HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-16-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
Sandy H

Lu ann-how are you feeling?

Am wondering how you are feeling? I hope its going well with the drain and you are able to be more active. I am waiting to get scheduled for the talc procedure so am curious to see if it works for me!! Hope its not too painful as I have heard pros and cons. I've gotten this far so am pretty tough but still don't like a lot of pain. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:30 AM   #2
lu ann

Answer for Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Sorry I havn't been on board for a few days. When are you having the procedure done? How long have you had the fluid problem? I have had pleural effusion at least since I was dx. with the reoccurrance three years ago.

Maybe if they had of done the talc procedure sooner it might have worked. The lung has too much scar tissue on it to expand. The doc is hoping if we keep things drained the lung might re-inflate.

I'm not in too much pain, just real tired. I can't walk for a long distance or exert too much energy or I'm drained.

I was in the hospital over night for the procedure. It's been a week since, and the discomfort is almost gone. A visiting nurse comes twice a week to check my vitals and drain the cavity. That part has been rather uncomfortable but is getting less each time. My husband will be doing the procedure once he shows them he can do it.

My prayers are with you for success.
Love, Lu ann
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
Lolly

Lu ann, I'm glad to see you're feeling somewhat better. I hope things continue to improve for you, and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
lu ann

This post was the last we heard from Sandy before the site crashed. It was just like Her to think of others during Her time of need. I will always be greatfull for having known such a kind and gentle soul. Till We meet again. Love, Lu Ann.
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
MJo

I will miss her picture along with her messages. I never told her that I thought her hair was lovely. Always meant to. Sandy, I know you are listening. If I lived in Maine, I'd go to your hairdresser.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
StephN

Wink Thanks for bringing this back up, Luann

How ARE you Luann? Hope feeling much better and that the need for the draining is alleviating.

Sorry to tell you that only Sandy's hairdresser "knows for sure." She had invested in a few nice wigs and I am sure she is wearing one of them. Same with her pics taken in San Antonio. I could hardly believe how well she wore them and how natural they looked. Not being much of a "hair fiddler" myself, I was envious of her instant coiffure.

She had good sense of her own style.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
Lolly

Missing Sandy. So glad to know she had a peaceful passing, especially reading her recent words about not liking pain.
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote