HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2008, 12:33 AM   #1
Janelle

Rebecca,
How old are you? Are you premenopausal? I chose to have double masts even though I was node negative because I was under 40 when diagnosed and I had many years ahead of me (God willing) to recur. If I were older I may have made a different decision. I was told I had about a 25% chance of getting cancer in my healthy breast due to my original diagnosis at a relatively young age.

Good luck...Ask your docs, ask us, then go with your gut.

Janelle
vascular invasion
multifocal disease
Lumpectomy November, 2006
A/C every 3 weeks (started Jan., 2007 and finished March 2007); followed weekly Taxol (finished June 2007) concurrent with Herceptin (finished March 2008);
Bilateral Mast with immediate recon in Sept 2007; finished recon Dec. 2007
Started 5 years of tamoxifen Nov. 2007; started peptide vaccine clinical trial at MD Anderson October 2008 and finished active part of trial in April 2009 (monthly injections of AE37 peptitde (HLA type specific) with GM-CSF or GM-CSF alone depending on if I was in experimental or control group); started Zometa infusions June 25, 2009- 4mg every 6 months for 3 years (taking it "off-label" to try to prevent mets)
Janelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
Unregistered

Rebecca:
I had a lumpectomy three years ago and have been fine and grateful. I did not have a small tumor, had one pos node, aggressive cells and yet feel very safe.
I recommend finding the best, most experienced and enlightened surgeons (specializing in breast cancer surgery) you can locate and consulting two or three of them. You might even want to travel to a bigger city for your surgery.
If you know you want a mast, then the decision is easy. If you're not sure, I think the surgeon is the one who knows if a lumpectomy will give you similiar odds for staying recurrence free (and the odds should be within 5% of the odds for mast for local recurrence, the same odds for life expectancy). And the surgeon may not really know until the surgery and the pathology, so you are facing more of an unknown with a lumpectomy. For me, it has been totally worth it. I don't worry, the cosmetic result is great, I have more follow up, but I don't mind.
The others are right that there are certain criteria that do make a mast necessary or a lump not cosmetically ok -- BRCA pos, unclean margins, location of tumor, extensive DCIS, etc.
If you want help finding surgeons, you might post where you live and see if women on this site have info.
Good luck
Linda
PS. I was told that pathology (having an aggressive cancer) need not effect your surgery choice.