HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 07-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #21
'lizbeth

Re: Dr. Dennis Slamon, "our hero"

Well, I thought since you were a divorcee you might want to live vicariously with George Clooney. So much for stereotypes!

There's nothing more attractive than a man who isn't afraid of commitment.

He's a Kiwi jelly belly, my favorite flavor!

Hey, I've been good! I do notice the rare HIM+++ genetic profiles, I am just content to admire from afar.

If I come across any undetected HIM+++ in your area of Indiana, I shall be happy to bring this to your awareness.
Then your HER+++ might dimerize with HIM+++.

OMG, I am laughing so hard right now. Who knew that cancer could be so damn funny.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #22
SusanN

That is GREAT linn...what's YOUR favorite FLAVOR...do tell!!!
1/4/13 Rexcision, NO CLEAR MARGINS!! :(
2/11/13 Mastectomy with Expander Placed
2/15/13 INFECTION at Mastectomy site...emergency Surgery!!! Expander removed :(
DX: DCIS, IDC, Stage 2a, 2.7cm, 1/5 nodes positive
ER/PR-, HER2+++
3/28/13 Port placed
4/1/13 Begin 6 Cycles TCH Therapy
4/1/14 Finished Herceptin!!
SusanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #23
'lizbeth

Susan,

I was wondering how you were faring with the last chemo. I know it made me feel better that it was the final one and I wasn't going to have to suffer anymore of that. Just a few more days and then every day will be a little better, and more better, and really a lot better!

We've degenerated down to the level of teenagers on this thread. Who knew what a sense of humor Linn65 had? Some day we are all going to have to get together and have some good laughs.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation

Additional treatments:

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
Old 07-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #24
SusanN

Ohhhh, that would be PERFECT!!! Honestly, I was soooo glad to walk out of there, believing it was my LAST chemo...yet "somewhere" in the back of my mind...this little voice is whispering..."pray the Herceptin works now!!"

I'm stuggling with being Er/Pr-...and KNOW the Her2+++ is me is my Saving Grace...yet have "heard" and read it doesn't "work" for all...I'm worrying for no reason...I've truly got to stop...I've quarantined myself much more than I should through my chemo...however, it's taken a toll on me...everytime I start feeling better, I have about a week, next cycle!

I am planning on "rejoining" the wonderful work out center I used to belong to before all this happened...I loved it...they have an arthritis pool, to include "gentle water yoga"...I also love yoga!! Many nice amenities...!!

I was told not to eat fresh salads...can't wait to plunge my head in one!!!! Oh My Gosh, onward I go...to LIVE...

My SE usually don't come on until the 4th, 5th day after my infusion, so this weekend, I'll take a hit & will be down until about Tues...I'll be UP in no time at all...THANK GOD IT IS OVER...now, just to get through the Herceptin and believe it in...it's just the Er/Pr- I struggle with...

As to my friend who JUST had a recurrence after 2 years who is triple negative...she had a biopsy yesterday & will find out tomorrow the plan of action...I mentioned what you had said...however, doesn't seem like a go...she has had her hormone/status...a couple of times to see if it has changed...nope...will see...SHE IS A FIGHTER!!!

Thanks for for checking in dear friend!!!
ER/PR-, HER2+++
3/28/13 Port placed
Old 07-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #25
'lizbeth

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3626365/

I was reading in this Chinese study Herceptin reduced recurrence by:

In the present study, in multivariate analysis by 3-DFS this study showed a 68.6% reduction in risk of recurrence (hazard ratio, 0.314; 95% confidence interval, 0.159–0.619; P = 0.001) in the HER2-positive patients who received trastuzumab treatment when compared with the HER2-positive patients who did not receive trastuzumab treatment. This finding was consistent with the 30%–50% relative risk reduction of recurrence and death previously found in large randomized clinical trials such as BCIRG 006, HERA.

Additional treatments:

Old 07-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #26
SusanN

MUSH MIND...that I am...are you saying that is the percentage we have of no recurrence...??

Maybe I should just go to bed and put my head back on tomorrow...!!! UGHHH...
ER/PR-, HER2+++
3/28/13 Port placed
Old 07-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #27
'lizbeth

Oh how quickly we forget the mush mindness of the chemo haze . . . sorry.

In this study, the women who were Her2 and didn't receive Herceptin only had a disease free rate of 2/3s in the first 3 years. When Herceptin was added the number of women who were disease free three years later was 89.6 of 100.

What this means is that 33 women would recur after chemo. Add Herceptin and only 10 of 100 will have a recurrence.

The median duration of follow-up was 36 months (range, 12–111 months). The 3-DFS rates in the HER2-negative group, the HER2-positive group who received trastuzumab treatment, and the HER2-positive group who did not receive trastuzumab treatment were 82.6%, 89.6%, and 67.0%, respectively. The 3-DFS rate for the total study population was statistically significant (P < 0.001). Further analysis indicated a statistically significant difference in 3-DFS between either of the first two groups and the third group (P < 0.01), but the difference between the first two groups was not statistically significant (P = 0.157). Among the three groups, the 3-DFS rates during 2002–2006 did not have a significant difference compared with that during 2007–2010.

I think you might feel there is a larger risk than exists with Er- Pr- Her2+++. The US study showed 50% reduction which means 16 out of 100 would recur in three years, instead of the Chinese study's 10 of 100.

You had a more favorable pathology if I remember - and I would suspect your chance of recurrence is even lower.

Now the better news, with Er- Pr- most recurrences are within the first two years. Which is why I liked being Er- PR-. I didn't find that alarming at all.

So going with the two study numbers - you are most likely to be in the group of 84 to 90 women who remain NED in the first 3 years.

Now, do you feel better?

I think we lost Linn65, she's probably on a date with George Clooney.

PS. My number aren't exact, but should be in the ball park, and anyone feel free to clarify if you understand statistics better.

Additional treatments:

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 07-24-2013 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: typo