HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
Her2Sue

HELP!! Scared! MUGA dropped

Please someone tell me I am gonna survive this! Everything is good as far as my cancer being caught! Clear margins, clear nodes! I am having to do Herceptin for the rest of the year. Well I went for treatment today and Onc said my MUGA dropped to 55. NOW I am SCARED!! How do you get past this fear? I am scared I am gonna fall over dead! What does it mean when our MUGA drops? Is the damage repairable? Somebody please advice!!
Thank you
Susan
Her2Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
naturaleigh

Sue

Nothing to fear. Your diagnosis is much like mine with no node involment and clear margins. My first Mugga was 82, then my second dropped to 50. Scared me to death too. If it drops below 50, they will stop the Herceptin for awhile. They consider anything 50 and above OK. I am like you, it might be ok with them but it was not OK with me!! I considered that too much of a drop so I decided I would have to raise my Mugga myself, I started walking again. It seemed to have helped, my 3rd Mugga was 58%.

One thing you might want to do is to walk everyday, that will help keep your heart pumping and in good shape. It will make you feel better too. My walking helps me to unwind.

I completed my year+ of Herceptin this past May. Once you are off the Herceptin, your heart bounces back.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Since you are on Herceptin, you have completed the hard part!! Congratulations!!

Anita

er, pr-, Her2+++
Stage 2b, grade 3
negative nodes
4 rounds AC
3 months of weekly taxol
1 yr of Herceptin
Finish Herceptin May 2007
35 rounds of Radiation
Reconstruction completed Dec 2007
Implant replaced due to infection Mar 2008
4 Years NED!!!
naturaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Ruth

Susan:

This happened to me also and I had an ECHO done to double check this result from the MUGA. My ECHO showed my heart was fine and I continued the Herceptin for my year. I don't know how common this is but when I was given the ECHO the Dr. stated that sometimes the MUGA is not 100% reliable...what is in life anyway?!

I hope this is the case with you....please don't be scared.

Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
Barbara2

Co-Q10

When taking herceptin, I started taking Co-Q10 which is very good for the heart and has good synergy with herceptin for cardio functions. I think it made the difference for me. During my year of herceptin, I was able to keep the ECHO and MUGA scores above 50, so I could continue with the herceptin.

I've been off herceptin for a year, but have continued the Co-Q10. I think quite a few people take it that are on this message board. Why don't you do a search here, and I think you will find others....

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
Joe
Webmaster

The timing of the MUGA is very important. Try to schedule it just before you are due to receive your Herceptin.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #6
Her2Sue

Thank you for replies!!

Helps to know your not alone in this journey! My onc has my next MUGA scheduled for Oct (2 months instead of 3 this time) BUT I will still be doing my Herceptin every 3 weeks until then. UGHHH!
Joe my Onc has always sceduled my MUGA the week before one of my herceptins. HAHA TOO bad I can't get a muga daily for a bit!! LOL that would help with the sanity!!
Love you all
Susan
Her2Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
Angela

My muga dropped to 50.7 but I am still receiving Herceptin. I have a cardiologist who has put me on Coreg (a beta blocker for the heart). He said that a study was done showing that cancer patients taking Coreg and Herceptin did not have much of a drop in their Mugas. I was not put on Coreg until after my muga dropped because I didn't go to the cardiologist until I had the decrease in the muga.

Dx May 2003 at age 39
Lt mastectomy, no nodes
DCIS, PR- ER- Her+++
4 rounds AC
Recurrence Dec 2006 Rt lung
2/07 - 3 Brain mets - Radiation
3/07 -
Carboplatin and Herceptin
8/07- mets stable. Finished Carboplatin-remain on Herceptin
12/07 - Herceptin only
5/08 - Lung mets grew - tykerb and Navilbene. Reaction to Tykerb -9/08 Herceptin again
12/08 - Lung mets growing - xeloda.
8/09 - Given Zometa for precaution
10/09 - Lung mets back plus new ones. - Put back on Xeloda.
1/10 – Began short-term disability

2/10 –Lung mets growing - Gemzar
9/2010 – Scan show tumors in lungs growing. Put on Ixempra (every 3 weeks). MRI of the brain showed a brain bleed but it had stopped bleeding.

Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:21 AM   #8
Shad

I have had a similar journey with concern about dropping MUGA scores during chemo and Herceptin therapy (58%, 51%, 51% ---- 62% after Herceptin completed). I am under the impression that as long as we stay above the lower limits of normal (I think above 45 or 50%) that our physicians are likely going to continue chemo and/or Herceptin therapy. We, who are under the pressures of this whole ordeal, tend to cling and even obscess over the fluctuations in the MUGA scores, concerned that the potential cardiotoxicity of chemo (Adria) and Herceptin are going to make our journey even harder. I wonder if, as long as our scores are in the normal range, we should "relax" ha ha and concentrate on positive thinking of healing.
I, too, as a result of postings from this group (thank you) started taking Co-Q and fish oil, and found exercise to be very helpful in my well being.
Shad
4 rounds of A/C, 1 year of Herceptin.
1/07 Started on Femara - severe lethargy
4/07 Switiched to Arimidex - doing OK
5/07 DIEP free flap reconstruction with tummy tuck!
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
kat in the delta

Location: MS Delta in Clarksdale="Home of the Blues" (near Memphis,TN)by Misssissippi River/levee's highest pt.
Unhappy Kat in the Delta

What exactly is the MUGA ? I had a heart test done where they injected dye and then ran a machine over me for about 20 min...it was scanning my heart... Is that it ?? I told my Onc. that I read where Her2+ patients getting Herceptin were having a MUGA done every 3 mos., but he only ordered 1 before and I think I only had 1 or 2 of these HEART scans.... during 1 yr + 2 months of herceptin....
I recently asked the Sec. for a copy of some of my tests..
and I just saw my LAST heart score was in the 40's . I did not know this at that time -about one yr..ago. the Onc. kept giving me my final 3 or so... herceptins full strength...altho' I asked him to scan me because at least I knew he had not ordered a heart scan for a while but was still giving me the Herceptin.
When I would ask him.... He'd refused, and said I did NOT need another scan.and he told me my last scan was Good...He added that I would be fine and "stop worrying"..which he gives as an answer to all my ?'s
Please someone... Explain the Muga and the Scores...
My blood pressure is always high now even with BP meds....
I feel out of breath if I do too much, my circulation is poor..I have brown patches on my swollen ankles eventho I am very thin.and now on 2 diurectics, and I have a knawing ache all over..but Onc says he cannot give me even 1 pain pill as Tumor Markers show..no cancer ---......almost forgot to say...
my memory or chemo-brain which hasn't improved .....may be really--my poor circulation.!!!
I feel like I am ADD/ALHEIMERS....
ANYONE WILLING TO COMMENT....????
My 4 men think I am NUTS.and LOOK at me with disgusting looks....... which makes my whole situation worse.--.they will not lift a finger.
My house is in chaos. from them movin from college and apts......
I think my mind and body are in Shut-down mode ... takes me too long..to do things and get out of the house... I have almost given up..
kat in the delta

Last edited by kat in the delta; 08-11-2007 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: left out
kat in the delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #10
janet11

Kat, have you gone to your primary care doctor (not your onc)? When i started having blood pressure problems, my onc sent me to my PCP (who would then have referred me to a cardiologist if I needed it). But we got it resolved on this level, then he sent a note to my onc that I could continue with the chemo.

Good luck,
Janet

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #11
janet11

Hmm... went to my primary care dr today and she put me on CoReg. Wish I had found out about this earlier -- I might have been able to continue with the Herception. Oh well, if I don't need Herceptin ever again, then I had enough. And if I DO need it again (for a recurrance), hopefully the CoReg will keep my heart going well enough to be able to tolerate it.

