HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
IrvineFriend

Question Effexor anyone???

I'm having terrible hot flashes but that seems small compared the side effects I'm reading about. I also went on Ritalin at the same time as my last chemo (TCH #4) really kicked me in the butt and working is/was getting very hard and I have a position where I have to be very focused. I think I can live with the hot flahes, because the Effexor is making me tired and nauseas. I need help with fatique more than dry clothes and I can handle tossing off my hat/scarf/wig and go bald if need be.

Any experience with Effexor or Ritalin?

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: Effexor anyone???

I am always tired. Since I was a teen. I now believe it is chronic fatigue syndrome in my case. I take a # of supplements and they help tremendously!!! PLEASE SEE MY -- WHY I TAKE SUPPLEMENTS thread.

You have a lot of chemicals charging at you, Julie. Hard to pinpoint what's coming from where. But had to share my experience w/Effexor. I had a friend who was on it, and she was seriously loopy, out of it. I told her to stop the E.

I went online and found a petition from others who felt that drug should be withdrawn from the market. I signed the petition, I felt that passionately about the drug.

Yet, others I know are on it and say they are fine. We are each different. Varying reactions to various drugs.

Let us know what you do, please. We'll be thinking of you.

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
linn65

Take the effexor at night it will help with SE with it. My hot flashes are much better now and this is my 3rd month on tamox.
7/20/12 biopsy done. ER+ 30 PR -, HER+++,k167 80% Grade 2
9/2012 biopsy on lymph node - showed malignant

9/2012 Pre-adjunctive TCH chemo.

12/6/12 MRI after Pre-adj.
Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

12/18/2012 left masectomy with axillary nodes
Size 3.2 CM, Nottingham score 9/9
Grade 3, no evidence of in situ carcinoma
Areas of angiolymphatic are identified
Carcinoma is 0.5 cm from inked deep
Margin of excision
Attached axillary lymph nodes: metastatic
Carcinoma in 6 of 8 nodes.
Size of largest node 1.5 cm
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

2/27/13 6 weeks of IMRT radiation finished

2/2013 Started on Tamoxifan 5 years.

8/2013 will take last Herceptin, 17 treatments total every 3 weeks.

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

August 28, 2013 DIEP flap on the left breast.
February 2014 Nip & Tuck
March 14, 2014 nipple reconstruction and removed port.
August 14, 2014 lump in lymph nodes under arm and above clavicle. Stage IV
August 28, 2014 herceptin And projeta starting and port put back in.

3/18/15 stopped arimidex.
3/18/15 progression....Tdm1
linn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
IrvineFriend

Thanks for the replies. I'll think about the Effexor after TCH, but I've read the side effects and it sounds brutal. More worried about what it will be like going OFF that drug.

I've never had a problem with energy. I have always had lots of it, can't even tolerate a cup of coffee in the AM. After my last dose of TCH (#4), I have not recovered. I'm taking neupogen and still have low counts, almost to where I couldn't have my last dose.

I think my work stress does not help things especially as I get more tired.

Andi, I'm going through all your posts on supplements and will get on that website and order them. Thank you for taking all that time to keep it updated with new information but I need to print it out and make a list.

I have some fish/rice to nibble on throughout the day and hopefully by Monday I'll feel better. My last cylce was on a Thursday as well, and I still went jogging/running on Saturday and had steak for dinner. Today I'm in PJs, sweating and exhausted. So excited only one treatment left!

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
IrvineFriend

OH, just FYI. Main reason for wanting a Rx for hot flashes as I get extreme nausea with the hot flash. About 25% of people do get some nausea as the vomit center is in the same part of the brain that controls the internal thermostat, causing the hot flashes. I was throwing up at work and that wasn't so fun. Maybe the supplements will help with that. Thus far, the menopause has been the worst symptom of all.

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
Old 04-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

Yes, Julie -- very important. Going off Effexor is a slow weaning process. Even though I was crazed by that drug (super forgetful, scattered, unable to focus, feeling like my knees were about to collapse) I had strict instructions on how to stop it.

I live by my lists. Can't function without them. Have been like that forever. I smile, as my dghtrs used to tease me about that, and now -- they make lists -- in magic marker!!

