HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Lani

Thumbs up like Goldilocks&3bears, 12 months of herceptin seems...not too much, not too little..

just right

Lancet Oncol. 2013 Jun 10. pii: S1470-2045(13)70225-0. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(13)70225-0. [Epub ahead of print]
6 months versus 12 months of adjuvant trastuzumab for patients with HER2-positive early breast cancer (PHARE): a randomised phase 3 trial.
Pivot X, Romieu G, Debled M, Pierga JY, Kerbrat P, Bachelot T, Lortholary A, Espié M, Fumoleau P, Serin D, Jacquin JP, Jouannaud C, Rios M, Abadie-Lacourtoisie S, Tubiana-Mathieu N, Cany L, Catala S, Khayat D, Pauporté I, Kramar A; the PHARE trial investigators.
Source
University Hospital J Minjoz, Besançon, France. Electronic address: xavier.pivot@univ-fcomte.fr.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Since 2005, 12 months of adjuvant trastuzumab has been the standard treatment for patients with HER2-positive early-stage breast cancer. However, the optimum duration of treatment has been debated. We did a non-inferiority trial of a shorter exposure of 6 months versus the standard 12 months of trastuzumab for patients with early breast cancer.
METHODS:
We did an open-label, randomised, phase 3 trial in 156 centres in France. Patients with HER2-positive early breast cancer who had received at least four cycles of chemotherapy, had breast-axillary surgery, and had received up to 6 months of trastuzumab (administered by intravenous infusions over 30-90 min every 3 weeks; initial loading dose 8 mg/kg; 6 mg/kg thereafter) before randomisation were eligible. Patients were randomly assigned via central randomisation procedure with web-based software to continue trastuzumab for another 6 months (12 months total duration; control group) or to discontinue trastuzumab at 6 months (6 months total duration; experimental group). Randomisation was stratified by concomitant or sequential administration of trastuzumab with chemotherapy, oestrogen-receptor status, and centre using a minimisation algorithm. The primary endpoint was disease-free survival, with a prespecified non-inferiority margin of 1·15. Analyses were done in the intention-to-treat population. This study is registered at ClinicalTrials.gov, number NCT00381901.
FINDINGS:
1691 patients were randomly assigned to receive 12 months of trastuzumab and 1693 to receive 6 months of trastuzumab; 1690 patients in each group were included in the intention-to-treat analyses. After a median follow-up of 42·5 months (IQR 30·1-51·6), 175 disease-free survival events were noted in the 12-month group and 219 in the 6-month group. 2-year disease-free survival was 93·8% (95% CI 92·6-94·9) in the 12-month group and 91·1% (89·7-92·4) in the 6-month group (hazard ratio 1·28, 95% CI 1·05-1·56; p=0·29). 119 (93%) of the 128 cardiac events (clinical or based on assessment of left ventricular ejection fraction) occurred while patients were receiving trastuzumab. Significantly more patients in the 12-month group experienced a cardiac event than did those in the 6-month group (96 [5·7%] of 1690 patients vs 32 [1·9%] of 1690 patients, p<0·0001).
INTERPRETATION:
After 3·5 years follow-up, we failed to show that 6 months of treatment with trastuzumab was non-inferior to 12 months of trastuzumab. Despite the higher rates of cardiac events, 12 months of adjuvant trastuzmab should remain the standard of care.
FUNDING:
French National Cancer Institute.
Copyright © 2013 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
PMID: 23764181
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
suzan w

Re: like Goldilocks&3bears, 12 months of herceptin seems...not too much, not too litt

Good to know! I got it «just right»!!!!! Thanks for posting this, Lani!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Becky

Re: like Goldilocks&3bears, 12 months of herceptin seems...not too much, not too litt

But I wonder if more may be better - taking women to the 2 year mark.

For example, I started Herceptin late because it was not available and I got in the "no Herceptin" arm of the trial. My last chemo was Feb 1, 2005. Then in May, 2005, everything changed with the results of the 3 adjuvant Herceptin trials becoming public at the 2005 ASCO meeting in May. I quickly moved and got Herceptin alone starting in June 2005. In August 2005, I had my ovaries removed to be able to take Arimidex. This began in September 2005. There had been a trial (using metastatic women of which I am not) showing that the combo of Arimidex and Herceptin (only) for a year did wonders (plus being 50% ER positive but PR neg bodes better for an AI over Tamoxifen). So, to be on that combo for a year meant I would need a few more doses of Herceptin. And, ironically, if I could obtain 4 more (every three week) doses, not only did it put me at a full year on Arimidex/Herceptin but also brought me just beyond my 2 year mark. My oncologist agreed since the first 2 years is the highest risk of recurrence too. Somehow, my insurance allowed it so I ended up being on Herceptin for 16 months.

Just wondering. I know the Hera trial published 2 years of Herceptin results with the results that even though 2 years is slightly better, it was not statistically significant. And the Hera trial is different than the other trials as in Hera, Herceptin was given after Chemotherapy and not with chemo.

Who knows what the exact right thing is but I am nearing my 9 year mark and I am still here (and did not get Herceptin with my chemo but 4 months after chemo was done and 2 months after radiation was done).

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
tricia keegan

Thanks Lani and I was wondering that too Becky.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:05 AM   #5
sarah

Interesting. Up until this study, tests had been showing that shorter was just as good. I'll be curious to learn what the hospital here does. Herceptin wasn't around for non-metatstic people the first time around for me and I asked about it several times but I did get it with the recurrence (metatastic) and had it for 6 years - had been told it would be for life at first. Like Becky, I'm now about 9 out from the recurrence.
Interestingly I saw my onc last week and he said that right now there is nothing available for NED people as a preventative but he seems to feel that this will come down the line sometime. Maybe the vaccine???
Old 06-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
vballmom

Thanks for posting this. I had a Herceptin holiday due to a lowered EF, but my cardiologist monitoring me said I'm good to stay on. I was hoping to see that shorter was as good, but at least now there is a solid study to keep me even more motivated to stay on it for my year's worth of doses.
vballmom is offline   Reply With Quote