HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
Lani

bipolar radiofrequency ablation treatment of bone mets (adding cement not necss/hlpfl

Anticancer Res. 2009 Jul;29(7):2787-92.
Prospective Pilot-study of Combined Bipolar Radiofrequency Ablation and Application of Bone Cement in Bone Metastases.

Proschek D, Kurth A, Proschek P, Vogl TJ, Mack MG.
Department of Trauma Surgery, University Hospital Mainz, Langenbeckstrasse 1, 55131 Mainz, Germany. proschek@unfall.klinik.uni-mainz.de.
BACKGROUND: The purpose of this study was to determine the efficacy and safety of radiofrequency ablation (RFA) of bone metastases of breast cancer and to compare RFA alone and RFA with additional bone cement application. The primary objectives were to compare pain reduction and quality of life during long-term follow-up in a prospective pilot study. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Sixteen female patients with painful spinal bone metastases of human breast cancer were included in this prospective pilot study (mean age 59.5 years, range 52 - 69 years). RFA was performed with computed tomographic guidance and under local anesthesia. A bipolar and impedance-controlled radiofrequency system was used. Following RFA, bone cement was injected into the necrosis cavity in half of the patients (n=8). Pain, quality of life and complications were evaluated. Mean follow-up time was 20.4 months (range 8-36). Paired comparison procedures were used for analysis of the results. A review of the literature was carried out. RESULTS: In both groups (RFA alone and RFA with additional bone cement application), pain was reduced significantly (mean reduction of pain 51.7%, p=0.0065). Quality of life was improved up to 61%. All procedures were performed without side-effects and complications. Imaging showed a complete ablation of the bone tumor in all patients. No local tumor progression was seen. CONCLUSION: RFA is a safe and effective option in the palliative therapy of bone tumors. Application of bone cement into the necrosis cavity has no significant additional effect on the reduction of pain and the improvement in quality of life. In selected cases with big bone defects, combining RFA and bone cement application is a useful option to stabilize the bone.
PMID: 19596962 [
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
Carolyns

Hi Lani,

Thank you for posting this. I actually had a cervical replacement put in... the complete bone. Then that was followed by a lighter dose of radiation. That was 3.5 years ago at 50 years old with bone mets. My cervical spine had a portion that was described as the texture of mashed potatoes. They said I was a sneeze away from disaster and I never had any pain or warning. I thought that routine bone density testing would give me a heads up if the bc ever went to my bones... I learned too late that it doesn't. I also feel that the idea of diagnosing stage IV sooner or later does make a difference is just crazy. It "may not" extend your life (very questionable in my mind for many reasons) but it definitely would have impacted my QOL had this issue not been found and addressed. Based on my experience, getting the Stage IV diagnosis sooner meant that I could get surgery and live out my life standing up rather than in a wheel chair.

Thanks again for all you do!

Love, Hope, Peace, Carolyn
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote