HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
Liz J.

Views on Prophylactic Mast

Hi Her2 family,

I have looked over some of the old posts and am just trying to get some more opinions on having a prophylactic mastectomy on my remaining breast. I am really close to making this decision and I wanted to get your feelings on this.

I had a right breast mast in April 2005. It was my choice to have the mast as opposed to lumpectomy, but I have read that the survival rate is the same. It is just that I have a very dense, cystic left breast and am constantly feeling lumps in different areas. I had a biopsy in June 2007 due to one of these lumps. Thank God it was benign. I started feeling something in early February, had surgeon check and he felt it also. Sent me for mammo/sono which thankfully came out ok but he still wanted to biopsy due to my history. In the meanwhile I came down with an infection and the biopsy had to be postponed. I then began to feel other lumps and the original one seemed to shrink. I met with the surgeon the other night to go over all of this, have him check me again and tell him what I am contemplating. He agreed that if I was comfortable with this that it would make more sense than the continuing drama of tests, worries, biopsies, etc. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

With Hugs,

Liz J.
Liz J. is offline   Reply With Quote