HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #81
phil

Re: TDM-1 side effects

Hi Katy, I am Phil's wife Lorraine and I started TDM-1 in Fairfax 2 years ago. The people are great there. Do you see Bridget , Stacey, and Dr. Robert? If you do please tell them Lorraine from MGH in Boston says "hi and I am still NED!" I have the dry mouth too and Biotene mouthwash and spray both work very well. My best to you, Lorraine
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:56 AM   #82
katymc

Thanks for the post Lorraine - yes, they are a great bunch! Did you move and have to leave the trial? I forget the names of the nurses I've seen so far but I will tell Dr. Robert that we've "talked". How encouraging to be NED after 2 years. I've often thought that the scariest words in the english language must be "my oncologist" but then we have the most exciting when you're told you're "NED" - that's my hope for me and all of us on this trial. Are you still on TDM1? Have a lovely day and take care of yourself. Katy
katymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #83
phil

HI Katy, I was in fairfax for a year because they closed expanded axcess and fairfax was one of 13 sites that still had it opened. I traveled for 14 months to get my treatment. It was well wotth it. Fianlly I was able to come back to Boston in Jan of this year. Stacey and Bridget are the research co ordinators not nurses they were awesome. I believe you are right NED is a wonderful word. God is so good. Lorraine
Old 12-18-2012, 03:47 AM   #84
Mandamoo

Bumping this up for 7and counting.
22 February 2011 - Diagnosed Early Breast Cancer IDBC Stage2b (ER/PR -ve, Her2+ve +++) - 38 years old
(L) skin sparing mastectomy with tissue expander, axilla clearance (2/14 affected) clear margins.
Fec*3, Taxotere and herceptin*2 - stopped due to secondary diagnosis

June 24 2011 Stage IV - Skin met, axilla node, multiple lung lesions

Bolero3 trial - Navelbine, Hereptin weekly, daily Everolimus/Placebo
February 2012 - July 2012 Tykerb and Xeloda - skin mets resolved, Lungs initially dramatically reduced but growing again
August 2012 (turn 40!) tykerb and herceptin (denied compassionate use of TDM1) while holidaying in Italy!
September 2012 - January 2013 TDM1 as part of the Th3resa trial - lymph nodes resolved, lungs slowly progressing.
January 2013 - herceptin, carboplatin and Perjeta (compassionate access)
April 2013 - Some progression in lungs and lymph nodes - Abraxane, Herceptin and Perjeta
July 2013 - mixed response - dramatic reduction of most lung disease, progression of smaller lung nodules and cervical and hilar nodes - ? Add avastin.
Mandamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #85
waterdreamer

Updating, I just did my 27th round of TDM-1 and I am feeling really good. However, my CEA markers are rising, they are now around 13, so I need to do a scan and figure out if there may be trouble brewing.
Nov 2009 Mets to lungs and bones.
Dec 2009 Start Taxotere and Herceptin, T1, T3 heal completely and lungs are clear, T2 and first rib have lytic lesions. First rib becomes sclerotic. Considered stable.
May 2011, Onc calls progression and I cross over from comparison arm of clinical trial to TDM-1
Brain scan in Sept 2011 showed small tumor in right cerebellum, did Novalis radiation.

Feb 2013 < 1cm tumor in left frontal lobe. Did Novalis in March and latest scan shows no sign of brain metastasis.
Aug 2013 did 36th round of TDM-1 Due to TDM-1 side effects, shortness of breath, and difficulty getting my balance when getting out of bed, agreed with my oncologist to stop TDM-1.
Took a six week break, bone scan showed small uptake on left first rib. CT showed hypodensities in liver (too small to biopsy) and small nodule in lungs (mediastinal).
Started Navelbine weekly. Did one round with Herceptin.
Skipped next 2 rounds, due to neutropenia. Next chemo 7th Nov - have had 3 Neupogen shots, so WBC should look better... Did not tolerate Navelbine well.
December 2013 scans show no sign of active cancer.
March 2014 - currently only on Herceptin - brain MRI clear, PET/CT two nodules in right lung show uptake
May 2014 - stop Herceptin.
Sept 22, 2014 Brain MRI clear :) PET/CT Progression in lungs.
Sept 2014, Xeloda, Tykerb and Herceptin.
Nov 2014 - Decide to take a break from all treatment.
May 2015 - Brain met radiated with Novalis
July 2015 - Have progression in right lung.
Sept 2015 - Perjeta and Herceptin alone after a 9 month break from all treatment.
Nov 2015 - Thoracentesis 1500ml removed from right lung.
Dec 2015 - Two tiny 1mm brain mets radiated in right cerebellum.
Feb 2016 - Thoracentesis 2200ml drained from right lung
Feb 2016 - Stopped Perjeta and Herceptin and started back on Kadcyla as I had no previous progression on it. After 1 cycle of Kadcyla markers begin to drop. On second cycle add Keytruda.
March 2016 - Thoracentesis 1650ml drained from right lung.
April 2016 – Thoracentesis 1500 ml drained from right lung.
June 2016 – CT scan shows progression in right lung, as well as moderate pleural effusion requiring Thoracentesis.
June 2016 – Decide to stop Keytruda, and will do chemosensitivity test through Rational Therapeutics. Plan to continue on Kadcyla for next two cycles.
July 2016 - Start weekly Abraxane with Herceptin. WBRT with hippocampal sparing, Taking Namenda. 15 sessions over 3 weeks.
Aug - Dec 2016 - 2 infusions of Navelbine, very hard on my body and still dealing with anasarca (generalized edema) 1 infusion of Havalen
My doctor wants to put me on hospice.
Dec 23rd 2016 - I am granted compassionate use of Neratanib.
May 31st 2017 - still on Neratinib, feeling good.
waterdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #86
KDR

My guess is rapid cell die off. I've found fluctation with T-DM1.

You're gonna be good!

Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #87
phil

So glad you are still on t dm-1 . I agree w/ karen, could be cell die off. Lorrraines markers dropped dramatically w/ start of t dm-1, but bumped up when she had sepsis ( blood infection ). dropped down after sepsis cleared. could it be related to the lung inflammation ? our doc hasnt even done markers in 9 months , since Lorraines eap closed and she went into the extension or rollover study.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #88
waterdreamer

I did my 28th round of TDM-1 today at 3.0 as my CT scans are clear. My bones still show damage where the cancer was and if it were not for the bones, I would be NED. I think it is harder to determine with the bones, if you are indeed cancer free. I do not have the results of my latest CEA's. I made a deal with my doctor, that if the CEA's were still rising I would do a brain MRI, but if they were not, then I could hold off on that a little longer.
The other good news is that my platelets went from 100 to 129 in 3 weeks, so I am really happy about that. Also my liver enzymes are returning to normal, with only the AST being elevated at 48 when the range should be 13 - 39. My doc mentioned that the elevated CEA's could be due to some sort of infection that was going on, cancer cells dying or cancer cells growing. I am feeling really good and am so grateful to be on this trial. I cannot wait for it to be approved. For those of you on TDM-1 please share what blood results are flagged and if they change. I also dropped the amount of magnesium/potassium I was taking and got such bad cramps in my toes, I was in agony and couldn't walk. As soon as I bumped the Potassium/Mag mix up, it went away.
Dec 2009 Start Taxotere and Herceptin, T1, T3 heal completely and lungs are clear, T2 and first rib have lytic lesions. First rib becomes sclerotic. Considered stable.
May 2011, Onc calls progression and I cross over from comparison arm of clinical trial to TDM-1
Brain scan in Sept 2011 showed small tumor in right cerebellum, did Novalis radiation.

Feb 2013 < 1cm tumor in left frontal lobe. Did Novalis in March and latest scan shows no sign of brain metastasis.
Aug 2013 did 36th round of TDM-1 Due to TDM-1 side effects, shortness of breath, and difficulty getting my balance when getting out of bed, agreed with my oncologist to stop TDM-1.
Took a six week break, bone scan showed small uptake on left first rib. CT showed hypodensities in liver (too small to biopsy) and small nodule in lungs (mediastinal).
Skipped next 2 rounds, due to neutropenia. Next chemo 7th Nov - have had 3 Neupogen shots, so WBC should look better... Did not tolerate Navelbine well.
March 2014 - currently only on Herceptin - brain MRI clear, PET/CT two nodules in right lung show uptake
Sept 2015 - Perjeta and Herceptin alone after a 9 month break from all treatment.
Feb 2016 - Stopped Perjeta and Herceptin and started back on Kadcyla as I had no previous progression on it. After 1 cycle of Kadcyla markers begin to drop. On second cycle add Keytruda.
June 2016 – CT scan shows progression in right lung, as well as moderate pleural effusion requiring Thoracentesis.
June 2016 – Decide to stop Keytruda, and will do chemosensitivity test through Rational Therapeutics. Plan to continue on Kadcyla for next two cycles.
July 2016 - Start weekly Abraxane with Herceptin. WBRT with hippocampal sparing, Taking Namenda. 15 sessions over 3 weeks.
Aug - Dec 2016 - 2 infusions of Navelbine, very hard on my body and still dealing with anasarca (generalized edema) 1 infusion of Havalen
Old 01-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #89
KDR

Fern
All in all, this sounds like great news! Keep going, dear friend!
You are an inspiration to many-mainly me,
Love
Karen
Old 01-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #90
Eva Sophia

Smile Re: TDM-1 side effects

I have been on the Marianne study - TDM-1 plus/minus pertuzumab since April 2011 - 22months. I think that puts me at about 30 doses. Overall, I've been very good on it - with no nausea, hair loss at all. The fatigue has become an issue, particularly since month 19. I also developed a blood disorder around month 3. It appeared as a "rash" which has been diagnosed as telangectasias (broken capillary vessels) all over my chest and hands and on my face as well. Also, I bleed very easily, like my blood is thin and doesn't clot well. They ran a whole series of tests that show that I do clot, but just not normally.

Since you asked, here are my abnormal lab results from my last draw on Monday - they have all been very stable throughout.
Hemoglobin 10.3
Hematocrit 31.5
RDW 18.9
%Monocytes 18.2
Albumin 3.8
ALT 82
AST 107

I hope that helps. Would love to hear from others who have bleeding issues or fatigue after a long time on TDM-1.

I have been NED since my very first scan after getting on the drug!

Jun 08: stage IIb diagnosis at age 36
Jun-nov08: fec+taxol+ herceptin for one year
Dec08: lumpectomy and axillary lymph node dissection
Mar 09: radiation
Feb09-nov10: NED on tamoxifen and zometa every six months
Nov10: stage iv w 2 breast recur and mets to sternum and spine
Dec10: oopherectomy (ovary removal). Started femara
Jan11: cyberknife to spine and sternum
Apr 11: TDM-1plus minus pertuzumab Marianne study
June11: breast lumps gone. Bone activity way down.
Nov11: NED
Jan 13: Still in study. Dose reduce to 3.0 from 3.6
Eva Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #91
phil

my wife Lorraine is doing great on t dm-1 , 26 months, ned over a yr. sounds like you are having low platelets, like her. red rash, bloody noses, etc. she reduced to 3.0 back in 2010. she was in an eap " trial " , now in an extension study . last 3 doses she and others w/ low plats have been granted an "exception " , if her plats are below 75,000 , she can wait a week or two , to get them over 75,000. went 4 weeks, then 5 weeks , then 4 weeks, and plats have risen some already. ( normal is 150,000 + ). we hope to go to every 4 weeks after appr. Lorraine follows a diet of some top quality , bone-in red meat, greens, berries , nuts, pineapple. sharks liver oil , chlorophyll from health food store. 1000mg folic acid. works well with red counts which may give u more energy. works ok w/ plats. when L. gets close to 100,000 plats, those red " rashes ' or capllaries fade some. ask your doc what your plats have been. they clot blood. think about telling your story . PM me to tell it , its a travesty that this drug hasn't been appr. costs so many lives. God Bless , good luck.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #92
Eva Sophia

Phil, my platelet count has actually remained normal - it was 195k last check. But when they did the advanced blood work, they found out it wasn't clotting correctly...so while there are a good number of them, they appear damaged / not working right - and so therefore my clotting is compromised.