Amazed at your energy, yet you did crash, like the rest of us at a certain point w/tx. You will rally. I am sure. Oh the flashes are brutal. I would be dripping wet or at best clammy, not wanting people to shake my head, or knowing when they put their cheek to mine to kiss, they'd comment. Makes you feel so icky. But I never got nauseous.

With chemo, I would take Phenergan (in '95) and for the major nausea Zofran. They may have newer stuff out there. Some anti nausea meds did not work on me. You have to find your match.

When pregnant, 1,000 yrs ago, I would eat saltines and drink ginger ale. Nausea is truly sucky, I know.

Hope you'll soon be back to an acceptably good normal!

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 04-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
IrvineFriend

I only took the Effexor one day, and thought it was silly to be taking Ritalin and then falling alseep in my office chair from the Effexor so I posted about it and decided not to take it again with all the other stuff I'm on.

I will bounce back, I've alwasy been strong and stubborn! Thanks for the advise!

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
Old 04-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
Andrea Barnett Budin

STRONG-WILLED AND STUBBORN HAS ALWAYS WORKED FOR ME!

And my supplements give me energy. Not that I'll be jogging any time soon, but I'm perky and moving...

Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
v-ness

Effexor is a *nightmare* to get off. i JUST got free of it a couple weeks ago and it literally took months. i had horrible brain shocks when my brain was searching for it and couldn't find it in my system. come to find out this is common. i could kill the onco who prescribed it without telling me. so i had to slowly slowly taper down and even when i was on 1/4 of the smallest dose my brain still did its little lightning bolt. it finally diminished. it's a real crap experience. lucky you avoided it. valerie
2/10 began 7 wks of radiation
6/10 mom dies of primary peritoneal ovarian cancer
8/10 got my last remaining ovary out
10/10 mammogram all clear
3/11 MRI shows 5 'spots' in right breast, largest 1 cm unidentifiable on US
needle biopsy proved the largest to be old inflamed cyst -phew!
7/10 switched to Arimidex
8/9 switched to Femara - allergic to arimidex
Femara made me lose hair quickly so switched to Aromasin
Aromasin made my hair fall out too and the bone pain was too much.
back on Tamoxifen 1/2013.
blood clot from trains and planes 5/2014 so on coumadin per onco for as long as i am on tamoxifen
tamoxifen was supposed to be up with my 5 yrs in may but my boyfriend was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer so i am staying on tamoxifen indefinitely because i want some ammo against BC, given the stress. lost my husband in only 10 wks in 2007 to stage 4 esophageal cancer.
cancer's screwing with another man i love
2/2016 - 6yrs in remission, off tamoxifen and off coumadin - yay!
v-ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
IrvineFriend

Valerie (And Andi) - My fear of Effexor was the discontinuation issues. It's supposedly the worst, Paxil being the 2nd. Patients tend to fire their doctor while they're discontinuing or off it given the hell they had to go through.

In desperation this weekend, I took it a couple days because I didn't think I would make it through the weekend. I was so sick all weekend - Tuesday (also got a bladder infection on Tuesday). I don't think a couple will cause any withdrawal (I hope) because I spent a good deal of time today re-reading posts from people who loathe the doctor that prescribed it and I'm frightened of going through that again like I did with Paxil many years ago. One woman has been getting off it for over a year.

Thanks for the support in finding something else. I will definitely research this and suggest another option. Not everyone has menopause that is debiliating, but I honestly couldn't function and I've been able to work all through my surgeries and chemo. I was back to work almost FT 18-days after my double mastectomy. But I can't function from hot flashes? The entire thing is just so bizarre to me. But I know some are like this and find out today my sister was the same. She couldn't work during chemo and menopause symptoms were the worst thing she suffered from. My family typically don't go into menopause until late 50's and 60's so it's particularly hard to be forced into it in our 40's.

By the way, GINGER has worked wonders on the nausea. I did not have ANY faith it would help, but I stopped vomiting the day I started taking it and actually ate lunch and dinner tonight, albeit very small.

THANK YOU!!!!

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm