HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2013, 03:38 AM   #1
Harpreet

Arrow Some advice regarding Herceptin

Hello, everyone.
I had a thread in the newcomers forum, but I guess this would be a more appropriate place to ask further questions. So making a new thread here.

I wanted to write in here with good news. But every good news comes with some shade of the bad... I wanted to go yay! when mom was going through her last chemo last Tuesday. But there was a slight complication. I'll just copy some blog posts here directly.

6th Chemotherapy
March 5, 2013 · by HC
Life just doesn’t get easy, does it? Just when you think you are nearing the end of a road, you see a bend that asks you to go a distance further. Mom had a bit of swelling on her legs a few days earlier… I thought it would be an after effect of the chemo. Today Dr Ghosh said that it was because of the Herceptin.

She asked us to do a 2-d Echo again. Mom’s ejection fraction has come down from 65% to 55% so Ghosh asked us to hold off the Herceptin. Thankfully, mom told her that the 350ml of Herceptin we have left would go to waste. That would be a little over 50 grand down the poop chute. So Ghosh said she understood but a 10% drop in the ejection fraction meant that the heart was being affected by the herceptin, so in order to be really sure it was okay, mom would have to go through a MUGA scan.

So we are all trying to get an appointment for mom to get this done – if all is well, the Herceptin can be used on Tuesday next, just within the window period of its expiry… Goddammit.

So right now, mom’s getting her Chemotherapy. Let’s see what happens with the Herceptin. I feel like screaming!!!!

Day 3 after 6th Chemotherapy
March 8, 2013 · by HC
Today we were supposed to go for the MUGA test. But -

Geeta woke me up at 10am in a panic. She thought mom had a stroke. Because mom was unresponsive and not speaking or moving. When I went up to her, her eyes were moving and she tried speaking but was stuttering with halted speech and broken words. I checked her limb movements. Asked her to move her fingers, hands, arms, toes and legs. But she couldn’t move her right arm properly. So Geeta and I freaked. But I did check her pupils and they dilated well.

I called Anand, bua, Dr Merchant and Bhavesh. Anand and bua because I wanted them to know and Bhavesh because I wanted him to take us to a hospital if need be. Dr Merchant said he would come home immediately.

In the meantime, I told Geeta to check her diabetes. And I put in a spoonful of sugar in her mouth. The diabetes came to 38! So I put in a spoonful of glucose in mom’s mouth. She started speaking a little and I told her to rest and not worry. Though Geeta and I were quietly freaking out…

I checked the diabetes again and it had come up to 73.

I realised it was hypoglycemia. Mom has had a history of neuropathy. She would get up at 4am with intense giddiness and she would also vomit at times. So Geeta and I both surmised that this must have been a reaction of the fall in sugar.

Dr Merchant came in, checked her reflexes, eyes, heart, and ruled out a stroke. I took mom to the loo and she had a motion. She told me she has also been going through a constipated phase. Her sugar fell to 58 again.

Dr Merchant gave her an intravenous drip with 50ml of Dextrose (glucose). In a bit, she started getting better. She ate food. Tea, and even a chocolate.

After the drip, mom’s sugar came up to 258 and she is now talking well, her arms and legs are fine.

But this was a scare.

==================================================

I am wondering if the MUGA shows that there is no problem with the heart, should we go ahead and take in the 6th treatment of Herceptin? Has anyone else gone through this problem? Is there any problem if the Herceptin treatment stops? Will 5 treatments instead of 17 be enough? I am very confused.

And I just reread the topic title - I should have added "some advice regarding Herceptin needed"
IDC, 3cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 1/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+
Surgery: Modified Radical Mastectomy (left breast)
Targeted Therapy: Herceptin (begun 23rd November, 2012)
Chemotherapy: Carboplatin, Docetaxel
(begun 23rd November, 2012; ended 5th March, 2013)
Hormonal Therapy:
Femara (2 years), Tamoxifen (3 years)

www.mymoca.wordpress.com

Last edited by Harpreet; 03-08-2013 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: tried to edit the topic title - but failed
Harpreet is offline   Reply With Quote