I'm in the Marianne study so I can only skip so many sessions. Right now, I've been getting treated every other time, which is the minimum to stay in the study. And they just lowered my dose to 3.0.

I heard that I'm the last patient still in the study at my site, so I'm glad to hear there are other with 2+ years on the drug. With the weird side effects with my blood and the fatigue they say they can't explain (because my counts are not very low), it makes me worried that we don't really know what going on with me.

I would be happy to "tell my story" - just not really sure where the best place to do so is.

I would also be happy to learn more about your wife's story.

Jun 08: stage IIb diagnosis at age 36
Jun-nov08: fec+taxol+ herceptin for one year
Dec08: lumpectomy and axillary lymph node dissection
Mar 09: radiation
Feb09-nov10: NED on tamoxifen and zometa every six months
Nov10: stage iv w 2 breast recur and mets to sternum and spine
Dec10: oopherectomy (ovary removal). Started femara
Jan11: cyberknife to spine and sternum
Apr 11: TDM-1plus minus pertuzumab Marianne study
June11: breast lumps gone. Bone activity way down.
Nov11: NED
Jan 13: Still in study. Dose reduce to 3.0 from 3.6
Eva Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #93
phil

even tho your plats are unusual, the result is similar to Lorraines low plats . your plats are not healthy. glad your team is giving u extra tiem . stage iv's deserve flexibility , esp. if response is so good. i suggest you start a diet similar to what we do, the diet works very well w/ red counts like rbc, hemoglobin, hematocrit. L.'s red counts are higher than yours, normal range. that helps w/ energy. we recommend especially sharks liver oil, 2 tabs a day. red meat , L . doesnt like it , but she can go vegetarian in 2014 !! marinate kale in olive oil, spinach. may help give healthier plats too. e-mail me at pmccartinjr@comcast.net to talk about stories . we are collecting , planning. You and Lorraine are some of avery lucky few , many do not know how lucky they are , This FDA needs to be changed, so others get the chance at new drugs in the future.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #94
phil

BTW , your liver enzymes are similar to Lo's. irritation from drug , not to worry about.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #95
Shaysmom

Hi All,

So glad to read the side effects . Tdm1 is my 11th chemo. I have ovarian mets, lung nodules, effusion, adrenal mets, large mediastinal lymphnode that compresses my esophagus plus others, lymph node bw stomach and liver, stomach mets and possible colon mets. GI mets have me losing 60 pounds in one year.

I'm about to have my third tdm1 effusion. I'm on Teresa trial since 3/2012 but was on physicians choice arm which was Gemzar and herceptin. That gave me five great months. Then progressed but not 20% so had to stay on Gemzar another six weeks even though every met was larger, six weeks later new mets. But it was 9/2012 and the addendum to allow crossover was not out, in fact univ of PEnn didn't approve it until end Nov.
So I did perjeta, herceptin and taxotere until jan 2013 when I was able to crossover.
CT scan in Dec showed stability. No scans yet on TDM1. I don't scan often. No pet in a year and ct scan every three months except when requires more frequently by trial. Brain scan was year ago. Tumor markers are unreliable have been normal always.

I always get odd side effects. TDM1 for me has caused headaches, severe dry eyes and blurry vision. Sore throat one day after tx, dry mouth and horrible leg cramps and pain in my hips. Blood work is good. Chest heaviness and fatigue.
My body is beat up. I sleep every day I nap, some days I can't get out of bed. Always have two days of the chest heaviness. Scared me this Sat so happy others have it and eye issues bc I need better drops. First cycle they thought it was pink eye but now I know it's not started up right after second tx, they are dry and itch.
Blood work is OK. Echo was fine.
I am almost out of drugs and I want to see my son turn 13 this summer. He has been having anxiety with me and want to get him more support.
How bad were headaches with this . I may ask for brain scan but if its positive I lose TDM1. Wish it was approved so I didn't feel like I was giving up my shot at it. I have about 3 days with bad aches over the 21 days. Not every day. They are diffuse.

Thanks
Kelly
10/02 dx with mets to ovaries
10/02-10/09 Herceptin, cancer NED or stable
11/09 dx mets for 3cm medisternal mass,
start Xeloda and Herceptin
07/10 dx with mets to adrenal gland and suspicious nodules in pleural stay on Xeloda and watch
11/10 more progression
12/10 start Abraxne Herceptin once week 3 weeks one week off.
10/6/11 PET showed adrenal is very active and new mets in internal mammary
11/1/11 Start tykerb and Aromasin
2/2012 endo dx stomachmets.
3/2012 randomized to non tdm1 arm of Teresa trial.
Started Gemzar
7/27/2012 progression but too small to switch
9/10/2012 now new lymphnode b/w stomach and liver off Gemzar Still no TDM1 crossover
10/3/2012. started perjeta, herceptin, taxotere
12/2012 losing weight from constant big D, scans are stable
1/3/2013 start TDM-1 xover for Teresa trial.
Shaysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #96
Sdgirl

Kelly,
I horrible headaches. I do not know if it is related to tdm1. I do have brain mes and got a scan on Friday. They are still present but the onc does not think mets are causing headaches. The EAP does let you have tx if you get brain mets but the rules are iffy. I understand how you feel. I hope you get relief soon. Good luck
Sdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #97
waterdreamer

So, I have an update on those rising CEA levels. There was reason to be concerned. I have a 09 x 0.8 x 0.7cm tumor on my left frontal lobe. So I am about to start the whole approval, neurologist visit, radiation (Novalis) experience. I am doing round 29 of TDM-1 tomorrow, so I will update on those rising CEA's.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #98
KDR

Fern,
You are still winning...zap those mets Novalis style...speak with you soon, all will be alright,
Love
Karen
Old 02-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #99
Mandamoo

Wishing you well with the Novalis!
22 February 2011 - Diagnosed Early Breast Cancer IDBC Stage2b (ER/PR -ve, Her2+ve +++) - 38 years old
(L) skin sparing mastectomy with tissue expander, axilla clearance (2/14 affected) clear margins.
Fec*3, Taxotere and herceptin*2 - stopped due to secondary diagnosis

June 24 2011 Stage IV - Skin met, axilla node, multiple lung lesions

Bolero3 trial - Navelbine, Hereptin weekly, daily Everolimus/Placebo
February 2012 - July 2012 Tykerb and Xeloda - skin mets resolved, Lungs initially dramatically reduced but growing again
August 2012 (turn 40!) tykerb and herceptin (denied compassionate use of TDM1) while holidaying in Italy!
September 2012 - January 2013 TDM1 as part of the Th3resa trial - lymph nodes resolved, lungs slowly progressing.
January 2013 - herceptin, carboplatin and Perjeta (compassionate access)
April 2013 - Some progression in lungs and lymph nodes - Abraxane, Herceptin and Perjeta
July 2013 - mixed response - dramatic reduction of most lung disease, progression of smaller lung nodules and cervical and hilar nodes - ? Add avastin.
Mandamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #100
waterdreamer

Novalis is amazing. I am so grateful to have access to it. I am also so fortunate that it is isolated in one spot. I do have horrible headaches from the brain met, but they are intermittent. Thanks for all your support. I am feeling confident that this is the last brain met I am going to have to deal with. My experience, diet is crucial, and we have to stay away from sugars and processed foods. Happy Valentines day everyone.