HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
weezie1053

Question Another fingernail post....permanent damage

I have read and participated in several threads regarding the damage to our nails caused by chemo. I am just curious if if any of you have had permanent damage to your nails. I completed my Taxol cocktails in Feb 07. Prior to the end of my treatment, I experienced the blackening of the nails (Gothic Barbie) on all ten nails, and I had a really bad infection in my middle finger I use to flick folks off (only kidding). This particular nail had to be drained and I was placed on antibiotics. One year later, the nail is still damaged in that half the nail is white in color, and the other half of the nail is the skin color. The skin often splits like a papercut which I have read other have experienced as well. I regularly use the tea tree oil which does help with the skin cracking; however, nothing seems to change the appearance of the actual nail. Has anybody else had permanent damage done to a nail? My nails are still very short due to the constant splitting, but I can live with that. Just wondering if I am alone insofar as what looks like permanent nail damage???

The good new is that I will be sporting toenails this year with my sandals. Life is good!

Louise
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
hutchibk

Just wondering it this would work, but have you tried any of the Sally Hansen products for nails? Like Hard as Nails or some of the strengthening/healing products they make? I don't know if it would work, but might be worth a shot...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
Joanne S

My finger nails are absolutely horrible. They are thin, they split, break, tear, they are soft and brittle at the same time and my thumbs have ridges.

Don't I know who to whine.

Anyway I keep them very short---unfortunately they still manage to tear or snag to the point they sometimes bleed. I hate it when they break north/south verses across. My toenails are better than my fingernails, but they are brittle and break easily too.

Jo
Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
harrie

After my last tx of taxotere, my nails looked horrible and some were lifting. Used tea tree oil and within a few months they looked just fine.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:28 AM   #5
CoachPlayWin

OK..dumb questions...where do you guys buy tea tree oil? How much does it cost? How often do you apply it? Does it have any side effects? I'm so careful about ANYTHING I put on/in my body these days; just wondering about this stuff. I've heard about it for years as a treatment for toenail fungus, but never tried it. My toenails are an absolute mess after Taxol; black and disgusting. I need to do something.

As an aside, I kept my acrylic fingernails all through treatment, and never had a problem. No fungus, no black spots. Obviously, they look great, too and any little bit helps, doesn't it?!
2/08 BRCA negative
4 AC dose dense 09/06/07-10/18/07
12 weekly Taxol/Herceptin 11/01/07-01/18/08
Herceptin 1 year/done 10/31/08!
2/08 reconstuction
port out 12/4/08
CoachPlayWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
turbo

sounds crazy, but I got gel nails after a year of cracked sore nails and skin..completely against my purest philosophy of using only natural products, but so far no sore or cracked skin...the fake tips may be protecting my skin? Not sure how long this will last....more later!
turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
hutchibk

I get tea tree oil at Whole Foods, near the tictures and essential oils. Any health food store will carry it... I use a Qtip to rub it on my cuticles.

My chemo nurses told me to keep my nails (fingers and toes) polished and to use Hard As Nails w/ the tea tree oil the whole time I was on taxotere... they told me to do it from before I started treatment to a couple of months after treatment was over, and I never had any discolored nails. My nails are a bit fragile and brittle, but that's the only real problem I've had after 6 different kinds of chemo. But I have always had thin nails anyway, they are just a little worse now.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
StephN

Wink Don't think this is permanant

Hi Weezie -
You have only completed your Herceptin in November - about 4 months or so ago.
This is not enough time for your fingernails to grow completely out as new from the cuticle. Toe nails are smaller (except for the great toe) and these will recover faster.

If you will take a supplement for skin and nails, I would bet that you will see much improvement in another couple or three months. It took about 6 - 7 months for my "chemo" nails to get back to normal. I took Nioxin's Hair, Skin and Nail Recharging Complex for years, and have stopped. Now that I have been on Herceptin for so many years, my fingernails are weaker, but not too bad.

I only polish my toe nails. My fingernails do not do well with polish.

Maybe others will post who have been off Herceptin and chemos for a year and see what they have to say.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:34 PM   #9
weezie1053

Smile

Stephn, I used the Nioxin's Hair Products when my hair was coming back in, but I have not heard about the Skin and Nail Recharging Complex. Do you get at a beauty supply store like Trade Secrets or does any drug store sell it with the hair and skin supplies?

Hucklebuck (I couldn't resist after seeing Bill call you that), yes, I have tried the nail strengthners. I buy the OPI nail strengthner at $16.00 a bottle. I am sure it has helped, but my poor nails are still thin and split easily. They are, however, better than a year ago...progress.

I also have been using the tea tree oil more regularly in recent months, and I have seen improvement in preventing the skin on the sides of my nail from splitting and bleeding. My Onc once told me I was a textbook for side affects, but I consider myself lucky that most of them were superficial.

Thanks for the advise. I'll be patient and hopefully the symptons will lessen over time.

Louise
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:06 AM   #10
harrie

By the time of my last chemo, my fingernails started getting ugly. Dark, junk underneath the ends, slightly lifted,...really ugly. I went to this nail salon to see if I could get something to put on the nails and the worker took one look at my nails and told me I had a fungus and he sold me this expensive small bottle of liquid to put on. I was so alarmed I had a FUNGUS!! I took a digial pic and sent it to my oncologist and he said it was NOT a fungus and not to use antifungal meds. He said it was just a reaction to the taxotere and to use tea tree oil which is available at heath food stores or even drug stores. I used it nightly and by a month or so the looked so much better. After several months they looked nice and healthy once again.
Thank GOODNESS it was not a fungus. Online I read how hard fungus is to clear up. BTW, tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic.
Maryanne

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
StephN

Weezie -
I got the Nioxin Hair, Skin and Nails Recharging complex whereever I got the hair products. Usually at my salon, but I noticed they have the Nioxin line at Penneys. Maybe your mall has that store and you can check.

I never found Nioxin products at the regular drug stores, but it is sold online.

I tried NO CRACK - a little pot of a cream from my local pharmacy. It does help with the dry fingertips and cuticles.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #12
sassy

The nails on both big toes have not recovered yet. They are discolored and oddly shaped. My fingernails had remained very soft and split and snagged on everything. I had acrylics for a while, but my nails were probably worse when I stopped the acrylics. I asked the nail tech for something to strengthen my nails. He recommended Nail Tec Foundation II. It has worked really well. No more soft, splitting nails.
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #13
hutchibk

My new dermo (very familiar with cancer patients) told me to try Cetaphil Cream (not lotion) for dry cracked fingertips and cracked heel skin... which I have occasionally had from the Xeloda. It has been simply amazing. I bought a huge tub of it for about $12 and I use it on my feet 3 x week with socks at night and it is the best thing I have used on them yet.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 04-04-2008, 08:56 PM   #14
Catherine

toe nail

Finished Herceptin Dec 07. Nails are getting stronger. But now all of a sudden my big toe nail is "sloughing" off. Actually it is hanging on by a few threads. For now I have it taped down with band aid.

Catherine

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote