HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-08-2007, 07:13 PM   #1
Erin

Hmmmm... this is interesting. I switched three weeks ago from the 3-week herceptin to weekly to try to cut down on the joint pain. That seems to have worked, and I am able to exercise much more comfortably, and yet I have put on 4 pounds in 3 weeks! I had gained around 6 while on chemo and it all came off after I finished. So I had been back to my pre-bc weight until the change in the herceptin routine.... makes me wonder.
SNB 3 nodes clear
Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+++ (FISH 6.8)
ER + / PR +
TCH, 6 rounds, finished 6/1/07!!!
Herceptin to continue for 1 year
36 rads finished 8/22/07
Port out 8/27/07
Switched to Herceptin weekly for joint pain
Ooph 11/13/07
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
Barbara2

I gained around 15-20 pounds while taking herceptin. I, too, have wondered why it hasn't been yet listed as a side effect. It seems on this site, there are many who have reported a weight gain with herceptin.

What convinces me that herceptin may cause weight gain, is when I read about the ladies who report a gain, and say they have "always been thin"..."never have had any issues with weight gain"...etc. and yet they gain weight on herceptin.

Not complaining, of course, because we know what a blessing the drug has been to many, but it would be beneficial to know this side effect; I kept telling my onc I was gaining weight, but yet eating the same as I had before; being real careful, etc. He sent me to an endrocrinologist to check out the thyroid as the numbers were a little high; he didn't want to give me meds; fine with me. My weight kept creeping up, up, up. After completing herceptin, the increases stopped.

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
Esther

Thanks for all your responses, my weight had stayed the same since I graduated from college. I had always been fairly slender. Vitamin H seems to have changed that.

I went off Herceptin to switch to Tykerb, since it crosses the BBB and may have some impact on brain mets.

Once off Herceptin I lost 10 pounds in the first few months. I am back on Herceptin after 5 months off of it due to an increase in liver enzymes, and CA 27-29. A pet/ct scan showed no real measurable liver increased activity, but I think there may have been some minor progession that is too small for the pet/ct to pick up on. I am so sensitive to any changes, and I felt liver pain, nausea and lack of appetite, which for me are signs of liver mets.

I've had 2 weekly infusions of Herceptin so far, and feel 100% better.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
Bev

For the record, lost 5 # on Dx, lost a couple on AC, gained 7# on T & H. Held steady on H alone. Still holding steady. I think for me it was decadron that made my stomach growl continuously. It was actually funny, while eating a meal, my stomach would growl and growl, and I was hungry. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote