HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
LoisAnn

Smile Para-vertebral nerve block vs. General Anesthesia

This is Lois' daughter.
I'm wondering if anyone else here had surgery with this type of local anesthesia instead of general? My Mother had a modified radical mastectomy this Tue. with "full axillary node dissection." She kept telling me she wasn't having general, mostly because I kept questioning her, and asking as to the type of procedure, as I couldn't imagine anything this extensive being done with a local. (As usual), what she stated was precisely accurate.

About 1/2 hr prior to going in the anesthesiologist came in to perform the block injections. Mom said the 3 injections along the spine in her upper back were minimally uncomfortable. What was truly amazing is that she was awake, but sedated, throughout the procedure, but when she arrived in her room she kept stating she had NO pain, as in NONE whatsoever! No nausea, no pain.

A few hours later, shortly after coming out of recovery, she ate a liquid type meal, then she got up & we took a long walk all around the floor she was on. She seemed fine - normal, actually. Perfectly comfortable. That evening they gave her 2 regular tylenol. She slept well, then another 2 regular tylenol the next morning, despite her insisting she had NO pain at all.

She ate a big breakfast, washed up, dressed (all on her own) by 9am, we took another long walk then waited to leave. She has taken no pain meds since. We walked & climbed stairs for exercise later that afternoon after she got home. Her only "resting" that day was while she read the newspaper! Her only complaint was that she was slightly bored, as the 5 lb weight restriction limited her lifting/activities. She washed dishes, filled the dishwasher, then instructed me NOT to empty it, stating that would give her something to do right away in the morning. She went to bed at 9:30pm, sleeping well & soundly all night, and was up by 8, dressed, and busy all day. Her energy level & behavior is as if nothing at all happened! After being busy all day we went down & played cards with her group for several hours this evening, friends stopped by this afternoon & evening. She just now headed to bed at midnight!

Her surgeon stated that since the nerves were blocked prior to being injured, her patients who have this type of nerve block typically experience minimal post-operative pain. Truly amazing, (both Mom, and this new anesthesia procedure!) I'm actually rather stunned. Maybe its because about half the town here has been praying for her. Uh, I think its working. Wow, I am in awe!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Re: Para-vertebral nerve block vs. General Anesthesia

Your mom is one tough woman, and thanks for sharing so that others can consider it in making their own choices.

I had just a lumpectomy at age 51, and I don't remember being quite THAT hardy. When the anesthesiologist met with me he indicated I would have a general, but my surgeon walked in, and knowing me, told the anesthesiologist that I was not to have a general. I enjoyed being awake during the entire process, including personally examining the chunks of breast that were removed and discussing it all throughout the procedure, including the removal of one sentinel node (benign). After surgery he asked how many pain pills I wanted, 10 or 25, and I said 10. I ended up using just 3 of them.

Congrats to your mom on getting through the first part so well. I will advise some caution about overdoing since one has a harder time undoing any problems from that.

AlaskaAngel
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Rich66

Re: Para-vertebral nerve block vs. General Anesthesia

Besides the quicker recovery, there is thought that general anesthesia can contribute to/accelerate Alzheimer's as well as cancer spread.
For some reason, US tends to use general for mastectomy whereas Europe is open to spinals. My mom had general for a parathyroid surgery about a year before "known" recurrence.
Anyway..sure sounds like it worked out. Might give your mom greater peace knowing there may be multiple benefits.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote