HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #101
lkc Gumby

Unhappy Re: Prayers needed for Sheila

Hi Jen, I am sorry honey for the pain you and your Mom and family are going through. Your Mom is a special person and I know first hand how hard it is to watch mommy in pain. ( I lost my mom to BC, and she lost her mom and only sister to BC)
I am praying for you all.

Dxed Stage IIIC May 05, 12 pos nodes
er/pr -neg,Her -pos
LVI
Right partial mast & partial axillary dissection-June14,2005
Right modified mast-no clear margins- June 30, 2005
DD AC x4
Taxotere X4 with Herceptin
Rads x 35( 5 fields )
Left prophylactive mast( atypia & hyperplasia found ),
put on Tamoxifen x 1 yr; D/ced due to endometrial thickening
bilateral recon (saline implants)May 06
Nipple recon July 06
metformin 2010
removal of implants due to severe encapsulation, insertion of gummies 2013
Reclast Q yr
NED!!!
lkc Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #102
radiant

Re: Prayers needed for Sheila

Wow Jen -

We r SO sorry to hear of your moms situation.
Cancer robs it all from us and others around
us.

Hugs,

Kim
2008 - on Arimidex/Herceptin - stable lymph node.
2009 - stable on Arimidex/Herceptin
2010 - lymph node progression and liver mets.
2010 - went on Gemzar, Navelbine, Herceptin - Navelbine and Herceptin took liver mets down. lymph node slightly progressed.
2010 - did Xeloda & Tykerb - MAJOR progression in liver in only 6 weeks.
Dec 2010 - present - Ixempra/Avastin/Herceptin/Fasoldex - regressing
June 2012 - chemo break
Sept 19, 2012 - start t-dm1. Chose this over going back on Ixempra.
radiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #103
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

Dear Sheila, Just want you to know I haven't stopped streaming a multitude of loving, healing energy to you!!! May all that you have given for all these many years be returned to you -- 100-fold...

My love to you too Jen, as what you are going through has to be so very hard. Your Mom is such a special Spirit. I know she is trying her best to stay positive which is truly a challenge when in pain and feeling overwhelmed with all that she has been going through. It can overtake you, if you aren't on guard. May she soon find her footing again. Really really really soon!

Still, if anyone can do it -- I believe in Sheila! Warrior Woman extraodinaire. A shining Light in our lives, and in your family's life I have no doubt!

I am always so touched by and proud of Sheila's grace and tenacity. You just can't keep that Woman down!

Stay strong Sheila, please. I am deeply sorry you have to go through all this. It's too much. Hard to keep your chin up. So, I pray for your strength and resolve to persevere, anyway. Cause that is who you truly are.

Please stay focused on healing, darling Lady! Not so simple to reject all other thoughts as they are in your face and in your head, but that is what you must do my Sister.

With Love and Light, and a giant hug,
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #104
chrisy

Dang. I wish I was eloquent like Andi...

Sheila and Jen, lve to both of you...
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #105
Laurel

Jen,

Please know we do understand your fears, fatigue, and frustration having to sit ideally by while your mother is in the battle of her life. The helplessness of it all is overwhelming, and fear is exhausting. I met your mother 2 years ago. She is an amazing women, vulnerable and honest about matters. I found her so refreshing and counted myself in awe of her. I imagine you have inherited a few of those fine qualities. You sound brave and selfless like your mom. Sending love and prayers to both of you.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #106
Midwest Alice

Sending prayers Shelia
08/08, Herceptin/tax 12 every week
10/08, CT/PET clear, ? on pelvis, hips, MUGA 43, started Enalaprial for heart, Herceptin every 3 weeks
11/08 33Rads; 12/08 MUGA 48
2/09 MRI spine and bone scan, old mets to spine, Chest x-ray, blood work, IV NED,regular CPAP use,Zometa x6, first -flue like symptoms 2 days;Herceptin x3; stage 2 lymphoedema..sleeve and glove
4/09 Brain MRI - CLEAR; MUGA 54
7/09 chest ultrasound,
10/09 PET, brain and spin MRI NED Herceptin only. MUGA 59!!!
1/11 Hip replacement 7/11 Hip 2 replacement
4/12 4 years!! Herceptin
6/12 start reconstruction finish in 12/12
2/14 Herception - 6 years!!!

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you
can stand up under it."

Midwest Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #107
karen z

Andi said it all and very well. Thanks Andi for expressing all of our thoughts so beautifully.

Love, the best thoughts, prayers, and cards are coming your way Sheila.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #108
v-ness

dear sheila - you barely know me, if you know me at all, but i have seen and read many a post of yours here over the years. i am so sorry to hear that you are admitted to the hospital and i am proud of your daughter for calling upon the her2support group to lend you their love & support. that can only feel deeply, richly good amid all the troubles you are experiencing. you are very well loved here and highly respected. people would come out of the woodwork to do anything for you. that shows how special you are, and i hope you gather your strength and the doctors do some magic and heal you. yours, valerie
2/10 began 7 wks of radiation
6/10 mom dies of primary peritoneal ovarian cancer
8/10 got my last remaining ovary out
10/10 mammogram all clear
3/11 MRI shows 5 'spots' in right breast, largest 1 cm unidentifiable on US
needle biopsy proved the largest to be old inflamed cyst -phew!
7/10 switched to Arimidex
8/9 switched to Femara - allergic to arimidex
Femara made me lose hair quickly so switched to Aromasin
Aromasin made my hair fall out too and the bone pain was too much.
back on Tamoxifen 1/2013.
blood clot from trains and planes 5/2014 so on coumadin per onco for as long as i am on tamoxifen
tamoxifen was supposed to be up with my 5 yrs in may but my boyfriend was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer so i am staying on tamoxifen indefinitely because i want some ammo against BC, given the stress. lost my husband in only 10 wks in 2007 to stage 4 esophageal cancer.
cancer's screwing with another man i love
2/2016 - 6yrs in remission, off tamoxifen and off coumadin - yay!
v-ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #109
Kim in CA

Shiela,

Sending my most heartfelt prayers and lots of love your way. You are very special to all of us.

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #110
DonnaD

Dear Jen,
Your Mom is so important to us all. We understand how hard this is for you and your whole family.

I can't believe all this has happened. Just a little over two weeks ago we (Sheila, Michael, Loren and I) met in Ottawa at one of her old haunts for pizza. We had a great time chatting and laughing.

Many prayers are coming your way. Please tell your Mom we love her!
Donna
The flowers in my photo were from Sheila, celebrating my Cancerversary
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #111
Ceesun

Keeping Sheila in my heart and prayers. Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #112
Jen

Thank you everyone for your continued love and support. It is very hard to see my Mom like this. I think she will be going home from the hospital today they kept her there overnight until they can get oxygen delivered to her home.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #113
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Prayers needed for Sheila AND FOR JEN

Dear Jen,

You are an angel for keeping us all posted. Do not hesitate to vent on this site. We are Sheila's sisters. You too are family. Where would any of us be without our caretakers and biggest supporters -- on the front lines?!

We all understand that when one member of a family is stricken, the whole family suffers. It is so painful to watch someone you love dearly fight for their lives and struggle doing so! It is the hardest thing in the world.

Even as I watched my Mother deteriorate with Alzheimers (not cancer) I was heartbroken. We feel so helpless in certain situations and all we can do is advocate for our loved one and be there for them, with all our hearts.

Jen, you are welcome here any time so vent away. Our hearts are with you. We are grateful for your posts, for the information and for the feelings. Wish I could do better than a cyber hug but that you have. I am holding you tight, cheek to cheek.

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 10-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #114
Jen

Just talked to my Aunt (Sheila's sister) She will be coming home today when they get oxygen delivered and she is signing up for hospice care. Continue to keep Sheila in your prayers.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #115
jml

Oh Sweet Sheila~
You are my sister in this Stage IV Decade-long odyssey and I'm heartbroken over how much you are enduring now.
As has been so eloquently said by our sisters here, we are lifting you up in prayer and comfort, honoring and celebrating your incredible friendship and support you've given us over the years.
Rest easy, my friend, and know how much we are all here praying to ease your burden.
Keep the Faith~

Jessica

ps- Hang in there Jen. I know the burden must be unbearable, but lean on us here. We're here to pray for you and Jas too.
God bless~
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #116
Laurel

Dear Sheila,

All I can say is that I love you. I am praying.

Laurel

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #117
Pray

Dearest Sheila, I too love you so! I'm hoping and praying they are able to keep you comfortable. Just wanted to let you know what a wonderful daughter you have in Jen. What a kind loving woman she is we appreciate her so. I'm sure you couldn't be more proud of a daughter than you are of Jen. My heart is breaking for you and your family. You are so well loved. May the peace of the Lord be with you always
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #118
Emelie B

Hello Jen,
I wanted to chime in here and tell you about my experience with hospice since June of this year. Everyone that I have encountered has been wonderful to me. Very supportive and on top of everything I need to stay comfortable. I have been on continous oxygen since the beginning of Sept. and morphine has been the drug that allows me to live a pretty normal life. I also take dexamethasone for the inflammation in my lungs from the cancer. There are other med's that I take on a daily basis, but I don't think I should post them here. If you want to know more about that, please email me or private message me. I would be glad to share.

As for how I am doing, I am good. I can tell it is progressing because of the lack of oxygen and the fatigue, but we are managing to tile the master bath and have dinner with friends. Pretty good for me. I have to really pace myself and know when to rest and when to go for it.

My nurse visits me once a week to review my meds and make sure I am NOT in any pain and that I am doing well. She also checks in with me at least twice a week just to say "hi". I feel like I am getting better care now than I ever did in regular treatment.

I hope you got my card and passed it on to your Mom, and that you will contact me with any questions you have. We are all here for you Jen, no matter what.

Take care and love to your Mom you are all in my prayers,
Emelie B
March 2007-MRM with 8 of 14 lymph node involvement
May 2007-36 Rads
Sept. 2007- Stopped Herceptin
Jan. 2010- CT scan shows enlarged lymph nodes in sternum and lung involvement
Feb. 2010-PET scan shows mets to liver, lung, lymph nodes and bone
Feb. 2010- Started Herceptin/Taxol and Zometa
April 2010-PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa
June 2010- Stopped Herceptin continue Zometa and still NED
August 2010-Back on Herceptin and Zometa every 3 weeks
August 13, 2010- Had another port placed
August 24, 2010- PET scan clear. Herceptin and Zometa every three weeks
Nov. 2010-PET scan clear
Feb. 2011-Brain MRI clear
March 2011- PET scan clear
May 2011- PET scan clear
Sept. 2011- PET, Mammo, Bone Scan all clear- Herceptin only
March 2012-Recurrence in lungs and tumor around pota hepatis artery. Added Navelbine to herceptin
April 2012- Entered palliative care
June 5, 2012-Entered hospice care
Planning my memorial
Emelie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #119
Mary Anne in TX

God bless you Sheila, Jen and all your family. And God bless and grant peace to all of us here who love those in pain and transition. May we each find a way to cope with what we do not want. I realize more each year that no others can understand as this band of warriors do the journey taken. Luv to each and all.

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #120
Andrea Barnett Budin

Mary Anne, your post was so well stated! Those of us who love someone "in pain and transition" must indeed find a way to deal with unwanted realities. How true that simple idea is! And how towering a goal to reach for!!

I know hospices across this country do the most amazing job at this delicate time. They are angels with a special wisdom that most of us just can't begin to fathom. For the patient, and for the family standing by.

Jen, keep talking to your Mom. Tell her how much she is loved, by so many, and especially by you. (As a Mom, I surely know that there is nothing sweeter than my daughter's lovingkindness to me.)

We all have seen how you adore her, and that is an understatement. I feel certain as well that your Mom treasures you and is beyond proud of how strong you are. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree... Good for you, Jen. You are a role model for others in your family. Never forget that. It is that very concept that kept me going strong throughout my personal battles.

We all send you and your family our support and loving admiration, which will never falter. I am trying, as Mary Anne says, to cope with this most unwanted news about Sheila. Her resolve is such a beautiful thing we've all seen demonstrated over the last decade -- time and time again. Positively remarkable how resilient Sheila has shown us all one can be! The might of the human Spirit is awesome!.

Surely her Spirit is willing, in fact eager, to go on. Her body just isn't cooperating. I pray she will continue to talk to her body (and yes I mean that literally) cause I do believe it's the body's job is to follow the commands of the mind.

I am sending much love,

Andi