should not have access to better or quicker service, so, I guess I just have to sit back and wait for my turn.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 05-19-2017, 04:46 AM   #72
TiffanyS

Hi Paul, I’m taking the time release Hydromorpone Contin (3 mg, was 6) for pain, with short term Hydromorpone (2 mg) for break through pain. These meds are helping with the pain, however, they are making me very drowsy, and it’s hard for me to get anything done when I am fighting to keep my eyes open. Can you recommend anything to help with the drowsiness? I’ve tried Tea and Coffee, and am wondering if something like Red Bull will work? I really need to get this drowsiness under control, or I won’t be able to take the drugs anymore as I can’t get anything done. Thanks.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
04/17 – Was told that I have developed Atelectasis due to shortness of breath, and a pulled diaphragm, which is what’s causing my back pain. I need to see a chiropractor physio for chest therapy.
05/17 – Hospitalized with a mild case of pneumonia.
05/17 – Full body CT scan show progression to lungs and chest – Bye bye Herceptin/Perjeta/Taxol, hello T-DM1