HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
MaineRottweilers

Just add Hashimoto's

I had a fantastic (???) visit with an endocrinologist on Friday. I don't think fantastic is the right word but I'll go with it. She took one look at me, my labs and my PET scan from JUNE and Dx'd me with Hashimoto's.

I am NOT CRAZY! I am NOT a hypochondriac! I was really beginning to think I was making myself ill. I sailed through my mastectomy, I worked through chemo, I climbed over radiation and then I HIT A WALL. I had been getting better and better and better and then I was worse and worse and worse than I was during the worst of chemo. And I was certain I was doing it to myself and worse, so was my MO and SO.

I'm feeling pretty vindicated. My endocrinologist was surprised no one brought up my PET scan from JUNE. She has requested a report to go with the images. It's a little depressing that it may have been caught earlier and I may not have had to feel so miserable. C'est la vie! I'm going to be well again and that's all that matters.

Oddly and coincidentally, my PCP had run some of these labs in Nov and they were normal. Endo explained it away --- that at the time I was probably very hyperthyroid and coming down as most of my thyroid gland had been destroyed and was dumping T4/T3 into my blood. The nodule my MO imaged two weeks ago was a pseudo nodule and is really the last remaining bit of healthy thyroid tissue (about the size of an M&M).

Don't give up. If you feel worse after chemo chase down an answer. Don't let anyone tell you "of course you feel sick, you just had chemo and radiation" or "it's not uncommon to have depression after chemo and radiation".

As for that new puppy....it's on hold again. I can barely put my shoes on, never mind try to house train and socialize a baby Rottweiler.
5/1/13 IDC ER/PR- HER2/neu+++
5/14/13 Mastectomy and SN biopsy
5/20/13 IDC Stage IIb Grade 3 Nodes 1/4 also IDC and DCIS multi focal in remaining dissected tissue.
5/30/13 MUGA and CT thorax, abdomen & pelvis, establish baseline.
6/4/13 Installed my little purple power port.
6/14/13 Chemo started TCH
6/14/13 Informed of suspicious ares on scans scheduled PET.
7/1/13 PET Scan NED!
9/27/13 FINAL CHEMO taken! ----well, maybe not.
10/15/13 Three little tattoos.
10/24/13 Radiation begins and fourth tattoo placed.
11/27/13 Perfectly radiant! Radiation completed the day before Thanksgiving and so, so much to be thankful for this year and every day hereafter.
1/2/14 Happy New Year, you have a Goiter? Muga down to 59%.
1/17/14 Hashimoto's Dz Dx'd. Now maybe I'll feel BETTER!
5/2/14 Herceptin completed! New kitten!
8/19/14 Prophylactic mastectomy (right) and PORT OUT! I'm DONE and now I really am a SURVIVOR.
2/15 Started not feeling so swell. Memory lapses and GI issues with nausea and blurry vision.
4/30/15 U/S cystic gallbladder, cyst on right ovary and mass in my uterus. GYN consult scheduled---and cancelled. I'm not ready.
5/4/15 Brain MRI clear (big sigh of relief)
7/30/15 Back Pain
8/31/15 Radiograph: compression fracture L2
9/10/15 Bone Scan positive
9/21/15 CT scan conclusive for tumor
10/1/15 CT guided biopsy & Brain to Pelvis MRI reveal additional lesions on spine C6, T10, T11 and L2 is collapsing.
10/8/15 Abbreviated pathology: new tumor(s) poorly differentiated carcinoma consistent with known breast primary.
ER-/PR+ (40%)
HER2/neu+++ Ki-67 4% Pancytokeratin AE1/3 Strong Positivity in all malignant cells.
10/13/15 Abnormal Dexa: moderate risk of fracture to both femoral head/neck R&L. Significant risk to lumbar spine.
10/14/15 Radiation consult back to the cooker.
10/20/15 MUGA 50% down from 54% after a year off Herceptin (???)
10/21/15 Kyphoplasty L2
10/22/15 Re-start Chemo: Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
10/26/15 PET Scan confirms C6, T10-11, L2, new lesion noted at L4 but no visceral involvement---Happy dance!!!
10//29/15 Xgeva
10/29/15 Radiation Simulation--three new tattoos to add to my collection. Just call me Dotty.
10/30/15 CA27-29 63 U/mol (<38 U/mol)
11/3/15 First Trip to see Dr. E. Mayer at DFCI
11/4/15 Surgical consult to re-install my little purple power port.
11/9/15 Radiation treatment one of five.
11/10/15 Installed my little purple power port and not a moment too soon, took them four tries to get an IV started today.
Yes, we really are going down this road again.
12/5/15 CT for suspected pulmonary embolism demonstrates increase in T10-11 mets.
12/8/15 Bone Scan uptake at T10-11 (not seen 9/17/15) & Right 8th Rib (not evident on PET 10/26/15)
12/10/15 Consult Re: PROGRESSION. Halt THP due today. Schedule PET and order TDM1 for next week. PLAN B.
12/14/15 PET scan: NO PROGRESSION! THP is working, metabolic activity minimal. Merry Christmas to me! Sticking with PLAN A, it's working.
1/7/16 Start Taxol weekly instead of Taxotere (has been too taxing and not rebounding between txs.) Zometa instead of Xgeva.
3/28/16 CT shows new sclerotic lesions on T12, L3, L5, L6, right ilium and head of right femur. No uptake on Bone Scan (progression????)
3/31/16 Discontinue Taxol start Arimidex, still getting H&P.
6/2/16 Discontinue Arimidex and start Exemestane.
6/18/16 PET is NEAD!!
7/1/16 Discontinue Exemestane and restart Armidex (SEs)
8/29/16 CT/Bone Scan Stable (still uptake at T10-11)
10/3/16 BSO pathology negative
10/10/16 MRI: Brain clear!
10/14/16 Switched care to Harold Alfond Center for Cancer Care
11/24/16 Xgeva, New MO preference to Zometa
12/12/16 CT/Bone scan Mostly stable significant uptake at L2 plan to PET
1/12/17 PET shows NEAD celebrate with a new puppy!
3/29/17 CT & BS = NEAD
7/31/17 Aetna denies access to H&P <gearing up for a fight>
8/4/17 CT& BS= STABLE
8/9/17 No treatment, Aetna still denying H&P
8/14/17 Aetna appeal approved H&P through February 2018!
2/5/18 CT & BS = STABLE

//
MaineRottweilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
linn65

Re: Just add Hashimoto's

What is Hashimoto's??? I know I think sometimes I had a misconception of how I would feel when I was done with treatment, but it is very maddening the colaterol damage.

I feel the most healthy when I wake up in the morning and as the days goes on it is quite the slippery slope!!
7/20/12 biopsy done. ER+ 30 PR -, HER+++,k167 80% Grade 2
9/2012 biopsy on lymph node - showed malignant

9/2012 Pre-adjunctive TCH chemo.

12/6/12 MRI after Pre-adj.
Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

12/18/2012 left masectomy with axillary nodes
Size 3.2 CM, Nottingham score 9/9
Grade 3, no evidence of in situ carcinoma
Areas of angiolymphatic are identified
Carcinoma is 0.5 cm from inked deep
Margin of excision
Attached axillary lymph nodes: metastatic
Carcinoma in 6 of 8 nodes.
Size of largest node 1.5 cm
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

2/27/13 6 weeks of IMRT radiation finished

2/2013 Started on Tamoxifan 5 years.

8/2013 will take last Herceptin, 17 treatments total every 3 weeks.

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

August 28, 2013 DIEP flap on the left breast.
February 2014 Nip & Tuck
March 14, 2014 nipple reconstruction and removed port.
August 14, 2014 lump in lymph nodes under arm and above clavicle. Stage IV
August 28, 2014 herceptin And projeta starting and port put back in.

3/18/15 stopped arimidex.
3/18/15 progression....Tdm1
linn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
KDR

Hashimoto's is low thyroid function (hypothyroid). Graves disease is high thyroid function (hyperthyroid). Euthyroid means no thyroid at all...me. I used radioactive iodine to burn it out in 2001.
Hope this helps,
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
IrvineFriend

Good to know, thank you!

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
MaineRottweilers

Taken from:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/thyro...53693224649639

Hi. My name is Hashimoto's. I'm an invisible autoimmune disease that attacks your thyroid gland causing you to become hypothyroid.
I am now velcroed to you for life. If you have hypothyroidism, you probably have me. I am the number one cause of it in the U.S. and many other places around the world.
I'm so sneaky--I don't always show up in your blood work.
Others around you can't see me or hear me, but YOUR body feels me.
I can attack you anywhere and any way I please.
I can cause severe pain or, if I'm in a good mood, I can just cause you to ache all over.
Remember when you and energy ran around together and had fun?
I took energy from you, and gave you exhaustion. Try to have fun now.
I can take good sleep from you and in its place, give you brain fog and lack of concentration.
I can make you want to sleep 24/7, and I can also cause insomnia.
I can make you tremble internally or make you feel cold or hot when everyone else feels normal.
I can also give you swollen hands and feet, swollen face and eyelids, swollen everything.
I can make you feel very anxious with panic attacks or very depressed. I can also cause other mental health problems. You know crazy mood swings? That's me. Crying for no reason? Angry for no reason? That's probably me too.
I can make your hair fall out, become dry and brittle, cause acne, cause dry skin, the sky is the limit with me.
I can make you gain weight and no matter what you eat or how much you exercise, I can keep that weight on you. I can also make you lose weight. I don't discriminate.
Some of my other autoimmune disease friends often join me, giving you even more to deal with.
If you have something planned, or are looking forward to a great day, I can take that away from you. You didn't ask for me. I chose you for various reasons:
That virus or viruses you had that you never really recovered from, or that car accident, or maybe it was the years of abuse and trauma (I thrive on stress.) You may have a family history of me. Whatever the cause, I'm here to stay.
I hear you're going to see a doctor to try and get rid of me. That makes me laugh. Just try. You will have to go to many, many doctors until you find one who can help you effectively.
You will be put on the wrong medication for you, pain pills, sleeping pills, energy pills, told you are suffering from anxiety or depression, given anti-anxiety pills and antidepressants.
There are so many other ways I can make you sick and miserable, the list is endless - that high cholesterol, gall bladder issue, blood pressure issue, blood sugar issue, heart issue among others? That's probably me.
Can't get pregnant, or have had a miscarriage?
That's probably me too.
Shortness of breath or "air hunger?" Yep, probably me.
Liver enzymes elevated? Yep, probably me.
Teeth and gum problems? TMJ?
Hives? Yep, probably me.
I told you the list was endless.
You may be given a TENs unit, get massaged, told if you just sleep and exercise properly I will go away.
You'll be told to think positively, you'll be poked, prodded, and MOST OF ALL, not taken seriously when you try to explain to the endless number of doctors you've seen, just how debilitating I am and how ill and exhausted you really feel. In all probability you will get a referral from these 'understanding' (clueless) doctors, to see a psychiatrist.
Your family, friends and co-workers will all listen to you until they just get tired of hearing about how I make you feel, and just how debilitating I can be.
Some of them will say things like "Oh, you are just having a bad day" or "Well, remember, you can't do the things you use to do 20 YEARS ago", not hearing that you said 20 DAYS ago.
They'll also say things like, "if you just get up and move, get outside and do things, you'll feel better." They won't understand that I take away the 'gas' that powers your body and mind to ENABLE you to do those things.
Some will start talking behind your back, they'll call you a hypochondriac, while you slowly feel that you are losing your dignity trying to make them understand, especially if you are in the middle of a conversation with a "normal" person, and can't remember what you were going to say next. You'll be told things like, "Oh, my grandmother had that, and she's fine on her medication" when you desperately want to explain that I don't impose myself upon everyone in the exact same way, and just because that grandmother is fine on the medication SHE'S taking, doesn't mean it will work for you.
They will not understand that having this disease impacts your body from the top of your head to the tip of your toes, and that every cell and every body system and organ requires the proper amount and the right kind of of thyroid hormone medication for YOU.
Not what works for someone else.
The only place you will get the kind of support and understanding in dealing with me is with other people that have me. They are really the only ones who can truly understand.
I am Hashimoto's disease
5/20/13 IDC Stage IIb Grade 3 Nodes 1/4 also IDC and DCIS multi focal in remaining dissected tissue.
7/1/13 PET Scan NED!
11/27/13 Perfectly radiant! Radiation completed the day before Thanksgiving and so, so much to be thankful for this year and every day hereafter.
8/19/14 Prophylactic mastectomy (right) and PORT OUT! I'm DONE and now I really am a SURVIVOR.
2/15 Started not feeling so swell. Memory lapses and GI issues with nausea and blurry vision.
4/30/15 U/S cystic gallbladder, cyst on right ovary and mass in my uterus. GYN consult scheduled---and cancelled. I'm not ready.
7/30/15 Back Pain
10/1/15 CT guided biopsy & Brain to Pelvis MRI reveal additional lesions on spine C6, T10, T11 and L2 is collapsing.
10/8/15 Abbreviated pathology: new tumor(s) poorly differentiated carcinoma consistent with known breast primary.
ER-/PR+ (40%)
HER2/neu+++ Ki-67 4% Pancytokeratin AE1/3 Strong Positivity in all malignant cells.
10/13/15 Abnormal Dexa: moderate risk of fracture to both femoral head/neck R&L. Significant risk to lumbar spine.
10/21/15 Kyphoplasty L2
10/26/15 PET Scan confirms C6, T10-11, L2, new lesion noted at L4 but no visceral involvement---Happy dance!!!
10//29/15 Xgeva
10/29/15 Radiation Simulation--three new tattoos to add to my collection. Just call me Dotty.
11/10/15 Installed my little purple power port and not a moment too soon, took them four tries to get an IV started today.
12/5/15 CT for suspected pulmonary embolism demonstrates increase in T10-11 mets.
12/8/15 Bone Scan uptake at T10-11 (not seen 9/17/15) & Right 8th Rib (not evident on PET 10/26/15)
12/10/15 Consult Re: PROGRESSION. Halt THP due today. Schedule PET and order TDM1 for next week. PLAN B.
12/14/15 PET scan: NO PROGRESSION! THP is working, metabolic activity minimal. Merry Christmas to me! Sticking with PLAN A, it's working.
1/7/16 Start Taxol weekly instead of Taxotere (has been too taxing and not rebounding between txs.) Zometa instead of Xgeva.
3/28/16 CT shows new sclerotic lesions on T12, L3, L5, L6, right ilium and head of right femur. No uptake on Bone Scan (progression????)
6/18/16 PET is NEAD!!
3/29/17 CT & BS = NEAD
8/4/17 CT& BS= STABLE
2/5/18 CT & BS = STABLE

//
Old 01-22-2014, 08:17 AM   #6
jaykay

So sorry! But at least you have a good endo and can treat this with meds.

Just out of curiosity - did she indicate that your treatment for BC had anything at all to do with the thyroid issue?

Best
Janis
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #7
Hopeful

Here is a link to an excellent recent article published in The Oncologist concerning Hypothyroidism Following a Cancer Diagnosis: http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.o...t/19/1/34.full

You will need to register to access the site and the article, however, registration is free.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #8
SusanN

Answers...good for you...unfortunate that it had to go like this...yet, now you can get to feeling better!!!

Much more insight for me...as I am having lab in Feb due to an over active thyroid...will need a scan if needed.

Prayers and hugs being sent your way!!!
1/4/13 Rexcision, NO CLEAR MARGINS!! :(
2/11/13 Mastectomy with Expander Placed
2/15/13 INFECTION at Mastectomy site...emergency Surgery!!! Expander removed :(
DX: DCIS, IDC, Stage 2a, 2.7cm, 1/5 nodes positive
ER/PR-, HER2+++
3/28/13 Port placed
4/1/13 Begin 6 Cycles TCH Therapy
4/1/14 Finished Herceptin!!
SusanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #9
MaineRottweilers

Love the endo! She called to see how I was doing---not her office, SHE called me. I feel GREAT! Still painful hands, feet, wrists and elbows but much less than before. The fatigue is VASTLY improved. I am feeling better, I am feeling HUMAN. Thank GOD. I was beside myself. I felt better during chemo. YUCK! JayKay, she did not say that there was a connection between BC Tx and Thyroiditis. However, the literature indicates that there is a relationship between thyroid Dz and BC. Usually thyroid Dz is found first. My Endo had a radiologist review my PET scan to see if there was some indication back in June. She said there wasn't any indication of any Dz process at that time but it doesn't mean it wasn't happening. Many of my "symptoms" predate my BC. It's possible it all went crazy at once...some environmental influence. Who knows. I'm just happy to have a Dx and Tx and to be feeling better. I honestly thought I was crazy and making myself sick. I never complained during, chemo, rebounded from each treatment quickly and returned to work the following week. I sailed through the first bit of radiation and CRASH---hit a wall. It was NUTS. I am sooooo relieved. Susan, has anyone said your thyroid issue is related to BC? Is yours Dx'd as Graves?
7/1/13 PET Scan NED!
7/30/15 Back Pain
ER-/PR+ (40%)
10/21/15 Kyphoplasty L2
10//29/15 Xgeva
6/18/16 PET is NEAD!!
3/29/17 CT & BS = NEAD
8/4/17 CT& BS= STABLE
2/5/18 CT & BS = STABLE

//
Old 01-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #10
R.B.

Lots on thyroid function, breast cancer, hashimoto's and related topics here

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53928
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #11
SusanN

Thank you very much, I truly appreciate this valuable and knowledgeable information!!
1/4/13 Rexcision, NO CLEAR MARGINS!! :(
2/11/13 Mastectomy with Expander Placed
2/15/13 INFECTION at Mastectomy site...emergency Surgery!!! Expander removed :(
DX: DCIS, IDC, Stage 2a, 2.7cm, 1/5 nodes positive
ER/PR-, HER2+++
3/28/13 Port placed
4/1/13 Begin 6 Cycles TCH Therapy
4/1/14 Finished Herceptin!!
SusanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:43 AM   #12
KsGal

Oh my gosh, I am going to ask for testing. I hurt almost all the time, and my oncologist told me I had chemo-induced fibromyalgia. I can't go six hours without taking a nap, and I have lost a ton of weight. A trip to the grocery store wears me out. I can't keep weight on because I just can't eat. I also have elevated liver enzymes, but Im pretty sure that is due to my Tykerb. Can't hurt to have it checked. You must be soooo relieved to know what was causing you to feel so bad, and to know that there is a treatment for it. Im so happy for you...Lots of prayers and big cyberhugs headed your way.
December 2012 was diagnosed with five brain mets, and had whole brain radiation.
Around July 2014 two mets in brain, one a residual spot and one new one growing in size. Received Cyberknife on both areas
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
KsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #13
R.B.

^ Many thanks SusanN. (-:

I do urge everybody who has not had a look at the iodine thread on the nutrition page to do so and take the time to watch at least the first video.

"A must watch - excellent lectures from impassioned health professionals - the first video lecture I only found recently and is linked later in this thread; I have copied it here because it is more general in nature, by a woman, and probably a better lecture to start with. Dr Brownsteins is more specialist but equally fascinating

The main section on the implications of iodine for the breast may be the place to start to get you attention; it starts at about 4.10 and again at 36.36. Please bear with the controversial introduction. Apparently the lecturer spent 10 years as a board certified female physician in ER, so her move into a more integrated medicine is based on a wide range of experiences. The lecture on iodine is very much research based.

"Dr. Sherry Tenpenny outlines the many disorders that come about because of iodine deficiency IAOMT 2007 L.V. This is a must see, especially for women that have problems with their thyroid or their breasts."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMjKmi12UX0

and

Iodine The Misunderstood Nutrient David Brownstein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd34EJ5E3bI "

Last edited by R.B.; 02-07-2014 at 04:35 PM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #14
MaineRottweilers

Thank you, I'll look at that.
7/1/13 PET Scan NED!
7/30/15 Back Pain
ER-/PR+ (40%)
10/21/15 Kyphoplasty L2
10//29/15 Xgeva
6/18/16 PET is NEAD!!
3/29/17 CT & BS = NEAD
8/4/17 CT& BS= STABLE
2/5/18 CT & BS = STABLE

//
Old 02-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #15
cleoland

Hi, yes it happened to me too. I was diagnosed with BC at 48, got shingles, lost my period completely, got pneumonia, got MRSA 4 times, got chemo neuropathy, gained over 100lbs so I was sent to an endocrinologist who diagnosed me with hypothyroidism, now taking medication for life, and now diabetes and sleep apnea. I also have GERD and hiatus hernia. Chemo and radiation completely messed up my body but save my life so just have to keep fighting, right? Have a great day everyone!
Dx jun 24th 2011
ER/PR- HER2+ Grade 3
stage IIB IDC Spread to lymph nodes
Neo adj chemo TCH Jul-Nov 2011
Lumpectomy/24 lymph nodes removed 11/30/2011
Pneumonia/infection hospital 12/13-15/2011
Radiation Jan-Feb 2012
Herceptin July 2011-2012
MRSA 4 times 2012, completed clinical trial
Chemo Neuropathy, lymphedema on right arm, Fibromyalgia, Hypothyroidism, Type 2 Diabetes, Sleep Apnea, Hiatus Hernia and GERD.
cleoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #16
linn65

I read all this again, and I go for my 2nd opinion tomorrow. I feel just like you, and I try each and every day. I come to work and sometimes the pain is doable but then like yesterday by the end of the day it my feet and hands hurt so much I couldn't stand it. I just wanted to go straight home and cry then go to bed.

It is all the things you said above......And I have thought this isn't any quality of life, and I am ready to be done now and Jesus just take me to heaven. I keep searching for an answer because I want to live life more then I did before Cancer because I realize how precious life is and I didn't appreciate my health.

I have taken my 2nd dose of 50,000 units of Vitamin D and maybe that will work. Heck, I don't know.

I get everything you said, and I hope you are feeling better!! What do they give you for this disease?? How do they figure out if you have it???
7/20/12 biopsy done. ER+ 30 PR -, HER+++,k167 80% Grade 2
9/2012 biopsy on lymph node - showed malignant

9/2012 Pre-adjunctive TCH chemo.

12/6/12 MRI after Pre-adj.
Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

12/18/2012 left masectomy with axillary nodes
Size 3.2 CM, Nottingham score 9/9
Grade 3, no evidence of in situ carcinoma
Areas of angiolymphatic are identified
Carcinoma is 0.5 cm from inked deep
Margin of excision
Attached axillary lymph nodes: metastatic
Carcinoma in 6 of 8 nodes.
Size of largest node 1.5 cm
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

2/27/13 6 weeks of IMRT radiation finished

2/2013 Started on Tamoxifan 5 years.

8/2013 will take last Herceptin, 17 treatments total every 3 weeks.

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

August 28, 2013 DIEP flap on the left breast.
February 2014 Nip & Tuck
March 14, 2014 nipple reconstruction and removed port.
August 14, 2014 lump in lymph nodes under arm and above clavicle. Stage IV
August 28, 2014 herceptin And projeta starting and port put back in.

3/18/15 stopped arimidex.
3/18/15 progression....Tdm1
linn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:23 AM   #17
BrendaB

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in 2001, after feeling rotten, awful memory, depressed, etc. I thought it was just peri-menopause. Felt so much better after getting on Synthroid.

Now, I am confused about what to do. Last October's PET scan showed my breast cancer had spread, so I wasn't real concerned about thyroid ultrasound that showed some nodules. They had been there since last thyroid US over 12 yrs ago. Now that my scan in Jan. says I am in remission, my surgeon decided to do an ultrasound on my thyroid last week, then did a biopsy on a nodule that had grown since Oct. The results were not clear, and he wants me to have a nuclear sonogram. Seems to me that the PET scan from Jan would have shown if it were cancer, wouldn't it?
I don't want to go off the Synthroid for the 4 weeks prior to testing, as they require.
11/29/11 MRI, original calcifications are also cancer
12/13/11 lumpectomy, not clear margins
12/27/11 re-excision, SNB 2 of 3 nodes +
er/pr- her2+
1/23/12 port placement
1/31/12 start 6 rounds TCH, Herceptin for a year
June, July 2012 35 rounds radiation
1/31/13 NED for a few months anyway
6/11/13 ultrasound guided biopsy, it's back; I'm furious this time.
6/24/13 mastectomy (left side), lymph nodes removed, 2 of 17 are +
7/5/13 CT scans clear
9/9/13 Rash,lump along scar; Biopsy;it's back again! Are you kidding me?
9/19/13 skin resection, skin graft from leg
10/1/13 PET scan, lymphatic invasion, nodes under right arm,supraclavicular nodes, sternum show activity. Considered metastatic.
10/10/13 Herceptin, while the team considers options.
11/7/13 Kadcyla, for a year, every 3 weeks.
1/15/14 PET scan shows NO metabolic activity! Happy dance! Thank you Jesus!
I refuse to let cancer take my Joy and my Peace!

BrendaB is offline   Reply With Quote