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #12
BonnieR

Okay everybody, I need some clarification here. I had a echocardiogram several months ago to check on a mytral valve issue. It was okay. Then the cancer diagnosis happened. Now I have had 3 doses of Herceptin. I asked yesterday when they will check my cardiac function again and I was told "after 6 months on Herceptin. And then after a year on it" (Which will be the END of my course!). Does that seem right to you? I seem to be doing alot of double checking and finding things that need attention....
and how is a MUGA different from an echocardiogram?

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #13
janet11

They scheduled mine every 3 months. (or that was the plan anyway)

Jan 2007:
Old 09-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #14
dhealey

Bonnie, My onc has me get an echo every three months. The first one was when I finished 2 months of adramyacin which also affects the heart. Then I started herceptin and have continued with the echos every three months. My onc said if the ejection fraction got below 50 we would stop the herceptin for awhile. So far I have stayed in the mid 60's actually improved last time since I started walking more and taking fish oil. I am having another echo this Friday along with some other scans. Will let you know how it turns out.
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:28 PM   #15
BonnieR

Kat, I don't understand why you can't have medication if you are experiencing pain. Just cause there is "no cancer" doesn't mean we don't have pain from the treatments themselves. Or other causes. As someone suggested, maybe it is time to see your GP....

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #16
kcherub

Joe,

I have a question to your post...I am not sure about the difference between and ECHO and a MUGA, but I have Herceptin this Friday and an ECHO on Monday. Will my "score" be off, and should I try to have it tomorrow if at all possible? I am overdue for it, so I can't wait another three weeks...

Thanks!
ER/PR 90%+ HER2 +
6 TCH started 5/25/2007, ended after #5 due to steroid "reactions" and neuropathy in feet and hands
BUT--#6 CH w/o Taxotere
Begin Herceptin alone 9/28/2007
30 rads completed 12/19/2007
Finish Herceptin 5/9/2008
Stopped Tamoxifen early--HATED it.
Married 17 years
13-year old son
3 embies on ice (from 1999)
GA, USA

kcherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #17
Gerri

Bonnie,

I received Herceptin every three weeks and had an echo every three months, always done a week prior to infusion. My onc told me at my last checkup in June that the new guidelines recommend continuing with the echos until a year out of Herceptin. I see my onc again on Friday and had my echo done last week.

ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #18
Joanne S

I too was having Mugas every three months. Three months ago my muga fell from 56 to 46 so my onc sent me to a cardiologist and put my Herceptin on hold. I had an echocardiogram as the cardiologist said it was more accurate than the mugas. The echo showed EF of 50 so I was able to continue with the Herceptin two weeks later. Now that it's three months since my last echo, I had another echo today and will get the results next week to find out if I can have my next scheduled Herceptin. Every three months is the normal follow-up with Herceptin, you may want to discuss this further with your oncologist, primary doctor or get a second opinion from another oncologist. Best to you.
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #19
Catherine

Get a new oncologist?

Kat,

Your oncologist sounds like an old grump. I think he should be more open to your questions. I try to ask my questions in a very business like approach. I read about someone today who writes their questions down in blue. Then goes to the doctor and writes the answers in red. Well my questions are not color coded, but all my research and questions are in sequential order and dated. I can always refer to the answer I go, because I do forget. I would recommend seeing your primary and asking for another oncologist, you need some support.

I get Herceptin every 3 weeks and a muga every 3 months.

Put yourself first and let those men make their own dinner and wash their own clothes,

All the best,Catherine

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #20
Alice

Kat,
Sounds to me like you need an onc that cares. I have never had a mugua I only had echos every 3 months. One difference is the muguas use radioactive die. I have kidney issues with the dies so my Dr. tries to keep clear of those when possible. She also said that herceptin can stay in the bloodstream in measurable amounts for up to a year after the last infusion.
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote