HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
Emelie B

Palliative Care

Well ladies, I am offically quitting treatment. Had a long discussion with family and we all agree, that it is my choice to live a life feeling as good as I can for as long as I can, instead of chasing a dream and worring ALL THE TIME.
I know my fate and I am moving forward finally.
I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. No more worry and wonder. Freedom from doctors and tests and pain and more worry.

I hope everyone knows this is a personal choice and the right one for me. I am not saying it is the right one for anyone else, so please do not think I am proposing others pursue this course.
I also want to say that after reading Ira Byock's book The Best Care Possible, I felt so much better about my decision. I highly recommend it and his other book called, The Four Things That Matter Most. A must read for everyone healthy, sick, young or old. It will change your life.
So, my onc has said that with the lung involvement that has occured twice, I am looking at 3-6 months statistically. I am thinking a year!
I will be checking in with everyone to send hugs and prayers as they mean so much to all of us.
Best regards to all and enjoy Spring,
Emelie
March 2007-MRM with 8 of 14 lymph node involvement
May 2007-36 Rads
Sept. 2007- Stopped Herceptin
Jan. 2010- CT scan shows enlarged lymph nodes in sternum and lung involvement
Feb. 2010-PET scan shows mets to liver, lung, lymph nodes and bone
Feb. 2010- Started Herceptin/Taxol and Zometa
April 2010-PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa
June 2010- Stopped Herceptin continue Zometa and still NED
August 2010-Back on Herceptin and Zometa every 3 weeks
August 13, 2010- Had another port placed
August 24, 2010- PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa every three weeks
Nov. 2010-PET scan clear
Feb. 2011-Brain MRI clear
March 2011- PET scan clear
May 2011- PET scan clear
Sept. 2011- PET, Mammo, Bone Scan all clear- Herceptin only
March 2012-Recurrence in lungs and tumor around pota hepatis artery. Added Navelbine to herceptin
April 2012- Entered palliative care
June 5, 2012-Entered hospice care
Planning my memorial

Last edited by StephN; 04-10-2012 at 11:19 AM..
Emelie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
Shobha

Re: Pallative Care

Hi Emelie - I am speechless. What an incredibly brave decision - and in a way, it is the choice to live and be free. I respect it and am deeply humbled by it. God bless you.

Loads of love and hugs,
shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
NEDenise

Emilie,
I hope the months ahead are filled with peace, joy, and everything that makes you happiest!
God bless!
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
caya

Emelie, I too am speechless!

If ending treatment is what you have decided, then I wish you many months of quality time with your family.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
chrisy

Emelie,

When I am most speechless, I tend to respond by blabbing out of Control!

I know this must have been a challenging decision for you and your family, and I very much admire you for having the clarity and strength to go through that process.

I have heard many times that families (including the patient)'s big regret was in waiting too long to consider this option. The level of compassion, support and as you say, freedom to accept what is and focus on what matters most is not to be underrated. Liberation from this constant battle may be profoundly healing in its own right. You are already thinking a two to fourfold poke in Stat's eye.

I also appreciate that you brought this to the "other", her2 family, and the way in which you delivered the message...with respect and compassion for all of us wherever we are in the fight. Giving us permission to be in a different place while asking that we respect your own carefully considered decision. Acceptance, not defeat; and your best choice for you.

My prayer for you is that you find peace and joy, live your life to the fullest with those most important in your life, and that you are constantly warmed in God's loving light, encircled by our warm and loving prayers for you and your family.

I hope you do continue to "check in" with us periodically, you know we love you very much here, even those of us who have never had the blessing of knowing you in person

Much love to you and your family, and may you have MANY months or years (people do flunk out of palliative care, you know) of quality time with those you love most.

Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure

Last edited by chrisy; 04-09-2012 at 01:54 PM..
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
KDR

Emelie
I can't help but think this is a cry for help. Look below, it's what you wrote me just a few weeks ago.

Wonderful, wonderful news for all of us! As the other ladies have said, we need to share the good and the not so good news. That is what Christine would want us to do. It helps us all to keep going and hoping.
Continued success with NED and let's hope this becomes an option for all of us in the near future.
Best regards,
Emelie
PS-Thank you for being such a brave women!

So, while I agree you are FREE to make your own decision about living and dying, please let us know if there is any room in your world for changing your mind.

Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Jackie07

Hi Emelie,

I'm glad Karen wrote her message while I was pondering whether/how to share my thoughts.

My first reaction was - after looking over your treatment history carefully - you are depressed and need to see a counselor/psychiatrist and perhaps get some medicine for it. It is one thing to make a decision about life and death when facing terminal illness; it is another when one is depressed and tired.

My In-law's late pastor was in his mid 80's when diagnosed with 'terminal' skin cancer that had originated from the tip of his nose. He chuckled at the notion and said - later shared with us in his sermon - "Everyone's terminal!"

We are all terminal! Nobody lives forever and no sane person would try to persue that. During this 'terminal' life we have bumps on the road. Many of us here, like you, have been through similar battles and experienced all sorts of depressions. Does it mean we should forgo treatment for a potentially fatal pneumonia? Does it mean we shouldn't try to amputate a deseased limb/body part in order to save our life?

It is your life and it is your decision. But I do feel like a second opinion is in order. Nobody should be making such an important decision while under tremendous stress and clinically depressed.

Sending you good vibes.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 04-09-2012 at 02:53 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
Mary Anne in TX

Emelie, you are one very special gal! As I read your note and then all the responses, I just kept thinking how freeing it would be not to be in the struggle and stress. But your choice has it's stress too, I know. I wish you the most joyful of moments and the greatest level of peace ever. May each day be filled with love. ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
ElaineM

Wink Re: Pallative Care

While I respect your decision I tend to agree with Karen and Jackie.
I probably would leave no stone unturned if I were at the place where you are now. I would talk to other oncologists and/or othe medical professionals at another hospital before making such an important decision. There could be something promising on the horizon that one oncologist might not know about. There could be other kinds of treatment availalbe that do not involve chemotherapies.
We are so close to getting Petuzamab and T DM1 approved too. Those medicines could be the miracles we need.
You have my support no matter what you decide. Hugs to you !!!!!!!!!!!!! All the best to you and your family.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
chekmark

Being only 6 months out of active treatment I have often said that I do not know if I would do it again. Not what family members want to hear but many of us know what you have felt and endured over the last several years. When is enough enough and when do you keep fighting? We get tired, depressed, angry, anxious and the list goes on. It saddens me to read your post but I am so amazed at your bravery and courage. Damn this stupid cancer. You will be forever in our hearts and I will be praying for you. I do not know the right thing to say but you will be in my thoughts. God Bless you. Darlene
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
LoisLane

Emelie I respect and understand your position. I wish you many many wonderful happy times with your loved ones and enjoy the quality of life you want to live. Best wishes and light to you Emelie. Lois
Her2 negative
lymph nodes negative
venous/lymphatic invasion absent
ER+PR-
Stage I Grade 2
Radiation and Femara

November 2008
Lumpectomy right breast
2 tumours .03 cm and .05 cm and extensive DCIS
.05 tumour Her2+
lymph node negative
venous/lymphatic invasion "indeterminate"
ER+PR low postive
Stage 1 Grade 2

January 2009
bilateral mastectomy
chemotherapy taxotere
Herceptin one year
Femara
LoisLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #12
Becky

What about just Herceptin and Tykerb? No chemo - just immunotherapy. It could keep you going until TDM 1 gets approved and that's a very easy drug to take.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
chrisy

Emelie,

I meant every word of what I posted above, and will support you whatever you have, or do decide. It is your decision.

I did find find it hard to post, and I wish I had still been pondering my response instead of posting it just moments before Karens post. I want to, and will be supportive of you whatever path you choose... And my comments were in that spirit.

I left much unsaid tho, and let my respect for your choice trump my deeper beliefs.

I respect and also happen to agree with your choice to "live a life feeling as good as I can for as long as I can" I wonder tho about the " instead of chasing a dream and worrying ALL THE TIME".

I believe there are more options to get to feeling as good as you can for as long as you can. Maybe a short term stint on chemo, or a mix of targeted therapy as Becky suggests, alongside palliative care (which is different from hospice) and other supportive measures to help with the worry you (we all) experience could get you to a place of much longer term maintenance on a high QOL targeted strategy with tdm1 and/or pertuzumab. This is not chasing a dream, it's a real possibility.

Emelie, none of these decisions are easy, and nothing is certain. In the end these ARE YOUR decisions. Your choice will be the right one for you, fired in the crucible with all the challenges of this disease, challenges from your friends (us) and above all, the wisdom of your own heart.

Blessings and much love,
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
Delaney

Thinking of you Emelie, I really hope things improve for you, .
Lung mets shrinking.
Back on Herceptin with T/X. Partial response.
Skin mets progressing. Radiation scheduled mid february 2011.
Spot found on hip - radiation to hip beginning mid February 2011.
Now trying Gemzar/Tyverb/Herceptin and Zometa.
CT scan Feb 2011 - lung clear!
Brain mets (specks) - radiation mid Feb.
Brain Scan June'11 - Clear
CT Scan June'11 - Good - skin met active - watch and wait.
Surgery to remove skin met. Surgery to back 2012, four titanium rods inserted. Skin mets reappear. On Navelbine, not working. 4 week washout, start Myocet for skin and lung mets August 2012. Brain scan clear despte intermittent blurry vision (something hiding? Am suspicious but hopeful. )On we go, glad to be here.
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
Catherine

Hi Emelie, Just want to say Hi and wish you all the very best every day. Thinking of you and sending love!

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #16
Elizabethtx

I can only hope you find peace on your path. Blessings,
3.2 cm 2/18 +lymph nodes
Stage 2b; E+/P+/Her2 +++
Nottingham score grade 2
Ki67 30%
3/2010 A/C 4 DD/2wks
5/2010 Herceptin/Taxotere 4D/3wks
8/2010 Herceptin until May 2011
Tamoxifin 20mg
9/2010 RAD 34 treatments
Pet scan Aug 2010 clear
Port removed July 2011
Bone scan, chest MRI 12/11 clear
Vaccine trial began Oct 2011

Elizabethtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
Pray

Emelie,

I support your decision also. Gods blessings to you. You have so much and have been so blessed throughout your life, and had cancer come and go. How do you get to the point ned won't happen again for you? I am asking with the utmost respect I promise. I was just speechless when I read your post. I know cancer is no field day for anyone. I'm sure it took a toll on you. It has taken me two yrs. to come out of a state of depression and mostly it was because of this site seeing there is life after a dx of cancer and mets is just another phase. There are so many women fighting mets day after day some become ned and some don't. I truly live on the breath of courage from all the posts of people just like you. (Christmass came early!) Please if I can be so bold to ask for you to expand on how you get from here we go again to today. Please I'm just trying to understand. I will accept no response also . (who am I to ask so much) Again, Gods blessings to you and your family. All of you are in my prayers

Peace,

Nancy (I don't mean to upset anyone and I'm so sorry if I do.)
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #18
Ellie F

Emelie
I have put off posting as I have been struggling to know what to say.
The day to day anxiety of wondering what's going on is draining and stressful plus the thought of more awful treatments is like torture.
I respect your decision but would just urge you to reflect if any of your decision is made due to depression? We know statistically that a cancer diagnosis is strongly associated with both clinical depression and anxiety.
You have achieved NED before so some things work for you and support your immune system in fighting the cancer.I wonder if you no longer believe this is possible?
Becky raised the issue of tykerb as an alternative to chemo and T-DM1 and pertuzumab will soon be approved.It often happens with breakthroughs that once one drug is found effective many others appear along similar lines.
I hope my thoughts and questions are not offensive in any way.
Love
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #19
Sheila

Emelie
I would be lying if I didnt say i was sad to read your post. I know that this is an individual choice, and I respect that these are choices we all must make. I also know that you have been struggling with the new chemo, and the shots to keep your counts up. Living life in pain is not a desired thing, but it seems to me there are still so many options to explore.

A few months back, my own oncologist told me I was running out of options via chemos, as I have had so many. I reminded her that it was MY choice to say when i had had enough, and until then, i expected to be treated. You have been a source of strength to me during radiation and so many other times...please lean on us now so that we can help you.

None of us know what is right for another, but I have always sensed such a desire to live in your posts, that this latest development catches me off guard.

Hoping there is an alternative for you, and that you can remain pain free while exploring all options out there besides palliative care. We love you Emelie and we are here for you!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #20
Mtngrl

Dear Emelie,

It was so brave of you to tell us this, and tell us your reasons. You must have known that there would be people who would try to talk you out of it.

Thank you for your generosity in creating a space for this conversation to take place. You didn't have to do that. I think it's a huge service to our community that you took the risk.

I support you in your quest for healing and wholeness. I know you are the only one who can say what that means for you.

Healing is not necessarily a matter of bodily "health." One of the affirmations I listen to says something like, "More and more, I realize that I can heal myself and live, or I can heal myself and die. My physical condition is not a factor in my wholeness." When I first heard that it was jarring. Then I sank into it and realized that my goal in life is not to avoid dying (which is, of course, impossible) but to live as fully and fiercely as possible, with as much joy and passion and peace (all three) as I can attain. From your post, it appears that's true for you too.

I hope this community can accept and affirm the rights of each person to decide her/his own course of treatment, and to decide when to stop fighting. I hope we're able to be supportive and loving in the ways we are being asked to do that, whether or not that would be "right" for us. It would be so sad to feel rejected for reaching out in this very personal way. I can't help but think that some of the push-back that you're getting is sadness for you, but that some is projection of personal fears.

There's nothing pathological about death and dying. We will all take that journey someday. There's something to be said for knowing it's coming. There's a lot to be said for having time to say goodbye, for having loving conversations with everyone who matters, and for deciding to live with as much joy and passion as possible. If we didn't have to confront death would be even value our lives?

Thank you again for your honesty and courage. I hope you do keep checking in with us and sharing your experiences.

Love,
Amy
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote