HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #21
Survivor2be

Re: support for foregoing radiation?

Just to share my story as well, which originally did NOT include radiation!!!
Triple neg, stage 2a at the time. I did chemo for 6 months first before I did my bilat mastectomy. The plan was to do the DIEP (which is take your belly fat and put t in your boobs). But I didn't have the time at work saved yet, so I just did the BMX and was gonna wait. However, I had 1/11 nodes positive, so now I have stage 2b triple neg. surgeon said I did not need radiation, radiation oncologist said new research out of Europe is showing promise to reduce recurrence and with your age and diagnosis, i think you should do it. So, since i didnt want to deal with cáncer again (funny story about that though!), so we planned for 28 days of radiation. I had to wait 10 weeks from original surgery so I could recover from the BMX and then axillary node dissection, then put tissue expanders and fill them. They did that for the cosmetic results. Radiation may cause the skin to loose stretch. I was a "D" before, so I didn't want to limit my reconstruction options. So I finally started radiation and it wasn't bad. Worked every day, no pain since BMX takes away sensation, no major redness cuz there is minimal skin-skin touching with an expander (not like real boob!). However, I grew a recurrence on radiation and then had to do another surgery and increase rads. I still tolerated everything well until the last boosts.

Currently, I've finished all treatment for the primary tumor except reconstruction. Plastic surgeon said to wait at least a year for radiated skin to heal. My skin looks really good, but I guess it still needs to age!!!!!

I know how frustrating it can be to wait!!!!get the TE for now and once ttreatment is over and when you're at the year mark, you'll have a great gift for yourself!!
Tissue expanders and fill
Radiation to breast and axilla

Breast recurrence on radiation: 9/2011 now HER2 +
This time HER2 positive, started herceptin

Brain metastasis: 10/2011
Surgery to remove lesion 11/2011

All cancer gone 11/17/2011

Confident I will outlive my oncologist!!!
Survivor2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #22
norkdo

holy cats! "radiation causes skin to lose stretch". I never even thought of that nor did I think of the iimplication re: having a successful reconstruction afterwards. so is the better idea to have radiation AFTER reconstruction (with the suggestion of draining the saline out)?

Has anybody's oncologist given anyone a time frame inside which radiation needs to be done relative to diagnosis, etc? Is waiting a year for initial radiation too long?

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #23
norkdo

jillary I am so happy that you spent the time and energy to explain to me the details. god bless you for that. I am really taking in, from what you wrote, the idea of not delaying the radiation indefinitely. do you think that one year after my diagnosis is too long to wait? i am so excited about what you wrote, that i can get the radiation AFTER the reconstruction. also, i, too, do not want nipples. it probably makes kaput the idea of joining a gym ever again, cos i would be embarrassed to be seen in the changing room, but.....so convenient in other ways re surgery to recreate them etc...

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
Old 11-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #24
Survivor2be

No, you should not wait a year. They want the radiation to occur quickly to "sterilize" the breast area. Get temporary expanders, do the radiation and a year after radiation, when the skin has healed, then you can do kick ass reconstruction with tummy tuck, nice boobs, nipples, etc. it will take time, but you will be alive and enjoying the results.

My doctor felt that the tumor was already growing immediately after the mastectomy and that's why I had a recurrence so quickly AND during treatment.
Tissue expanders and fill
Radiation to breast and axilla

Breast recurrence on radiation: 9/2011 now HER2 +
This time HER2 positive, started herceptin

Brain metastasis: 10/2011
Surgery to remove lesion 11/2011

All cancer gone 11/17/2011

Confident I will outlive my oncologist!!!
Survivor2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #25
norkdo

ok. decided. thank you sooooo much. will get radiation in january then head towards reconstruction as soon as poss.

Anyone have advice on whether to get nipples installed?

Old 11-29-2011, 05:37 AM   #26
chekmark

I had stomach issues before I was diagnosised so I was concerned when I started chemo that I would have even more problems. I take acidophyllis every day (3) for diverticulosis and I never had a single problem. No UTI's, nothing. My oncologist thinks that it very well could have helped. I will contnue on acidophyllis until I am told not to take it. It has helped my diverticulosis as well. Just a suggestion. I did not have radiation and will be having reconstruction next week. My plastic surgeon said the normal wait time afer radiation is usually 4 to 6 months depending on how the skin looks after rads. I, like you cannot wait to have my recon. Good luck to you. Stay well and god bless. Darlene
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #27
norkdo

today i buy acidophilius and am going to stick to it daily, thx darlene.
yesterday i met with surgeon. he suggests i do radiation asap. i will let my
radiation oncologist know today that i would like to start the week after
christmas. he had wanted me to start next week. (i love xmas prep)
Surgeon said i will probably get the reconstruction in june.
Good news yesterday: i finally have a family doctor. (hard to find one
in ottawa, canada, where i live...there is a big shortage for years now)
He prescribed me nexium for my heartburn and stomach issues. something
my oncologist never heard of, weirdly enough. i had first heard about it
on this site.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #28
Rich66

Mom has had a world of difference GI-wise since maxing out on florastor.

