HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 12-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #1
Ellie F

Smile Subcutaneous herceptin

Hi everyone
My onc centre has started using sub cutaneous herceptin recently. Anyone had any experience with it?

Thanks
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
vicky6

Re: Subcutaneous herceptin

Hi Ellie

You will probably know what it's like by now but just in case anyone else is interested I thought my experience might help with your question. They have started sub cut Herceptin injections into the thigh this year, in the UK. I have had 7 by drip and 5 by sub cut, so far. It takes 5mins to inject and stings, it leaves a puffy area and a rash but the rash is not sore or itchy so not a problem, it fades over 10 days. Not everyone has these symptoms, some do not have the sting or the rash. Having had both ways I much prefer the sub cut as it's over with quickly and you are no longer tied to the drip. At the moment we still have to stay in the clinic for observation for two hours, but the aim is for this eventually to be done at your local doctors clinic or self administered at home.

Regards Vicky
vicky6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
Rolepaul

I thought England said no Herceptin reimbursement for public insurance.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
vicky6

Yes Herceptin is free on the NHS (national health service) now. I started the treatment in October 2013.

Vicky
vicky6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
Nurse4u2day

I have never heard of the Subq injection of herceptin. I had my first herceptin alone drip last week. Although I personally would not do it simply because I'm afraid of needles ( I have a port) what an exciting advancement this is for so many. The financial burden alone of taking time off work to do the drips, the car drives etc. I love it.

Tamara
12/13 port placed
12/13 neoadjuvant DD AC xs 4 rounds started
02/14 taxol/herceptin started every week xs 12 rounds
Herceptin for 1 year
Ki67=23%
BRCA1&2 negative
5/06/14 last round taxol/herceptin. Chemo done!!!
5/07/14 clear CT scan
6/11/14 Bilateral Mastectomy Done
6/15/14 8mm tumor post chemo. Removed by bmx
6/15/14 lymph nodes 0/9
6/15/14 officially Cancer Free
7/11/14 emergency surgery to left breast . Wound refused to heal and broke open. New TE placed
7/28/14 emergency medical procedure now to right breast( post op 6 weeks mastectomy ) wound opens.
8/25/14 - 10/07/14 Radiation
11/24/14 CT of Brain clear
01/23/15 One year Herceptin Complete
02/04/15 Diep done
5/01/15 1 year Ct scan- mass in thymus
6/23/15 repeat CT mass in thymus still present
6/30/15 biopsy thymus 7/03/15 mass Benign! Diagnoses Thymic hyperplasia rebound ( chemo at fault, no long term health effects)
7/08/15 phase 2 diep
11/23/15 phase 2b ( reconstructive surgery with lipo)
03/05/18 Vinnie Myer 3 D nipple tattoos complete.
11/19/2018 5 years since Dx of IBC stage 3c remain NED.
11/19/21- 8 years today I officially remain NED and in 12 days I will be having a lymphnode transfer to help decrease some mild lymphedema! Still working, living life and soon to see a day I thought never would happen and that’s becoming a grandparent June 22nd.
11/19/2023 - 10 years since diagnosis and I remain NED
Nurse4u2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:03 AM   #6
redwhiteblue

I have had 7 sub.cut..After 3 Years being on the drip (bone mets) I could not be happier: If I am lucky and it is not to busy I`m in and out the hospital in 20 minutes (including bisphosphonat-injection. First two injections it looked a bit like an enormous moskito bite, but that went down quickly. Now there is nothing, nurses say it is because they are experienced now (I was their first patient) Needle is very thin, compared with the sharp pain I experienced when they put the port-needle in this is heaven. Hospital was first very reluctant (staff has to be trained, they need a seperate room because the other patients could see your thigh(!!!) Now they are promoting it , it turnes out that the cancelation rate has gone down, people like me (self-employed) don´t have to waste
time and money just staring at a drip. This sessions were a constant reminder that I am a cancerpatient (most of the time I forget it). and seeing patients who were obviously not doing very well especially the very young ones really depressed me.O, by the way:SE:I used to be very tired with flue like symtoms after the drip, that is gone as well.
Next stop: I want to inject myself and then I will be FREE (more or less).
Hendrina
(living in the Netherlands, beeing treated in Germany, we live on the border
redwhiteblue is offline   Reply With Quote