And there's this in my e-mail today:

Radiotherapy After Breast-Conserving Surgery Reduces Mortality/journals/journal_scans/Effect_of_Radiotherapy_After_Breast_Conserving_Sur gery_on_10_Year_Recurrence_and_15_Year_Breast_Canc er_Death.html/journals/journal_scans/Effect_of_Radiotherapy_After_Breast_Conserving_Sur gery_on_10_Year_Recurrence_and_15_Year_Breast_Canc er_Death.htmltcm:8-272965-64Effect of Radiotherapy After Breast-Conserving Surgery on 10-Year Recurrence and 15-Year Breast Cancer Death: Meta-Analysis of Individual Patient Data for 10, 801 Women in 17 Randomised TrialsEffect of Radiotherapy After Breast-Conserving Surgery on 10-Year Recurrence and 15-Year Breast Cancer Death: Meta-Analysis of Individual Patient Data for 10, 801 Women in 17 Randomised Trials20111128Effect of Radiotherapy After Breast-Conserving Surgery on 10-Year Recurrence and 15-Year Breast Cancer Death: Meta-Analysis of Individual Patient Data for 10, 801 Women in 17 Randomised TrialsRadiotherapy After Breast-Conserving Surgery Reduces MortalityS Darby, P McGale, C Correa, R Peto, et alS Darby, P McGale, C Correa, R Peto, et al201111122011 Nov 12LancetLancetBreastTreatmentThis large meta-analysis showed that radiotherapy after breast-conserving surgery not only substantially reduces the risk of recurrence but also moderately reduces the risk of death from breast cancer Background: After breast-conserving surgery, radiotherapy reduces recurrence and breast cancer death, but it may do so more for some groups of women than for others. We describe the absolute magnitude of these reductions according to various prognostic and other patient characteristics, and relate the absolute reduction in 15-year risk of breast cancer death to the absolute reduction in 10-year recurrence risk.Methods: We undertook a meta-analysis of individual patient data for 10,801 women in... Background: After breast-conserving surgery, radiotherapy reduces recurrence and breast cancer death, but it may do so more for some groups of women than for others. We describe the absolute magnitude of these reductions according to various prognostic and other patient characteristics, and relatJournal Scans20
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #29
LuckyLinda

So grateful for this post from JillaryJill. Glad to hear that radiation was "a breeze." Like you, I am a natural redhead and have pale, freckled skin. The radiologist told me that some of the people who have the lightest skin and seem most likely to burn surprise her by doing really well. I hope I'm on of those! I had a right-side only, skin-sparing mastectomy in Dec. with immediate reconstuction with an expander. At the time, both my plastic surgeon and I were under the impression that I would not require rads. I found out that I would need rads about a month into chemotherapy treatment (one positive node was as large as the primary tumor and had escaped the capsule). I was an A cup my entire life (except when I was breastfeeding). It didn't bother me or my husband. I just wore a great-looking padded bra. To allow for skin contraction, my plastic surgeon has over-expanded my right breast, which is now easily a C-cup (D???) and is as hard and round as a newborn baby's head. I thought I was going to have to put up with this all through radiation. I will be meeting with my radiologist and getting my CTscan on Wednesday and will be sure to ask about draining it down! I would be thrilled to have two breasts that are closer in size to each other! You have given me hope and encouragement. Four months after radiation for the implant surgery sounds w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l! I can do that! I have a wedding to attend in Italy on 1/01/13 and I will finish with Herceptin on 12/28/12. I'm looking forward to attending this wedding and celebrating the new year in style!
R side modified radical mastectomy on 12/09/11 with immediate reconstruction (expander)
Stage IIB 2 nodes + out of 10 removed
Double power port inserted 1/11/12
Chemo therapy (TCH) - every 21 days for 6 cycles beginning 1/25/12
Finished chemo on 5/21/12
Continue Herceptin only every 3 weeks until 12/28/12 Radiation (28 rads) began 6/26/2012.
Will start Femara after radiation ends (8/03/12)

"The hope for healing is not born out of a fear of death, but a love of life.This is a very good thing. When people love life more than they fear death, they come to treatment with open hands, open hearts, open eyes.When people fear death more than they love life, they are clinging and clutching and grasping."
LuckyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #30
Westcoastgirl

I did 28 rads. Saline solution compresses (you boil it up the night before) was a god send. I used the lotion they wanted me to use and despite being Snow White I came through very well. Mostly it was like having a nasty sunburn. I was a tad obsessive re my skin care but it paid off. I waited a year before I did implants. I could have gone earlier but figured I should be well healed as I was going to go direct to implants without expanders. I would say the radiated side is very acceptable and the other side is lovely. I did not try to go as big as I was before breast cancer and the ps thought that helped my body accept the implants. Good luck! Carolyn
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote